Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cramping up during a ride.
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Road ride today in the lakes, did Newlands and Whinlatter total of 45miles. Anyway on the climb up Whinlatter suffered really bad cramps in my calves. I thought I was hydrated enough and it was really cold today.
    Thought I would read up on cramping but can’t seem to find a definitive answer. So ever suffered? How did you prevent them happening again.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Bananas.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

No just nuts. 😀

trademark
    Free Member

Never really suffered from cramping whilst cycling, but several people have told me that a small amount of electrolyte powder in their water works for them.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

The only time I’ve had bad leg cramp recently was a few weeks before Christmas when I went around Dalby in very cold sub zero conditions, whether or not that was the cause I’m not sure, but it’s what I’m blaming.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Misread title.

Expected more

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

:lol:. 😆

jonba
    Free Member

Trained more and got fitter. Still occasionally cramp in road races when my enthusiasm outweighs my ability. But no one wants to hear that so just try electrolyte tablets.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get fitter, or potentially could have been cold legs.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ha, yup working on the fitness is a priority (hence the road ride) 😕

dmck16
    Free Member

Try eating a pack of ready salted crisps beforehand – works a treat for me!

(something to do with the salt, apparently…)

antigee

Had cramps when not really pushing out of depth – hard and long but not unusually so
    Lots of advice out there but nothing that stands head and shoulders
    My contribution is eat lots, move about a bit in saddle – stand for some hills even if don’t need to, take electrolyte drink and the secret weapon: pickling vinegar also available as a sports drink
    Might be a placebo effect but works for me and if you google it seems popular with elite arhletes

Edit CyclingTipsArticle

iainc

For me it has nothing to do with food or hydration, purely fitness. I often cramp when a bit unfit, fat, not riding enough. Never when riding regularly and at the right weight.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I put electrolyte powder in my drinks bottle, works for me. I’m sure most any brand will work but if you’re after recommendations the I use this one

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I suffer from cramp, mostly quads but I have had both legs cramping in quads and hamstrings simultaneously in both legs. Unbelievably painful.

I’m certain it’s fitness, but I’ve found that eating a sachet of ketchup when it happens eases it off quickly.

jonnyboi

Fitness, As above. I do endurance races and can be sure to get cramps if I push too hard too soon.

jonba
    Free Member

Reading my comment it does sound harsh 😉

cycling tips does have a lot of good stuff. As above and a couple of others

https://cyclingtips.com/tag/cramping/

I do agree with antigees comments on moving about. Stretching out, changing position can help over long rides. If you are hungry or dehydrated it will make things worse (same way you would find it tougher riding really).

If you consistently get cramp in one muscle group you could do some research on muscle groups. You position can activate some muscles more that others or stress them.

But ultimately if you are pushing yourself hard and you cramp it is a fitness thing. Happens to the pros too when they go for heroic attacks. Jens Voigt made a whole marketing image around it!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have suffered with cramps and after a VO2max test I spoke with trainer about it and he told me with my fitness level at the time it shouldn’t be a problem. I noticed the cramps were worse on hot days and me being somebody who sweats loads he suggested putting some salt in my drink which I suppose is what the electrolyte suppliments do as well. Others swear by magnesium tablets.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Used to get it often. I started using SIS go Energy for long rides and it went away. Probably a combination of being a bit fitter and more hydrated. I used to cramp up later on in the ride on the final stretch home when I’m tired with not much in the tank.

shermer75
    Free Member

it was really cold today.

I would start with that. You can get really good leg or knee warmers that you can take off mid ride if you feel too warm. I use them to prevent those nasty tendon-y type injuries you get when it’s cold and you’ve failed to warm up properly 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses guys, Jonba, not harsh at all 🙂
    I will try some electrolyte in my bottle. I tend to sweat a fair bit too so possibly I am losing some salts through that.
    Just read the article above, the pickle juice theory is really interesting.

wheely
    Free Member

Strangely I had cramps today – but only when I put my foot down (once as someone was in my way) and once to get through a narrow gate. I always have banana before I ride and always have electrolytes in my drink. It was the extended leg that cramped as I was about to ride off. Luckily went as soon as I pulled away.

teamslug
    Free Member

I suffered on long rides. High5 tablets seem to help a lot but I’m fitter now so I think that’s a lot to do with it. Tonic water is supposed to help but its bloody awful without gin.

butcher

Doesn’t seem to be any definitive answer to this or what exactly causes it, but the consensus is that it’s a lack of conditioning in the muscles. And a good ride in the Lakes is likely to unearth any holes in your conditioning 🙂

ade9933
    Free Member

Lots of reasons you can get cramps and a ton of different cures ranging from prune juice to tonic water.

The one that works the best for me is Hammer Endurolytes.

Good luck finding yours!

shermer75
    Free Member

You can get cramps from it being cold.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cramping up during a ride.’ is closed to new replies.