Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Bands who used to be good…..
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And still are!

I’ll start with Rush, and ZZ Top. OK, so both went through their dreadful 80s synth phase, but they’ve still got it!

sputnik
    Free Member

Joe Satriani
    The Cult
    And totally agree with Rush still being right up there.

igm

Was going to suggest U2 and Red Hot Chilli Peppers until you said “and still are”.

Edit: I see I’ve cross-threaded.

mikey74
    Free Member

Iron Maiden.

senorj

My Bloody Valentine

supertacky
    Free Member

Saw the Cult last year.

The still Rock!

john_drummer
    Free Member

New Model Army

banks
    Free Member

Death in Vegas
    Nick Cave
    Bombay bicycle club

igm

AC/DC

NonStopNun
    Free Member

The Stranglers.

johndoh
    Free Member

Iron Maiden? Nah. (And I am a big fan).

A massive slump since Somewhere in Time (and pushing it at that album) – only Final Frontier sees them anything like back to standard.

mikey74
    Free Member

A massive slump since Somewhere in Time (and pushing it at that album) – only Final Frontier sees them anything like back to standard.

Seventh Son…, Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, and Final Frontier all say otherwise.

Plus, their live shows have never been in doubt.

Bunnyhop

Take That 😆

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Pearl Jam

Pigface
    Free Member

D-A-D

Hoodoo Gurus

The Damned

johndoh
    Free Member

Mikey – I really don’t agree and neither do album sales.

And I *am* a fan – seen them about 10 times over the years (Beast on the Road tour was first, saw them last year). I just don’t think any of the later albums are that good. Saying that, Fear of the Dark is one of my fave tracks by them…

MrsToast
    Free Member

Testament.

Machine Head – started awesome, went kind of crappy, then managed to pull it back to being awesome again. Unlike Metallica. -_-

CaptainSlow

This

mikey74 – Member
    Seventh Son…, Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, and Final Frontier all say otherwise.

Plus, their live shows have never been in doubt.

Not this

johndoh – Member

And I *am* a fan – seen them about 10 times over the years (Beast on the Road tour was first, saw them last year). I just don’t think any of the later albums are that good. Saying that, Fear of the Dark is one of my fave tracks by them…

There are still those that think anything post dianno isn’t worth listening to….

I’ll take each album and tour on it’s own individual merits. I think they’ve still most definitely have it.

Now if this debate was about Metallica or Megadeth, as much as i like em, they’re in need of some interesting material.

YM obviously MV 😉

landcruiser
    Free Member

Duran Duran surprised me with their most recent release so get a vote from me ! Saxon doing some good stuff… again. 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

Killing Joke

Got most of their stuff through from the first album to “Absolute Dissent” (personal favourite). Each album stands alone and brings something different to the table. Genius.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The Cure.

tazzymtb

The Cure.

hmmmm as much I love them to bits, have seen them many, many times live and have everything from the meethook demo onwards, after disintegration they just sort of became a cure by numbers,,bloodflowers was really bad!

TheSanityAssassin

Stiff Little Fingers

Half Man Half Biscuit

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

There are still those that think anything post dianno isn’t worth listening to….

<puts hand up>

johndoh
    Free Member

Gotta say that Iron Maiden and Killers were far and away the best albums, but the best singles were definitely from NOTB, Powerslave etc.

Markie
    Free Member

Cowboy Junkies

sputnik
    Free Member

Another good shout Markie, was thinking Cowboy Junkies as well.

alex222
    Free Member

Beastie Boys

binners

Spiritualized

DezB
    Free Member

Stiff Little Fingers
    Duran Duran

Please don’t make me read this thread anymore.. it’s silly.

I only have one thing to contribute – Underworld.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hilarious input from many and some choices.
    Bands that were mleh that I still like is a more accurate thread description

vinnyeh

More of a one man band, Steve Earle knocking out great music since the 80’s.

Rolling Stones, judging by ticket sales.

grum
    Free Member

Have to say the latest ZZ Top single I heard was pretty good. 😳

I also quite liked the Public Enemy single that I think was the theme for the Paralympics.

binners

The Beatles have recorded more recent ‘good’ music than the Stones. Its close on 40 years since they did anything remotely acceptable.

But at least the Beatles had the good grace to knock it on the head, then go and get shot/become a tedious, lecturing, weird-haired bore*

* delete as applicable, depending which one of them you prefer

vinnyeh

The Beatles have recorded more recent ‘good’ music than the Stones. Its close on 40 years since they did anything remotely acceptable.

Think it might be well more than 40 years since the Beatles recorded anything, good or bad.

I guess I should have put a winky in my post.

binners

Sorry vinny, my sarcasm filter was off 😀

I find the idea of people paying the exorbitant ticket prices the Stones charge, to watch a bunch of pensioners who haven’t done anything decent for 40 years, absolutely incomprehensible

mikey74
    Free Member

Rubbish. The only ones that really fell away were the ones they recorded while Bruce wasn’t in the band (not surprising, really). In the US “Fear of the Dark” is their highest selling studio album ever, which really destroys your “after Somewhere in Time” theory.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m hoping that

808 State, The Farm and The Happy Mondays will be, as I’m seeing them this May, but I doubt it. 😐

Still, tickets were cheap and it’s in Brizzle so I don’t really care.

johndoh
    Free Member

Rubbish. The only ones that really fell away were the ones they recorded while Bruce wasn’t in the band (not surprising, really). In the US “Fear of the Dark” is their highest selling studio album ever, which really destroys your “after Somewhere in Time” theory.

So Fear of the Dark’s 3m worldwide sales matches NOTBs 6.5m worldwide sales? I won’t even mention album sales post Fear of the Dark…

And as for my theory… Somewhere in Time sold 4.5m worldwide, Seventh Son only managed to sell 3.5m and all the subsequent albums (up to Final Frontier which I have already said is back to something like their best) fared as badly or much worse.

Don’t know why you are upset about this – I am a fan but facts are facts.

mikey74
    Free Member

Who said I was upset? Where are your figures coming from? None of the ones I’ve found reflect that.

Anyway, since when has album sales been a reflection of quality?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Bands who used to be good…..’ is closed to new replies.