Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • CRC and faulty Avid Elixir – any tips?
  • wl
    Free Member

Bought some Avid Elixir Rs from CRC a few months ago and put the front one on to see how it performed (it needed a bleed right out of the box – annoying, but not unheard of). Since then, I’ve had to bleed it about 4 times and I’ve only done about 10 rides. I’m planning to send it back, along with the unused rear (CRC allow up to 12 months for a refund on unused parts). Anyone had any experience with faulty brakes and trying to get a refund out of CRC? Seems to me (with hindsight and based on user feedback) that Avids are very hit & miss – you get good ones or crap ones.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Have you contacted them?

wl
    Free Member

Tried to ring today and got a message saying they’re not answering phones due to unforeseen circumstances. They might be totally cool and offer a replacement/refund, or I might have a battle on my hands. I just thought ‘forewarned is forearmed’ and it might help me to know roughly what to expect. I’ll ring again Monday and email if I get nowhere.

granny_ring

Are you sure about the up to 12months for refund for unused parts?
    I thought it was a month or something like that?

wl
    Free Member

99.9% certain that’s what it said on their website last time I looked. That’s for the unused rear, so long as it’s in original condition/packaging etc. If not, anyone want to buy an unused Elixir R rear? They’re brilliant – so reliable.

jonba
    Free Member

Email them. Despite what you might believe they are actually very helpful I had some Shimano SLX brakes that failed over a cold winter so got them replaced under warranty. About 2 weeks later the back ones failed. I wrote them a nice* email saying that I wasn’t happy and didn’t want brakes that were unsuitable for cold weather. I got my money back on both brakes and replaced them with elixirs. The elixirs have been ok.

*There are many ways to get what you want, one is to go in all guns blazing demanding this and that. The other is to be humble and polite which often gets a better response.

wl
    Free Member

Sounds promising, jonba. You’re right about different approaches – I’d never go in all guns blazing anyway, to be honest. Ta.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I had a set with a faulty hose. I emailed them and said there was a problem. They sorted it under warranty very quickly; and paid all the postage costs from/to Spain..

Avids are good brakes. CRC warranties the same.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘CRC and faulty Avid Elixir – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.