Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 1/2 term family visit to London, what to do?
  • rhysie
    Free Member

Right then, help needed.

3 day visit to London from deep down in Cornwall. Kids 9 and 7 have never been and neither the wife or I have much London experience so……

what MUST we do?
    Staying in Covent Garden. Already booked London Eye and planning to do Science Museum and Natural History Museum, Hamleys (And Apple Store!!)and walk past Buckingham Palace. What else?

thanks

Rhys

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hang on…
    There you go!

flip
    Free Member

Doing this myself, staying in Mayfair, so by the Palace. Don’t fancy Madam Tussaurds my 6 yr old son would be bored.

Going to go on Thames cruise and Natural History museum.

Not going shopping!! Is th Tower of London any good?

Suggestions please, sorry to hijack.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Madame Tassauds/Planetarium, London Aquarium,Tower of London,St Pauls Cathederal,Millenium Bridge,Tate Modern,HMS Belfast,London Dungeon,Thames Boat Trip including the Barrier,Tower Bridge to name but a few of the popular sights
    Obviously the Eye and maybe a look round Docklands too, then there is the Zoo and Regents Park,Camden Market,Transport Museum,London Museum and my favourite the Imperial War Museum

Just the best city in the world and proud to call it my home,enjoy!!

rhysie
    Free Member

Thank you all, wife will be vvv impressed!!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Just the best city in the world and proud to call it my home

Are you me????

You are so, so right!

Spongebob
    Free Member

I highly recommend the Sience museum. It’s free, as is the Natural History Museum. Harrods is not far from there and you can get lunch in one of their less formal restaurants. Not cheap, but not exorbitant either. Harrods itself is worth a look, especially the food halls. Not much fun for kids, but the toy section isn’t bad.

Check and see if the funfair is still operating in Leicester square. Very well lit up at night and so is Picadilly Circus – an easy walk from Covent Garden. There is also the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden. Covent garden is buzzing at night with no shortage of eateries. You will also find street performers drawing big crouds around the Piazza.

See a show! I recommend Joseph for the kids with (a short walk away from where you are staying on the Strand). Booking at short notice might be difficult, but there are kiosks around that sell last minute tickets.

The Hard Rock Cafe on the corner of Hyde Park is an experience, but you often have a long wait. To get round this they give out pagers so you can go off. Green Park is opposite and Buckinham Palace is a five minute walk across this park.

Right near the London Eye, you have the London Aquarium (under the old GLC building)

The London Dungeon used to be a great attraction, on the South side of London Bridge. Also near here is HMS Belfast which you can go on.

There are loads of things to do, but I would check everything out online and have a good look at Google Earth before you travel to get your bearings and avoid dissapointment.

Have a great break!

Sandwich

Don’t forget the Transport Museum in Covent Garden Piazza. Old buses and the like.
    There is a fantastic model shop just up the road from Holborn Station and the Grand Lodge on Queen Street (HQ for Spooks and CI5).
    Try to get cheap tickets to a child friendly show from the booth in Leicester Square (in the square not alongside the underground).
    National Portrait Gallery is worth a look for a couple of minutes (choose the rooms to visit before you go).

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I went to the London Aquarium a few years back and was hugely unimpressed – it’s nowhere near as good as the Brighton Sea Life imo, which is coming on to 150 years old 😯

The London Eye is excellent imo and I keep meaning to go back on it at night time.

If you like Chinese food and culture you could perhaps pay a visist to Gerrard Street in Soho :

andym
    Free Member

Never been to the London Dungeon but it does seem to be incredibly popular.

If you have time you could try DLR to Greenwich and then back by boat.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the Natural History museum…only good thing about it is the dinosaur skeletons in the entrance.
    And it will be hugely over-crowded!

cbike
    Free Member

The London dungeon is badly acted rubbish. as is the Edinburgh dungeon.
    I failed to take heed of my own warnings and have been to both.

withersea
    Free Member

Tate modern has some great stuff from kids and after visiting you can walk across the bridge to St Pauls.

Joe

Madam Tussaurds is always shite. Everyone i have ever known who goes there thinks its shite. Why bother? Whats so clever about a loada wax figures in this modern day and age. Utter pish and well expeisnife. London Zoo is better if you fancy a toursit swizz; atleast they have stuff you havent seen before.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

My only suggestion would be, where possible, especially round the west end, walk everywhere, really helps you appreciate it.

aP
    Free Member

The great thing about London is that the centre isn’t as big as you might think and lots of central London is walkable. From Covent Garden you could walk along the Strand to St Pauls, then over the wobbly bridge to Tate Modern then along the river to Waterloo Bridge which has the best river view of London (best just at dusk).
    The Imperial War Museum is good and just a short distance away by bus, Green Park is a 10 minute walk away from where you’re staying as is Trafalgar Sq, Leicester Sq etc.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the Natural History museum…only good thing about it is the dinosaur skeletons in the entrance.

Eh? The Nat Hist is one of the best museums in the World!!!! Even the building itself is stunning!

Plenty of fantastic stuff, and exhibitions like the Wildlife Photographer of the Year, which are truly second to none.

Then you’ve got stuff like huge tapeworms in jars (kids love stuff like that), and one of my faves, the display of rocks and stones and stuff, in the geological history section.

And the best bit is…

…it’s free!!!!

I’m going on Thursday!! I’m soooo excited!

azarat
    Free Member

Condor cycles – Greys Inn Road is always a must.

corroded
    Free Member

shameless plug:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Leisure-Guide-London-Guides/dp/0749550155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233583305&sr=8-1
    /shameless plug

Not sure when FC last went to the NHM, but that’s a must-do. Not a big fan of the art, but Tate Modern’s building is definitely worth looking around and the Millennium Bridge to St Paul’s – there are lots of boat trips from here up and down the river.
    Attractions like Tussaud’s and London Dungeon are hideously over-priced and crowded so wouldn’t be on my list. I’d probably see one of the great Wren cathedrals or churches – there are good views from the top of St Paul’s. Some of the guided walks are a lot of fun, though the gorier ones perhaps not for kids. Check with the tourist office as there’ll be tons of activities for children such as late-nights or sleepovers at major attractions.
    Kew Gardens and Regent’s Park probably favourite bits of greenery if the weather is nice. Lots of quirkier things I’d make time for, such as Dennis Sever’s House near Spitalfields. The dinosaurs at Crystal Palace are probably too far out to be worth the trip.
    It’s good you’re staying so centrally – don’t forget to see the shops in Covent Garden, around the Seven Dials area.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The Nat Hist is one of the best museums in the World!!!! Even the building itself is stunning!

Have to agree.

The last time I went they had expanded the dinosaur exibit to include lots of life size models.

And you have to see the Blue Whale.

geoffj

Pfffft – I have the pleasure of going to the museum about a dozen times a year for meetings, and I never ever tire of it. It is wonderful. You must go!

And have a go on this:
    London Duck Tours

steelfan
    Free Member

Natural History Museum is a must as is the Science museum.

Imperial war museum is also very good, just a short walk from Lambeth North Tube Station or Waterloo.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Actually, I can’t believe FoxyChick dismissed the Nat Hist like that!

That’s like saying ‘don’t bother with the Lake District, as it’s just a few hills with some ponds’.

Flaperon

Science Museum, Planetarium, London Eye all recommended. Not so much the Transport Museum which felt more like a Ken Livingstone propaganda machine than a museum.

Flaperon

Science Museum, Planetarium, London Eye all recommended. Not so much the Transport Museum which felt more like a Ken Livingstone propaganda machine than a museum.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

LOL!!

Hairychested
    Free Member

The cafe at V&A is good too. And how about The Tea and Coffee Museum?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

And how about The Tea and Coffee Museum?

The Museum is closed for refurbishment until early 2009

I’m not entirely sure whether it will open again, you know. But you could get a bloody good cuppa in there!

I might ‘do lunch’ at the V+A on Thursday. Ooh, la di da!

Rivett
    Free Member

Second the Greenwich thing. A nice place. Also try Mildreds Cafe on Lexington Ave, Soho way. A veggy place but the food is spot on. I always have Burger of the day. Also the OXO tower has a nice bar with a good view.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘1/2 term family visit to London, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.