Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cranks for fixed gear – Sugino v Stronglight
  • 2tyred

Fixed folks – I need new cranks for the commuter, which does 20-odd miles a day every day in all weathers along towpath and crappy roads.

Budget won't stretch to Miche, WhiteInd or DiaCompe but could stretch to the cheaper end of Stronglight or Sugino. Looking at the Sugino RD against Stronglight… somethingorothers and trying to decide.

The Suginos are 165mm and the Stronglights 170 – I'm currently running 172.5s, would I really notice that much of a difference moving to 165s?

All opinions very welcome, thank you!

cp

some people notice the differences in crank length, others don't. A difference like that I very much notice. if you've short legs the shorter cranks might actually be better for you!

Morgan
    Free Member

I had a Stronglight Track chainset on a bike last year – very disappointing. The threads for the self-extracting bolts were very soft and both stripped while removing the cranks. I wouldn't go near Stronglight again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pullfaces
    Free Member

Lance rides 175 cranks and he's about 5'8" or shorter so short cranks for shorter people might be a bit of a myth.
    If you're used to 172.5 I would recommend the 170 Stronglights. They're a good chainset anyway.
    But what bottom bracket are you using?
    Make sure it will all marry up. Ofmega had their own square taper measurement. Otherwise Japanese and European standards only varied by about 1.5mm for chain line.

Also make sure you get chainring to match your chain and sprocket.
    Or vice versa, that chain and sprocket match pitch of chainring.
    Remember track/pista chain width is different, 1/8" rather than standard 3/32".

bonj
    Free Member

i would steer clear of stronglight purely on principle as my planet x had stronglight cranks on and they got recalled. (Replaced with better ones, mind, at no charge, but just wouldn't trust stronglight.)

samuri
    Free Member

I had some Stronglights on my pompino, I had no problems with them. These were 165's and I think with SS/fixed you really do notice the difference in crank length, your gears can't get you out of a leverage problem. My pompino was geared high anyway and on hill starts it was noticably harder to get going although spinning along a flat road was much easier.

alpin
    Free Member

i've got a set of cranks i rescued from a bike i found in a bush. no idea what make they are.

in fact. i rescued the whole bike from a bush….

Haze

Sugino RD2's, not had a problem yet…

(only 2 years old though)

finbar
    Free Member

If it's the Stronglight ones on the On-one website then i have never seen a more special-needs looking crankset and i would steer well clear. IMO of course.

rob1984p
    Free Member

I've got a set of tiagra ones rescued from the scrap bin that i'll be polishing or anodising (black, none of that gay pink, purple, green look at me nonsense) for my next build. I would suggest Lance is the exception not the rule in crank length and have suffered terrible knee pain riding cranks that were too long in the past.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cranks for fixed gear – Sugino v Stronglight’ is closed to new replies.