Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crossing the Alps
  • RickyRah
    Free Member

I’m in the process of planning the route for a tour next summer. We’re looking to pass through Geneva and then cross the Alps into Italy as directly as possible [this means one major climb]. Two possible routes I have go over either Simplon Pass or Grand St Bernard Pass. From looking at mapmyride it seems that Simplon Pass, despite being a smaller climb, has quite a few long tunnels which I’d like to avoid.

So, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these climbs and can offer any advice?

muchbettertom
    Free Member

How about the Col du Petit St Bernard? past Bourg st Maurice, then a climb up to the col. Road up to Bourg might be a bit of a mission, but not too many tunnels? Drops you at La Thuile in italy.

Climb itself isn’t too bad – reasonably scenic. There is also a largely off road route up, if thats your thing. I think it starts around Saint Germaine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I seem to recall a nice statue at CdPSB. No other advice but sounds like an awesome trip but I’d be doing less planning and coping with various calamities in the way.

HavE a great trip!

thomthumb
    Free Member

I seem to recall a nice statue at CdPSB.

tis something to do with the monks who ran the refuge up there…

muchbettertom
    Free Member

Yeah, there’s a nice wee statue at the top (and just over the boarder, a VERY good little cafe 😉 )

RickyRah
    Free Member

Thanks for that guys. Sounds like a better option. It’s a group of mixed abilities so I’m trying to keep the amount of climbing to a minimum.

muchbettertom
    Free Member

The col is at 2188m, a few hundred less than the grand st bernard.
    I’d have a look at the route up to Bourg though, the N90 might not be the most friendly road.

james-o
    Free Member

the Pt St Bernard’s nice, not a bad climb at all. fairly long but not steep.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crossing the Alps’ is closed to new replies.