Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Crank arms in hand luggage on flight?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Flight from Edinburgh to Germany. Crank arms will be wrapped up, and are a gift for the person carrying them, so they won’t know what they are, and I would rather they didn’t have to open them at security.

Is this going to lead to problems?

Ta, Duane.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes .

Dont do it ……

Ps i wouldnt go trying to carry on something i didnt know what was in it – bad idea ……

akak
    Free Member

Yes – post it instead…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Twin clubs in a parcel they didn’t wrap themselves? My worry would be that they would not be allowed to board with them to be honest. Probably depend entirely on whoever is on the desk…

aracer
    Free Member

“Has anybody given you something to carry on this flight?”

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Bad idea. I’m flying next week and got an advisory email today, saying not to wrap presents, as security will ask you to unwrap them.

ivantate
    Free Member

More than likely wont be allowed through. Especially if there are chainrings attached!!

Anything the complete muppet on the xray machine thinks might be used as a weapon. I came very close to using a seat post as a weapon on one of these muppets who was hiding behind rules and managers. It does state that they can say yes but they never will.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Back in 2009 I actually flew with not just a pair of cranks in my handluggage, but also the chain guide, chain, pedals of and the chainset also had the chainring still attached. Would have made a great weapon.

the most amazing thing is that security in the end was persuaded that this was all OK and this was at Geneva! Basically the airport had already sent my one piece of check in luggage through and then declared that my bike bag was too heavy so I had no choice but to semi dismantle the bike and put the above bits in my hand luggage! Luckily my mate spoke perfect french and persuaded the security guys that this was all perfectly OK!

jedi

my mate carried on his full face as hand luggage

iain1775
    Free Member

Annoys me when you have to take off your belt, shoes etc to go through the X-ray machine but making someone take their complete face off and carry in a bag it is just taking the pi$$
    Is he ugly or something?

njee20
    Free Member

Helmet’s a bit different, people recognise them and there’s a greater understanding of them than cranks, which just look like they’re for hitting people!

bigyinn
    Free Member

jedi – Member

You he can take his face off?! 🙄

Scamper
    Free Member

Would be more of a problem if it was a pair of Bombers.

mrmo
    Free Member

took a boomerang on a quantas flight? then again got a lot of trouble on a charter after forgetting to remove some allen keys from hand lugage.

iDave
    Free Member

In the last three months I have taken the following in hand luggage (item 1, it was just the bell, devoid of attached cow) and I also normally have a bike helmet strapped to carry on shoulder strap.

buttercup
    Free Member

I have taken a saddle and pedals with some pretty gnarly pins in them to spain.. no problem.
    but not many people woudl think to use pedals as a weapon.. would they?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

i once flow from new-quay air port with a letherman, was in my camel back, lady didnt even take it out when searching my bag, but took my puncher repair kit stuff coz i could set it on fire..**** mad.

mieszko
    Free Member

The only problem I can see is that it will be wrapped. I went through the security ok with a slx chainset and on another occasion a full set of chainrings. They were wrapped in bubble wrap. Only thing I had a problem with was my multitool. Forgot to take it out of my pack but when they checked it had no knives etc. I was allowed to take it with me on board.

However it was flying from Edinburgh to Warsaw through London and Glasgow to Lodz.

German security might be a PITA. My mum was only 2-3 minutes late for her flight to Australia (she got lost on the motorway). She managed to get to the airport, they still took her luggage at the check in desk, but then the security staff said it was too late to get on the plane even though the boarding has just started!

metalheart
    Free Member

I had a HMS biner taken off me at CdG coz it ‘could’ve’ been used as a knuckle duster… 🙄

But the smaller screwgate was fine as you couldn’t get your hand in it… 😯

Mind you the security guy was a complete w@nker and his co-worker had to tell to stop being such a shit.

aracer
    Free Member

I once had zip ties taken off me because they could be used to tie up the cabin crew. Strangely they were OK with all the straps and cord I had on my rucksack.

one_bad_mofo

Back in 2006 I brought a pair of Rock Shox Judy XCs back as hand luggage from Washington DC! I had to demonstrate what they were at customs by bouncing then up and down.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Crank arms in hand luggage on flight?’ is closed to new replies.