Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Crampon use on fabric/suade walking boots? Recommend some?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I am wondering how sucessful crampons are on lighterweight walking boots? I get the impression category C1 crapons are my best bet, if they work at all. They would be for lightweight general walking, not heavy duty hill stuff.

Experiences / recommendations please, or ones to avoid!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member
    Brown
    Free Member

In theory, don't do it. The boot is likely to be too flexible, meaning less security as it flexes more than the crampon and possibly moves inside it. You can fiddle about with a C1 crampon to help with this a bit, but – no offence – if you need to ask about this, you probably shouldn't do it.

The other problem is that the upper is probably too soft. The straps are likely to dig in to your foot which is a) uncomfortable and b)possibly leading to cold feet. As you may well need to do the straps up bastard-tight to hold the crampon on to the flexy boot, you'll exaggerate this even more.

Basically, you could bodge them on for short distances on easy terrain, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you were particularly experienced, in which case you probably wouldn't need to ask (again, sorry, not trying to offend!).

Try something like the spikes mentioned above, or a grivel Magic Spiker instead.

deft
    Free Member

The Microspikes are great, positively skipped across sheet ice today wearing mine. Probably much safer than C1s on not-quite B1 boots too as there's no risk of them coming off and no temptation to try front pointing

Midnighthour
    Free Member

"I wouldn't recommend it unless you were particularly experienced, in which case you probably wouldn't need to ask (again, sorry, not trying to offend!)."

Not offended 🙂 Everyone starts somewhere though when beginning with things, we are not born with deep experience of anything. I am aiming to not fall over on local walks given the world has got iced over, def not heading out for an epic mountain (or even hill) march at this point in time 🙂

sangobegger
    Free Member

Bought me a pair of Brasher fabric boots in the Tiso sale (£75),and I reckon they are better than my Scarpa mantas in terms of stiffness.Havn't tried on the crampons yet,but for security on all but the most dodgy ground they will be fine with basic 12 pointers.If you are going out in serious terrain though,get decent gear – would you really want to be stuck up a mountain somewhere because you saved £50 on boots.Up to you!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions.

Shackleton

Microspikes are great for light or occasional use on firm snow and ice but aren't so great in softer snow. Be careful of them on rock though, they wear fast. In-step crampons could be a good option for snowier conditions if your uppers are stiff enough.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

There are a few sets that are designed for what you are talking about. Have a look at the Kahootla KTS Steel 10 point Flexi Crampon for example.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Stubai used to do a 10point walking crampon for lighter weight boots, like Brashers. We used to see hundreds of them for the occasion walker who wanted a bit more security on the mountains during the winter months. They weren't designed for front pointing, but worked really well.
    Don't know how light weight your fabric boots are though. Not sure they make em anymore, but plenty on flea bay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stubai-ATC-All-Terrain-Crampons-10-point_W0QQitemZ180452280368QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Climbing_Mountaineering?hash=item2a03cb4830

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Crampon use on fabric/suade walking boots? Recommend some?’ is closed to new replies.