Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crossmax XL – any good?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

?

tim41
    Free Member

I've got a crossmax XL front which i got 2nd hand off the classifieds as I needed a 20mm bolt through wheel and wanted crossmax rims. Experience of the 20mm adapters is that they are very hard to get hold of! The wheel has been fine, though it's only had limited use.

I think I read on the forum (when researching the elusive adpaters), that the XL rear wheels had big wear issues with the freehub. Rear ones don't seem to come up very often 2nd hand, which suggests they've all died long ago. Getting Mavic parts does seem to be a nightmare. My LBS said Mavic were very difficult to deal with. I think there was a thread yesterday on earlier crossmax freehub issues.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Crossmax SL freehubs wear against the hub body. This allows the freehub to float causing poor chain engagement. Mince design.

postierich
    Free Member

Great set of wheels,no freehub wear issues on mine 😉

or your money back

johnikgriff
    Free Member

As said. The freehubs are the weakness. Just check its fine to start with and then look after it. Look at this for more info

Rougemechanic Crossmax XL info

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Got mine second hand a couple of years ago. No problems at all with them (touch wood). Light enough, tough, 20mm or qr, tubeless and they look good. Fine with 2.3 tyres despite being narrow.

dickie
    Free Member

Had three pairs, still got two pairs, all bought used, all very good & reliable, never needed truing, just done a DIY hub service on both thats quick & easy to do.
    Can't fault them, run UST tyres & had no issues.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Hi Rich 😉

dobo
    Free Member

very good, i've not yet had to do the front bearings but had to change the rear which is easy after the first time, bearings are cheap and not a problem to get.
    i have some play in my freehub bush? now but still works fine. just chuck a cassete on and wobble it to check for play.
    qr's are good too
    work very well tubeless as you would expect being ust..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crossmax XL – any good?’ is closed to new replies.