Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Stuff you never (thought you'd) see yourself paying money for?
  • midlifecrashes

Onesies, obviously.

Ringtones.

Watching television. (License fee excepted)

Room to room wireless music systems. Who told us we needed that, cant you stick the headphones in your walkman or pick up your radio and take it with you?

What other stuff do you look at and think WTF, they saw you coming?

And what stuff did you think WTF but turns out is worth every penny.

(Fatbikes and 29ers, take it over there <<<<<<<< :wink:)

restless
    Free Member

Frozen yorkshire puddings, they are my little secret 😳

samuri
    Free Member

Full sus bikes. Every one I bought provided me with a hateful, painfilled existence until they left my life.

at the other end….

A fixed wheel cyclocross bike. My wife thought I was crazy, my friends thought I was crazy, I thought I was crazy. That bike gave me more smiles per penny than anything else that has ever been in my life.

There may be a theme going on here.

loddrik
    Free Member

Drugs, after 15 years of getting them for free, for the last few years I’ve had to pay for them. It p!sses me off no end…

luffy105
    Free Member

Reverb seat post. Thought it was a complete gimmick until Saturday. Now can’t imagine not having one

Stoner
    Free Member

Dolmio “Creamy sauce for lasagne”

FFS.

*EDIT*

Ohh you mean stuff youve actually spent money on that you should rightly be strung up for?

midlifecrises you should be ashamed of the onesie…

skaifan
    Free Member

Vehicle repairs. Left school at 16 to work on ferraris. 16 years later and I am paying people to fix my very old skoda.

Stoner
    Free Member

TBF you could fix an old ferrari with a hammer, nowadays you need an electronics degree to open the bonnet of a modern car 🙁

skaifan
    Free Member

TBF you could fix an old ferrari with a hammer

Provided you have the means to drop the engine, skinny wrists and Kevlar knuckles.

MrOvershoot

Flat bar steel!!!

FFS I have shed loads of it at work but I only needed 300mm of 20x6mm so had to stump up @ the local ironmongers.

That obscure enough for you?

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

sex , as you get older you realise you’ve always had to pay for 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

That’s the beauty of having sex by yourself.

MrSmith
    Free Member

ready mix batter. i can cook but toad in the hole has never worked properly despite various methods and recipes, beer, 1 egg 2 egg, 4ozflour-4flozwater-4flozmilk, no water, water, thick, runny, salt, no salt, hot oven, whisk, fork, in fridge, room temp, leave to stand, dont leave to stand, etc etc.

36p on sainsburys own brand, 400ml water and 2 eggs.

success. 8)

jota180
    Free Member

Mobile phones
    I’ve had a company phone with full personal use since the late 80s
    Now, if I put a tenner on my own phone every couple of months, I think it’s way OTT

dirtydog
    Free Member

Well, while where on the subject, Someone elses loan!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

ready mix batter. i can cook but toad in the hole has never worked properly despite various methods and recipes, beer, 1 egg 2 egg, 4ozflour-4flozwater-4flozmilk, no water, water, thick, runny, salt, no salt, hot oven, whisk, fork, in fridge, room temp, leave to stand, dont leave to stand, etc etc.
    36p on sainsburys own brand, 400ml water and 2 eggs.

You’re taking the piss, right?!?!?
    Batter (or Yorkshire pudding mix) is 3 ingredients: eggs, flour, milk. And you’re buying a mix and adding eggs and water to it? All you’re buying is flour, with a spoonful of powdered milk in it!!!
    Batter is THE easiest thing to make. It’s similar in technicality to making a pot of tea or putting your undercrackers on.
    😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

Condoms.

piemonster

In answer to the OP

Onesies, obviously. – NO

Ringtones. – NO, what are you 12?

Watching television. (License fee excepted) – NO, license fee excepted

Room to room wireless music systems. Who told us we needed that, cant you stick the headphones in your walkman or pick up your radio and take it with you? – NO, i don’t care what anyone says, I don’t need that.

What other stuff do you look at and think WTF, they saw you coming? – Fell Running shoes from Inov8, the robbing *****

And what stuff did you think WTF but turns out is worth every penny. – mobile phones (but only when used as an actual phone, for me everything else is superfluous toss)

(Fatbikes and 29ers, take it over there <<<<<<<< :wink:) – None of these. Cross, Road, Mountain (rigid) = me done

mattk
    Free Member

Pre-mashed mash potato and electronic books that I don’t really own.

RustySpanner

Prescriptions & eye tests.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ringtones?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I mean like, WTlikeF?

I never thought I’d pay to be whipped senseless by a gimp mask wearing 18 year old boy. But hey, it turns out it’s worth every penny.

pipnet1
    Free Member

I dont tend to buy stuff unless I need them (shiny bike bits excluded). The only things I never thought I would buy, but now will not get rid of are:

1, My netbook. Through my teens I was really into computers. Both hardware and software (programming) and couldn’t see the point of having a laptop/netbook/other variant on that theme. Then I borrowed my mates tiny first-gen netbook for a week. It was a revelation!

2. My fixie. As a out-and-out MTBer I never thought I would go near skinny tyres/big wheels, and fixed wheel just seemed daft, but I love the thing. It’s simple fun.

Things I wont be paying for: iPhones (or anything else made by Apple), stupid priced cycling gear, SKY/Virgin TV, 29er, Streamed movies, bike repairs….. I’m going to stop now

binners

I never thought I’d pay a fat Freddie Mercury lookalike to beat me up. In the end, it was money well spent

Turkish baths are great! 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

Batter (or Yorkshire pudding mix) is 3 ingredients: eggs, flour, milk. And you’re buying a mix and adding eggs and water to it? All you’re buying is flour, with a spoonful of powdered milk in it!!!
    Batter is THE easiest thing to make. It’s similar in technicality to making a pot of tea or putting your undercrackers on.

No. I can cook/bake but for whatever reason toad in the hole has always been a bit flaccid despite trying everything with the oil good and hot and not opening the oven it never performs.
    I’m sticking with the batter mix.

tinman66
    Free Member

Pre-grated cheese, WTF is that all about.

Bought it once because it had bits of chilli in it and couldn’t taste the chilli. Total waste of money for lazy people.

russianbob
    Free Member

No. I can cook/bake but for whatever reason toad in the hole has always been a bit flaccid despite trying everything with the oil good and hot and not opening the oven it never performs.
    I’m sticking with the batter mix.

Even easier is you remember the quantities using 1, 2, 3, 4 – 1/2 a pint of milk, 3 LARGE (important) eggs, 4oz flour.

MrSmith
    Free Member

3 eggs? I used to just use 4-4-2
    400ml 4oz and 2 eggs. Then took advice as to the ratio of milk/beer/water but was never happy with the results.
    I’m sticking with the 36p ready mix. It’s the nespresso of the batter world but it’s Delivering consistent results 🙂

bland

Jesus kids, yorkshire puddings are a synch.

The best recipe is equal measures of egg, milk and flour, tip the eggs into a glass, mark where they go to and fill milk and flour to that line.

Whisk getting loads of air in and let stand for a good while till at room temp.

Adding a tea spoon of boiling water prior to pouring in the tray can help too.

Lard in tray, oven on full, leave till smoking hot, keep oven door closed and tip batter in tray fast and get them back in. Dont open door till one of the edges starts to burn, take them out early and they will go soggy and flop, dont be bloody inpatient!

And hey presto, you will have ace puds! Nothing beats real puds and real roasties!

joao3v16
    Free Member

Pre-grated cheese, WTF is that all about

That’s what I thought. But very often it’s cheaper per kilo than blocks of cheese, so if you’re going to grate it anyway then it makes sense.

maccruiskeen

when you get up in years you’ll be paying for someone to do that too 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

Bottled water.
    <end of thread>

We don’t buy a lot – mostly just an ’emergency bottle’ on a long drive etc but, it pains me when we do.
    How on earth did we get convinced that we need this stuff. How on earth are we ‘convinced’ that something the label proudly proclaims has been filtered through rock, over ‘thousands of years’ then needs a use by date…..

Oh, thanks for tonights tea suggestion – off to the butchers for some sausage – toad in the hole it is 🙂

Cougar

Ooh, toad in the hole. Good shout.

thomthumb
    Free Member

internet bike forum 😈

d45yth
    Free Member

marsdenman – Member

Bottled water.
    <end of thread>

We don’t buy a lot – mostly just an ’emergency bottle’ on a long drive etc but, it pains me when we do.
    How on earth did we get convinced that we need this stuff. How on earth are we ‘convinced’ that something the label proudly proclaims has been filtered through rock, over ‘thousands of years’ then needs a use by date…..
    Too true! The folks at Evian know this all too well and thought it would be funny to have their company name as ‘naive’ backwards!

tracknicko
    Free Member

thought it would be funny to have their company name as ‘naive’ backwards!

not sure if joking…

i admit it’s a coincidence… but intentional? hmmmm.

http://goo.gl/maps/UaBvp

banks
    Free Member

Some one to clean my car

yossarian
    Free Member

I never thought I’d pay a fat Freddie Mercury lookalike to beat me up

was he slightly jewish looking?

JoeG
    Free Member

I never thought that I would ever buy components higher than Deore LX (now SLX) and that anyone that spent the $$$ for XT and XTR was crazy!

Well, I just ordered $200 Race Face cranks and the remainder of the drivetrain in XT for a fat bike that will probably not see a whole lot of miles… 😳

Northwind

Bikes that cost more than about £300.

petrieboy

Being a grownup is knowing the origins of the towels in your house. Im an official adult with responsibilities and everything, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never bought a towel.

Or a sofa

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Stuff you never (thought you'd) see yourself paying money for?’ is closed to new replies.