Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Crank Bros Candy – too much float
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got an odd problem. One of my crank bros candy has a lot of float. The right pedal pops out pretty quickly, but the left one I seem to have to pretty much get about 30 degrees before it finally goes. Is this likely to be the pedal? They’re the race cleats not the premium ones.

onehundredthidiot

How old are the cleats? Is it down to cleat wear?

atlaz
    Free Member

Brand new cleats from a box of eggbeaters I never got around to using

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Can be cleats try swapping them around.
    Other point is springs stretch after time,they get slack you can usually feel it ,play in the spring when moved by hand.
    2 Pure did put it down to using normal shoes on them and forcing plates apart.
    I think they just stretch after time.
    How old are they?
    I sent a pair back under Warranty and the spring was replaced.
    Think the current ones have a 5 year warranty.
    Mite be worth a shot?
    Extra UK are the new distributor.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ll try them with my other clipless shoes and see if they improve. If not they may be for the bin as they came with a bike so could be hard to return

scotroutes

Swap them onto the other foot.

duir
    Free Member

If the Crank Brothers cleats are more than 24 hours old they are probably worn out and need replacing. 😀

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    That’s what I meant with cleats.
    Swap them to the other foot.
    Changes the release angle but mite improve the problem.

atlaz
    Free Member

Swap them onto the other foot.

That’d work if BOTH pedals had the same problem. They don’t

bigblackshed

If I remember correctly, You can rotate CB cleats 180deg. One “point” has a tighter release angle. They are not the same both sides.

I could be talking bobbins.

atlaz
    Free Member

They used to do that, but the newer ones supposedly it depends which cleat is on which foot. I’ll try the shoes I know have minimal float on my eggbeaters then if they’re fine, try flipping the left foot cleat.

bigblackshed

Yep, I was talking bobbins. You swap the cleats between feet for different release angle. As said above it could be the sole of the shoe opening the spring slightly.

Installation PDF

atlaz
    Free Member

I could be unusual but I wear a pair of shoes of the same type on both feet so I’d expect interference to be the same but it is the first ride with those particular shoes. I’ll check with the normal disco slippers tonight then get the knife out.

scotroutes

Just a thought…. you didn’t get all the cleats mixed up at some point so you’ve ended up with two “left”s on one pair of shoes and two “right”s on the other?

atlaz
    Free Member

Nah, I keep the cleats in the box until they’re needed as I tend to lose them otherwise. It’s also not a mistake in the box as one is dotted and the other isn’t.

atlaz
    Free Member

Seems to be down to the shoe. I cut a bit more of the sole away and it seems a little better. I’ll give it a ride tomorrow

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Candy – too much float’ is closed to new replies.