Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Creaking carbon
  • ajantom

Went out for a lovely ride on Dartmoor today 😉 25 km or so, and dry as a bone.

But the ride was marred somewhat by a persistent creaking from the front end. Checked all the bolts, etc. and it’s not long since I serviced the headset. Only things I could think it might be were the carbon raceface bars, or the Pace RC41s. Now should I worry, or is carbon prone to creaking at all? Anyone had any experience of either items like these developing a creak? The sound seemed to be happening slightly most of the time, but was worse when honking out of the saddle.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

cable ferrules into the gear shifters? stem/steerer interface – especially if you’re using spacers.

ajantom

Maybe, might be worth taking everything apart and adding a bit extra grease/oil.

It’s not that bad, but I hate a noisy bike 😡

Moving to a full suss from a hardtail single speed has been annoying for the amount of little noises you get!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I had creaking carbon, right before my crank sheared off and I had 5 miles of alpine trail to ride one-footed 🙂 Dont take a chance, take it all apart, check for damage and re-assemble.

ajantom

Were they carbon cranks? I worry about the bars sometimes! Not sure if I could trust cranks as they get knocked all the time.

Going to give the bike another overhaul this week. Worth making sure everything’s ok.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

carbon tends to go floppy before it fails, so check for any unusual levels of flex. The idea that carbon hide damage is a bit of a myth, once it starts to delaminate it looses all its stiffness and probably fail fairly quickly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Creaking carbon’ is closed to new replies.