Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Covering letter via email?
  • organic355
    Free Member

If a job application says send CV and covering letter, but only offers an email address to send application to,

do you:

A) Write covering letter in body of email
    B) Write covering letter as a letter and attach as a pdf/word document

?

wombat

Option B

CV is one document

Covering letter is another.

You could send a PDF of the covering letter and the CV as one file if you like but do not just use the Email as your covering letter as that would look rubbish IMO

titusrider
    Free Member

ive always done two word documents, you dont know what their email program will do with your formatting if u include it in the mail

geetee1972
    Free Member

I would do it on the email as it's easier for the receipient, but you could also attach a copy as a word document.

Another piece of advice is to also find the relevant person and call them before you send the application. Look to have a conversation about what they're looking for, what's important for them etc, think of some good questions to put to them so that it shows you've spent some time thinking about the role. When you've got some further details back from them, then you can position yourself and your applcation. That will then mean that your application stands out when it comes through.

Depending on your industry/role, that might seem obvious to do or it may feel very odd, but I promise you that if it's done well it will always work well for you.

whytetrash

B for me too…

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Yep, you must at the very least send a copy of both CV and covering letter as attachments. That way they can save them to their filing system easily.

They may well not use email to keep things tidy, in which case your email covering letter would be lost in the mire!

As an aside, keep your email to plain text, no fancy things in there. Nothing worse than it not looking right when they recieve it.

jonb
    Free Member

C) covering letter as the email but also attach a copy in a rich text format. C.V. attached too.

BigJohn

geetee is giving good advice.

Your covering letter should be short and make specific references to your skills and successes in regard to points they have made in the advert.

Start your email in the normal way, (I always start with Hello, gender neutral and not too informal, and gets me noticed), then do the covering letter text. Also attach the covering letter text (formatted nicely, headed "Covering Letter – Joe Bloggs, Job Ref 123ABC – Bog Cleaner") as a document along with your CV.

If you get the interview, this thread has a ling to a good speaker 😯

busydog
    Free Member

++B and agree with BigJohn—make it short, to the point specifically about requirements for the position.
    I am in the headhunting business and have to coach people endlessly on their cover letters. Most are way too long and rambling.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Covering letter via email?’ is closed to new replies.