Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crank removal allen key size?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Am i right that i need a 19mm allenkey to remove this? …how about the allen bolt/nut after ? Its a SRAM crankset. Cheers

daftvader
    Free Member

Dont forget the edges will likely be beveled. ?. Usually its an 8mm key afaik…. isnt the hole in the middle where the key fits and not the big one?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I think the big one kinda protect the inner one coming loose. .. Like the other sram crank i deal before… This one is the super size of that for some reason

To be honest i don’t know how to remove the inner nut/bolt yet till i remove this big one.

Drac

Here you go ignore his fancy tools though.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zku_zqTCdPQ[/video]

dantsw13

You don’t need to touch the large bolt, that just holds the self extracting bolt into the crank arm. I believe its an 8mm key for the inner one. Older ones were a 10mm IIRC.

When you do it up again, it needs to be REALLY tight.

petefromearth

You’re measuring it the wrong way. Go across the flats rather than corner to corner.

Bit hard to tell from your pic, but if you’ve got a smaller hex bolt inside, that’s the one you want to undo. It’s usually 8 or 10mm

Leave the larger one where it is, it’s so that the crank pulls itself off the axle when you unscrew it. Also they are sometimes LH threaded and alu, so easy to round off if you aren’t careful. just undo the inner one.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’ve never played with SRAM cranks, but Allen keys are measured across the flats. It looks like you’re measuring corner to corner.

Hth

Edit
    What they ^ said.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

@drac. Youre a star!

Cheers all. And thanks for pointing out how to measure allen nut.

Duh ! Felt so dumb now. Well, there are always something learn everyday 🙂

Thanks again chaps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crank removal allen key size?’ is closed to new replies.