Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Crc bargain brake question?
  • rhid

The shimano m486 brakes going nice and cheap on CRC seen like a bargain. How would they compare to my current hateful elixir 5s? I’m thinking of comparison in power, feel and easy of setting up.

I currently run the avids with 185mm rotors and I really don’t like them. Plus I have just rounded off the front’s pads retention pin so cannot replace the pads. I wantbtyo get rid of them!

Would the budget ones do the trick or are the newer m596s the ones to go for?

weeksy

TBH mate, i sold my Formulas because these are so bloody good. They’re a bargain. Well worth the money.

rhid

That’s what I like to hear! They are for my spare/commuter HT so I am happy not to spend a fortune on new brakes for it. Thanks for the info.

toys19
    Free Member

They are good, but I love elixir 5s, so if you buy some I might take the 5’s off you

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Are these the £14.99 ones? The pic is just of the caliper, are the lever and hose included?

rhid

Toys, if you want them they are yours mail me on rhid14@hot mail.com to discuss.

From what I have read on other threads concerning the brakes you do get lever and caliper. I hope…..

Neil-F
    Free Member

Lever, hose and caliper is included, but the hoses are quite short, probably for a small sized bike. i think my hoses were 700mm and 1200mm.
    Fine on my lads 14″ DJ type bike with a 100mm fork, but too short on my 17″ full susser with a 130mm fork. 😉

rhid

I just measured he hose on my current set up 700mm ‘should’ be fine. I think I even have 2 160mm rotor off my old subzero in the shed which should fit nicely. Hoarding stuff clearly pays off!

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Is it easy to replace the hose on these? They’re going on an 18″ Orange P7 with 130mm fork.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Dead easy to replace the hose. You might need a new insert and olive for each end of each hose.

I think they are handed opposite to UK standard, i.e. left lever = front brake, so you can switch them round when you are replacing the hoses. It does mean that you can use the longer hose and cut it down to do the front and you only need to disconnect one end for that one and so only one olive and insert.

You will need a new length of hose and two olives and inserts when you come to do the rear.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just as a bit of a PSA the superstar hose is compatible with shimano olives/inserts/bolts

toys19
    Free Member

Rhid, have emailed you

smartmonkey
    Free Member

I had a set of these recently for the pub bike, they now seem to come with a 1500mm rear hose, although the description hasn’t changed.
    HTH
    SM

eugeo81
    Free Member

Thanks for heads up Smartmonkey, hoping mine turn up with 1500mm rear hose. Anything has gotta be better than current Juicy 5’s!!

eugeo81
    Free Member

Gotta say I am quite impressed by these for £30, took them out for a cheeky test this afternoon. Plenty of power, especially stopping my 16st with 160mm rotors!

stanfree
    Free Member

I bought 2 sets and they both had a rear with a 1500mm hose and there dead easy to swap over. There also better than my old juicy 3’s .

eugeo81
    Free Member

You are lucky! My rear was 1200 and front was 850. An £11 rear bh90 hose from merlin sorted my short hose dilemma out though. And I had a spare olive and insert stashed for shortening the front. These are so easy to bleed compared to bloody avids too.

righog
    Free Member

Mine have just arrived 😀 . Great Value for £30, to help resurrect an old frame. They are continental ( wrong way round ) but I think I will just get away with the hose lengths on a medium 100mm hard tail. Need to find some rotors and hope I can recycle the inserts olives.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Just ordered a set, no idea why but at that price how could I not?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Crc bargain brake question?’ is closed to new replies.