Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Craft Beer and Cycling
  • feenster
    Free Member

So it seems that craft beer and cycling are both now achingly fashionable. I’ve been into both for ages, and used to go on about how the world needed to wake up to both of these things. Now everyone has an opinion on the TDF and a favourite American micro brewery. I even heard a couple male and female students on the train the other day discussing their favourite hop! I preferred it when it was just a few folk into these things. I wasn’t drawn to them because they were niche, but I liked the fact that they were. It meant you could tell people stuff they didn’t already know, and when you did meet someone who was also into them, it was like ‘You too? Cool. There’s not many of us, eh.’.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve been brewing my own ale for years and biking too. I’m so hip it’s untrue 😉

feenster
    Free Member

You too? Cool. **** thousands of us now eh?

ton

i have always been a pi55head and a cyclist……. 😆

grum
    Free Member

It’s good that you can be honest about your nicheista tendencies, unlike many on here. 🙂

Personally, I invented both cycling and brewing beer so you’re all following my lead.

djglover
    Free Member

So last decade dude, we are all knitting and drinking wine now

ton

i tend to find that most of the young hipsters are good for 3 or 4 pints……they then fall by the wayside.

feenster
    Free Member

i tend to find that most of the young hipsters are good for 3 or 4 pints……they then fall by the wayside.

Are you saying ‘hang in there, things go in cycles, it’ll be unfashionable again soon’.?

sunnrider
    Free Member

Any more than 4 pints of craft beer and I forget how to bike….walk, talk, function.

I do like the strong ones though.

feenster
    Free Member

The hipster craft beer pubs in Edinburgh are now doing 1/3 and 2/3 pints. Which is great, means the higher abv beers are still doable at the pub.

ton

being a pi55head will never be fashionable…it just happens… 8)

plodtv
    Free Member

You are complaining that you used to wish people would wake up to things, and now that they have it is not an exclusive club?

TooTall
    Free Member

I wasn’t drawn to them because they were niche, but I liked the fact that they were. It meant you could tell people stuff they didn’t already know

Best you find a new niche to bore educate the masses about then.

feenster
    Free Member

we are all knitting and drinking wine now

Hmm neither of those appeal. Any other niche’s going around at the moment? Feeling the need to get into something else that most of the folk around me have never heard of.

grum
    Free Member

Any other niche’s going around at the moment? Feeling the need to get into something else that most of the folk around me have never headr of.

Do you have a fatbike or a ’69er’? Or at the very least some oddly-shaped handlebars?

lilchris
    Free Member

ton

But will they have a headache the following morning to hinder their supple joints….? 🙂

ton

headache?
    we are talking good fine natural ale…….not that larger pish!!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The hipster craft beer pubs in Edinburgh are now doing 1/3 and 2/3 pints. Which is great, means the higher abv beers are still doable at the pub.

Noticed that when I was last in the Edinburgh. Went and had a couple in the Hanging Bat. Nice place and the 2/3 pint is a quite a nice size of measure. Especially when beer is higher than average abv.

BoardinBob

I love it in the US when you go into a bar and they’ve got 40 odd microbrewery beers on draft. Stuff that actually tastes of something. Compare that to UK pubs with the same 5 pisspoor tasteless lagers (not all are bad, just the big stuff)

rewski
    Free Member

zilog6128

Speaking of craft beers and bicycles, I have just picked up these beauties from the new local micropub and will be ferrying them home in my panniers in an hour or so!

beer by Zilog_6128, on Flickr

tazzymtb

Do you have a fatbike or a ’69er’?

I 69d a fat bike and didn’t enjoy it really. The ride was decidedly wallowy and when going hard, slipped into a muddy gully and ended up with a face full. now I know why Crud catchers are used.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s very nearly time to head off to Cask. No bike involved, not far enough away to warrant it!

🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Mmmm, might breeze by Utobeer and get some bottles of Rogue.

BTW: Chinook is my favourite hop, followed by cascade.

edlong
    Free Member

So it seems that craft beer and cycling are both now achingly fashionable. I’ve been into both for ages

Well, aren’t you just great?

rewski
    Free Member

So fess up OP, how long have you been into Craft Beer and Cycling then?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Oooo I do like a bit of Gadds, No 5 and No 7!

chakaping
    Free Member

Did real ale just get rebranded as “craft beer” to remove the images of beards and wooly jumpers, or does the term refer to something more specific? Is it “indie beer”?

Also, mountain biking is not fashionable at all, sell your road bike and just do that.

zilog6128

Did real ale just get rebranded as “craft beer” to remove the images of beards and wooly jumpers, or does the term refer to something more specific? Is it “indie beer”?

To me it’s indie beer, brewed by small local operations and generally only available locally (except at beer fests of course!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chaka, it was originally a bit of guff from the US, but now primarily it’s the difference between real ale (Live, barrel aged) and craft (kegged)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21541887

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Craft beer ? You will be wild swimming next

rewski
    Free Member

Nope, Craft Ale was coined by the US back in the late 60s. It’s usually fizzy and high in bitter hops.

Edit: what the Capt said.

zilog6128

I see! EDASD.

grum
    Free Member

Compare that to UK Scottish pubs with the same 5 2 pisspoor tasteless lagers (not all are bad, just the big stuff)

FTFY 😉

eskay

Cannot be good for global warming though. …….

chambord
    Free Member

Cannot be good for global warming though. …….

Above average levels of methane are produced the day after so you’re probably right

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

my beer miles are very low ,

I am about to walk to my local brewery in ,Castle Douglas ,in Scotland which offers a range of beer made in house and
    only one Larger beer which is not not piss poor

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I am about to walk to my local brewery in ,Castle Douglas ,in Scotland which offers a range of beer made in house and
    only one Larger beer which is not not piss poor

Do like a bit of the Galloway Gold. Any time I’m home I try and pick up a crate.

StirlingCrispin

We’ve been finishing our rides in the local brewery for years.
    Why wouldn’t you?
    http://www.bridgeofallan.co.uk/pages/tinpot.php

mamadirt
    Free Member

Canadian Red Racer IPA is coming to a Wetherspoon’s near you real soon courtesy of their April Real Ale fest – lovely, lovely stuff 😛 – let’s just hope it hasn’t been ruined for the UK market.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Craft Beer and Cycling’ is closed to new replies.