Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Crack?
  • localhero94
    Free Member

Just found this when doing some maintenance on my Yeti asr-5. Can’t tell if it’s a crack or not – what do people think? I’d been noticing a creak for a few weeks but thought it was the BB. It’s on the driveside chainstay near the main pivot/bb.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Looks very very much like a crack to me 🙁

cubemeup
    Free Member

i would say that couls easily turn into a crack

Junkyard
    Free Member

crack I reckon

RealMan
    Free Member

Crack.

Unlucky.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

That’s as cracked as a cracked thing.

bigsi
    Free Member

FUBAR’ed

Bad luck 🙁

localhero94
    Free Member

What a PITA. It’s my bike for the 24/12 in 3 weeks :-(. Also means a 2hr trip to Bromley Bikes to get them to have a look. These things happen I guess. Anyone know what kind of timescale Yeti warranty stuff takes? (if it turns out I need a new rear triangle)

psychle
    Free Member

That’s a carbon rear end isnt it? Looks like a crack to me, but could probably be repaired easily enough I’d guess… one of the advantages of carbon, give these guys a call – Carbon Cycle Repairs, I reckon they’ll be able to sort it out for you…

Anyone know… …Yeti warranty

Doubt it’d be a warranty issue, looks like a rock strike to me? They’d probably do a decent price under their ‘crash replacement’ scheme though…

bigsi
    Free Member

Just an idea but if time is an issue could you not buy a new rear triangle when you drop the old one off and then if they decide it is a warranty replacement issue have them refund you the cost of the rear end you bought?

Might be worth having the conversation with Bromley Bikes to see if they will play ball 😕

robdeanhove
    Free Member

That looks like it definitely needs replacing.

Not a fatigue crack by the looks of it. I’d say that it looks like impact damage from a “foreign object” crashing into it or, perhaps, a chain? If so, this is not warranty from a fatigue crack and “normal wear and tear” but more something that one would expect to be covered under a cut price crash replacement policy.

The bonus is that, unlike warranty, where a bike company might, reasonably, expect to have the part back to inspect to determine whether it’s fatigue or abuse, a crash replacement policy is normally no-quibble i.e. they don’t distinguish between a foreign object impacting the frame through no fault of the rider, or you hitting it with a hammer or through just abusing it some how (like with a hammer!).

Hope you get a replacement in time for TwentyFour12

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

localhero94
    Free Member

Cheers everybody. I’m expecting the worst but that’s biking I guess. I’ve sent Bromley an email with a picture and will wait to see what they say.

spooky_b329

I’d be interested to see if it extends under the metal guard, could have started underneath.

I have an 08 Yeti with the carbon swingarm, tempted to look for an alloy replacement if it makes the bike a bit stiffer and increases tyre clearance.

localhero94
    Free Member

Great service from Bromley Bike Co. – sent the rear triangle to them to have a look at on Monday and received a new one in the post today.

RealMan
    Free Member

Brilliant, good for you. Good luck in the 24/12 😀

wwaswas

for gratis?

takisawa2

Top service.
    Bromley bikes duly noted.

simonm
    Free Member

isnt this the 4th forum you have posted this on ? Do you work for a competitor to Yeti ?

localhero94
    Free Member

Yes – no charge

localhero94
    Free Member

4th forum? No, I’ve posted on bikemagic and here.

Leku
    Free Member

+1 for Yeti warranty.

Very good and one of the reasons I’ve just ordered a Yeti 5 alloy to replace the ASR-sl.

Bregante

localhero94 – Member
    Great service from Bromley Bike Co. – sent the rear triangle to them to have a look at on Monday and received a new one in the post today.

POSTED 34 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

What superb service. Hats off.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Great service from Bromley Bike Co. – sent the rear triangle to them to have a look at on Monday and received a new one in the post today

Awesome!!

All is well in the world : )

Well, almost….

soulwood
    Free Member

Firstly I repeat what everybody else says on here, bad luck, great warranty service by Bromley Bikes etc. But will you know if it was a crack through warranty or a rock strike? It seems amazing to me that we are being sold products advertised as “all mountain” that after a whack with a rock (which are numerous on mountains are they not?)they are FUBARED? Is it just me that thinks this is odd?

Trekster

Doubt it is bad luck imo.
    Know someone else who had a rear triangle fail and sure there has been other threads re Yeti rear triangle failure.
    Why would the shop(any shop)keep a rear triangle if it was not known to be a weak point and supply foc ❓

simonm
    Free Member

4th forum? No, I’ve posted on bikemagic and here.

sorry, 3rd, Yetifan aswell.

Nobby

Why would the shop(any shop)keep a rear triangle if it was not known to be a weak point and supply foc

Possibly because their other company is the UK importer/distributor for Yeti?

Why are some folk so cynical when it comes to great customer service – is it really that rare these days?

localhero94
    Free Member

Simonm – what exactly is your problem? I have not posted this on yeti fan. Even if I did it would be f-all to do with you. This wasn’t an anti-yeti thread, it was me trying to get opinions as to whether the damage was a crack or not. Turns out it was, I got great service and will now continue to enjoy my bike. I’ve had some good opinions and advice on this thread which have been very much appreciated. Then there is yours.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Well said localhero 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

simonm seems to be a bit obsessed….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

not sure how this comes out as an anti-yeti thread, the crack looks like it may have been damage rather than manufacturer defect and the OP gets exemplary service from their shop (who may also be the importer). Having passed up on one of their stupid cheap ASR7’s for an Alpine 160 I can only hope Orange as are as good as Yeti (and recent threads suggest not).

What’s even weirder is the critical post appears after the OP has posted about a positive outcome.

I’ve googled “Rules of the Internet” and cant find anything about not posting on more than one forum. I also googled “google” and broke the internet, though…. 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

I think this shows yeti and bromley bikes in great light, I often multiple post so as to elicit the fastest response.

I’ve googled “Rules of the Internet” and cant find anything about not posting on more than one forum. I also googled “google” and broke the internet, though….

MC +1

steve_b77
    Free Member

Excellent service, I hope Raleigh turn round my road bike nearly as quick after the shop sent it back on Monday due to a crack right round the BB shell where the carbon stays are bonded in – almighty creaking under power made me look for it 😯

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Crack?’ is closed to new replies.