Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Creaking bike – am I doomed?
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

Hi all, bike has started creaking ominously over last couple of weeks, enough to really get me a bit concerned! I’ve checked the pedals, stripped regreased them, all ok, changed the chain, all ok, checked the hubs n spokes (my last creaking incident was because my rear wheel wasn’t sat in rhr frame properly!! :oops:)

So can anyone advise? Mate who is a bike mech reckons the frame might be cracked – I can’t see anything, but would I be able to? It’s only 5 months old, so under warranty, but from canyon (yes I know, paying for the import now!) so I can’t just drop it back to them.

carlphillips
    Free Member

tighten the mech hanger bolt? has worked for me on mysterious creakyness in the past.

Jamie
    Free Member

Seatpost/saddle. It’s always the seatpost/saddle.

spudly1979
    Free Member

I’ll check the mech(!) tomorrow, good god I hope you’ve found it!

Def not seat post or saddle as it still creaks when I pedal standing up.

Only Creaks when I pedal uphills btw, as I put pressure down on the pedals on each side. No creak if I bounce on suspension. Irritating!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Grease your cleats and lube the release springs on your spds. Pedal cleat interface can cause nasty creaking noises. Try rotating your feet slightly as you pedal to see if it goes.
    If you have a Hope QR rear take it out grease the brass bushing and replace as they are known to cause creaks when dry.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

check the bottom bracket

MarkyG82

+1 for bottom bracket.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Hi guys, thanks for replies.

Running flats so no issues with sods or cleats.

Had bb out, checked bearings and been cleaned n regreased.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Need to try and swap out stuff not just remove lube and refit.
    I’d start with the pedels then the bb. After that it gets a bit hit and miss.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Cheers orange boy, my mate suggested that with the pedals and I kind of ignored it! If it turns out to be something that simple now….

mike_p
    Free Member

Saddle/post is no.1
    BB is no.2

Just stripped my Whyte 19 due to creakyness, turns out I need a new BB and the rear disc mount is out of alignment 🙁

spudly1979
    Free Member

It’s going in to lbs tmoz, so I’ll ask them to check the bb again. I’m hoping it’ll turn out to be something simple, even a new bb would be easier to sort than a replacement frame!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

chainring bolts?…

robsoctane
    Free Member

mine was doing that for the whole week until i found the culprit part today – the main pivot fastener had wound loose, tightened it and now all fine. Good luck – I bloody hate noisy bikes! 😐

cheburashka
    Free Member

Pedal bearing.

bazhall
    Free Member

Try the stem as well as my bike was creaking for while and turned out to be the stem after checking the linkage bolts, bb etc.

willber
    Free Member

+1 for Chain Ring Bolts, very common cause of creaks.

jedi

quick release?

argoose
    Free Member

Grease rear axle

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

can also be the seat rails/frame if carbon…

elliott-20
    Free Member

Hedging my bets on pedal axles and bottom bracket.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Take off the mech hanger ad drop out, clean them and the recess on the frame, bit of grease to the recess on the frame then re fit drop out and hanger.

I hope you get it sorted, nothing more annoying!

I’m currently having arguments with my brakes and squeaking , not when applying the brakes but on rotation!

pjm84
    Free Member

+1 for Mech hanger.

Had the similar problem. Drove me crazy and after 2hrs of messing around with the headset, pedals , chainset, BB, skewers , spokes and checking the frame over I finally decided to check the mech hanger! Arghhh

spudly1979
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for the replies guys, I shall check n grease everything suggested.

Glad to see no one has suggested the dreaded cracked frame, I’m going to assume that means it 100%, definitely can’t be the farme!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Creaking bike – am I doomed?

Aren’t we all?

spudly1979
    Free Member

quick update – and the winner is….rear mech hanger! my eternal thanks go to Carl Phillips!

Checked it over this morning and the bolts holding this to the frame were a little loose – couple of turns later and its (nearly) sorted. Still a bit of a noise, but more of a clicking than a creak.

Think its either pedal bearings or headset, so they’re next on the list.

lufctom
    Free Member

Lucky…! I had a creaky frame on my old GT avalanche. Ignored it thinking it was a bit of wear and tear on the bearings etc, then found out it was a cracked frame the hard way!!!

spudly1979
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, sadly we found the main culprit and it was a crack in the headtube!
    Contacted canyon and after a bit of faff they agreed to replace under warranty.

New frame and non creaky bike here I come!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Creaking bike – am I doomed?’ is closed to new replies.