Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cranks keep coming loose…..
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Shimano Octalink, Ultegra BB and Ultegra Cranks. Removed from my road bike, fitted to a new frame, now they keep working loose and I’m not looking forward to the potential expense!

What have I done wrong and is the situation recoverable? Is the crank bolt working loose and would thread locking that help?

Cheers

cupra
    Free Member

Thread lock is well worth a go in my experience.

donsimon
    Free Member

Time for a new crank arm fixing bolt, if the kit is slightly old or worn, threadlock is only a temporary solution.
    Number 1 in the diagram.

cupra
    Free Member

He’s got Octalink though, not hollowtech? If you have a spare crank bolt use that, if not I have used the threadlock and it has lasted as long as the bottom bracket. It depends how much play there is in the system.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Cool cheers, not sure what bolts I’ve got lying around, but if I don’t have one I’ll find one on eBay etc and give that a whirl with some threadlock.

donsimon
    Free Member

The Octalink doesn’t have pinch bolts or end cap then? Live and learn.

paul4stones

Crank arm fixing bolt just pre-tensions the system doesn’t it?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Octalink has more in common with a splined square taper system than hollowtech 2.

cupra
    Free Member

Octalink has more in common with a splined square taper system than hollowtech 2

That was my point, thanks for explaing it better 😉

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

So what’s actually happening for the cranks to come loose? Is the bolt unscrewing itself?

cupra
    Free Member

It can be yes, just enough to allow play. Threadlock is a quick way to test the theory.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Cool, will clean the bike up and properly dismantle to see what’s what.

jfb01
    Free Member

When assembling the crank onto the bb axle use only a very small amount ( thin flim) of grease. If you use too much it will pack down in use & come loose.
    Cheers
    Jeef

schmiken

He’s got Octalink though, not hollowtech?

Hollowtech 2 is the external bearing system, Octalink was Hollowtech ‘1’.

The hollowtech refers to the fact that the crank arms are hollow, not the actual BB system. I.E. Deore Octalink was never Hollowtech, and I don’t think the Deore external bearing cranks are either.

OP – check the threads in the BB. There may be some swarf in there meaning the threads are slightly stripped, meaning you need a new BB. If not, try a new crank bolt, they cost £2.99 or less from your LBS.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Right, checked the crank bolt threads and the threads on the BB, these are fine. However the engagement points on the crank arms are gouged to bits over about the first 3mm of their length. I’ve reassembled with less grease and a lot of threadlock on the bolt. Will take it for a spin at some point, but I strongly suspect they are dead metal now!

Anyone got a spare drive side crank arm, compact triple and octalink?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cranks keep coming loose…..’ is closed to new replies.