Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Creaky Frame syndrome…
  • Pukeko
    Free Member

Frame creaking doing my head in. Thought it was BB on Anthem X2. Have installed new Hope BB, new pedals, suspension bearings/bushes seem ok (no play)but there is no change. Any load on the pedals, even seated with slight uphill on the road, causes loads of creaking. Has anyone had similar experience? Grrrr, HELP – any ideas before I throw my tools…

lipseal
    Free Member

Have a play with seat post and saddle.

Bing
    Free Member

Sounds like its knackered, ill give you £5 for it and im doing you a favour!

Alternatively, its prob the seat post into the frame – remove, clean both, grease and reinstall. or the saddle onto the post, or the saddle, or ill give you £3 for it and all your problems will be gone! 8)

Bing
    Free Member

Damn it too slow!

wwaswas

I had this on a bike – it was the brake hose/gear cables slightly rubbing on the frame by the headtube – it got worse when I was stood/climbing because I moved the bars more.

just ‘hold stuff’ as your riding along and see if it stops when you do.

avalanche
    Free Member

I have taken a tin of WD40 with me on a ride to spray on one joint at a time to discover the cause of a creak by process of elimination. (Bottom equilink bush on my Felt compulsion) Pedals are usually the first to creak, but you say they are new. Seatpost or seat rails is also a good call. I would then spend a few hours dismantling and making sure all threads are greased and torqued correctly. Good hunting.

Pukeko
    Free Member

Cheers. I’ll have another look at post but I think it’s lower down. Just standing next to bike with brakes on and putting some good pressure on non drive side pedal makes frame creak. It sounded BB’ish but have relubed most bits and was still there so put new BB and pedals on just to rule that out.

Bing, maybe you’re right – knackered… but it would be cruel of me to inflict this creak on others even for cash.

bob_summers

QR skewers can sound like a BB creak. Undo & redo them, even if they’re already tight.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sounds like a cracked frame to me. You dinged it all recently?

😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

can you eliminate it by different riding styles? Does it do it out of the saddle? Does it do it when youre freewheeling, pedalling, or both?

My last 2 annoying creaks were a dirty seatpost head clamp bolt (ie. the bit that clamps the saddle rails) and dirty/dry BB threads on a brand new BB installation. This was a particularly loud creak/crack but solved by cleaning the BB shell and BB cup threads, then greasing with copper grease (which I thought I’d done adequately on initial installation bu obviously hadn’t).

Pukeko
    Free Member

Bandito; MTB’s are designed to be dinged!! aren’t they ?!?!

Getting tools back out for another go now I have a cuppa 😯

fruitbat

I had elusive creaking problems and eventually traced it to the seatpost area (aluminium frame with aluminium seatpost). It would creak even when out the saddle!

Fixed by using that Pace RC007 grease with the wee bits in it. It also allows the clamp work without it being super tight. Good stuff.

Pukeko
    Free Member

Munqe-Chick, thanks for tip. I did give BB clean but going to remove BB and clean again throughly as suggested. Can’t remember mnfr of grease i’m using – it’s white…

bullroar
    Free Member

QR skewers can sound like a BB creak. Undo & redo them, even if they’re already tight.

+1 took me about 2 weeks to find it on my 5, your description is very similar to the problem I had. Took out skewer bit of lube on the shaft and silence.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Mine creaked after a year and a half. One of the bolts on the rocker arm was too tight. Take it out, greased the bearing and loctited in the bolt and no more noise.

speaker2animals

Different animal but I had a creak on my carbon road bike from the off. At first only happened if I was really honking up a hill but by the summer even sat down it creaked badly when giving it some rice. To the point I was annoyed and embarrassed and my ride mates were beginning to moan. I tried all things I could think of but with no luck. Planet X recommended copperslip on the rear drop-outs. You what thinks I? Bl**dy well did the job though. Not saying it will solve your problem but give it a go, you never know.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Creaky Frame syndrome…’ is closed to new replies.