Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Running. Sort of on topic
  • mtb_rossi
    Free Member

I've decided to go out and do some running to lose a bit of weight. Over the last year I have dropped a stone and a half (now 14stone 6lbs) and would like to lose some more.

I ride without fail every wednesday night and sunday morning along with 6 a side football on thursdays. Now i'm thinking I'd like to fill an evening inbetween with some running.

My question is, do any of you out there run regularly? If so what trainers would you recommend. I am flat footed so I tend to slap the ground quite hard resulting in pain in my thights and calves. Knees are fine though.

Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh lordy…..

RealMan
    Free Member

Running can lead to injuries very easily. If you're just after losing weight, try road riding, if you're not already.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Thats expensive.

njee20
    Free Member

Go to a proper running shop and get decent gait analysis to determine what trainers would suit you best, do not take the advice of folk on here!

failedengineer

We had a similar thread last week – there's no need to spend a fortune on shoes, IMHO. Try one of the 'less trendy' brands – Saucony (my fave), asics, Brooks etc. If you are anywhere near Bradford, Sportshoes Unlimited have some good discounts. They do mail order, but you might be better trying them on first. A proper running shop will give you good advice.

markfu
    Free Member

I run between 3-5 times a week. I don't cover huge distances, normally between about 5-7 miles each time. I currently wear Salomon XT Wings for all of my running. In the Winter i wear Asics Trail Sensor 2's. I try and do as much of my running off road as possible, as road running bores me to tears. Both of these shoes are fine for me, but it is definitely an individual thing. I'd go to a proper running shop and get sized up personally if i were you.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

When you say 'proper running shop' any particular shops come to mind? I'm in the Hereford/Worcester region.

thanks

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I do some X-country, easier on your feet and knees and marginally less tedious than pavement plodding. You can also sometimes spy out potential mtb routes. go to a proper running shop to get advice and fitted, especially as you have deformed feet 😉 .

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

rossi – I run 2-3 times a week, 4-6 miles a go, almost all off road and often compete in 10k trail races.

I have:

For road: Asics Kayanos
    For light off road: Asics Trail sensor 2 – but the front end grip is awful and they are heavy so now replaced with:
    Inov8 Roclite 295s
    For muddy off road: Inov8 Mudclaws.

I'm also slightly flat footed so wear inserts in all but the Kayanos which are made for pronators/flat footed runners.

markfu
    Free Member

I live in Germany so i wouldn't know sorry. I used to go into Ron Flowers in Wolverhampton (I don't even know if it still exists) when i first started running and they were quite knowledgeable. I would have thought that there would be some somewhere near to where you are that offers gait analysis,etc.

soobalias
    Free Member

start slow, a lot slower than you think

slow pace, short distance
    rest more than you think between runs
    build up really slowly.

mactheknife

The shite that gets spouted on here can be very unhelpful 😯

Running certainly does'nt lead to more injuries. I have been running since i was 13 and i have never had a running related injury but i broke a collarbone biking. 😯

My best bet mate is to go along to the best shop you can find and get your gait measured. The shop then should advise you on suitable trainers.

Dont go to JJB or any other sports outlet but if you have access to a dedicated running shop then that is probably your best bet.

Myself i over pronate but i stick with adidas trainers as these seem to fit my slim feet a lot better. I have never had a problem luckily.

And the above advice is spot on. Start slow, build up slowly and you will be fine.

And as opinions are devided on the benefits of stretching i will tell you what works for me.

I never ever stretch before a run but start slowly and build into my comfortable pace.

Afterwards i stretch each muscle group for between 30 – 40 seconds. Especially my hamstrings and quads because these seem to suffer most from tightness. Then i generally stretch later on in the day if im feeling tight as well. But as i said thats only what works for me.

shedfull
    Free Member

mtb_rossi: look for companies like Sweatshop in your area. A proper running shop will usually have a treadmill and video system so that they can do gait analysis. They will also stock a wide range of shoes. Go along with no fixed budget (if possible) and no limit on time and test as many pairs as it takes to find the ones that work. If it costs 100 quid to buy the ones that fit best, do it – the cost of a cheaper but worse pair may be greater in the long run as you'll be back to replace them before they're worn out.

And ignore the "don't run because it injures you" comments. They're made by people who have chosen not to run and are justifying their own decision by turning it into advice for others. Running is an extremely rewarding form of exercise that is very easy to do.

Enjoy!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Try up and running in Cheltenham, they do all that gait (funny if you know me) analysis stuff. They have innov8, saucony etc. Keep it steady, don't just plod, concentrate on your form and you'll be fine. Enjoy

nickc

assuming you've not run before, or haven't run in along time. If you're worried about gait or flat footedness, then get some proper advice, personally, I've never felt the need, but I know I'm lucky in that I'm a "pull on trainers go run" sort of runner, and not every-ones like that.

Once you're sorted for foot wear; actual running? Find a flattish (maybe a small hill) course of about 5km long, and run it, slowly, and if you need to stop and walk then do so, but aim to run it all. Do this 2-3 times a week, for about 4-6 weeks, you'll be screamingly bored by the end of the 6 weeks, but what you're trying to achieve here is getting your body used to running. Don't time yourself, in fact don't even wear a watch, now is not the time to be setting PB's you've your whole running career ahead of you to do that. Just get used to running.

Once your comfy running the route, then you've a couple of choices, aim for a speed increase or a bit of distance, or preferably go for a mix of both, again start increasing it slowly, and steadily.

If you get an injury, anywhere on yourself. STOP RUNNING, and walk home, ice any inflammation, and rest for a couple of days before trying to run again. If you're still in pain, leave it a bit longer, still in pain after that? go see a doctor.

I wouldn't go off road straight away, you need to develop a bit of strength and flexibility first, but running through a dappled forest with the birds singing, and peace and quiet all around, is one of the greatest joys of running IMO.

HTH

ahwiles
    Free Member

start slow, run somewhere nice, it's ok to stop for a rest, stretch a bit afterwards.

linky

chutney13
    Free Member

i really like asics, they fit my feet. you'll probably find one make suits you better than others, eg saucony has a larger toe bed, innov-8 has a lower heel etc.

Bedds
    Free Member

As everyone else said, go to a decent shop. I went to Run and Becomein Cardiff (I live in the Forest of Dean). They were excellent and really helped me, I'd previously bought a pair from a 'sports shop' and they were shite, basically pushing me towards the most expensive pair on the shelf. A good shop will sell you something that works for you, regardless of price.

all other advice is spot on IMHO 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

Inov8s i found to be extremely tight on my feet – i ordered online w/o trying – such are the perils of online shopping.

as others have said, go with what works for you in terms of finding a running routine. i don't stretch before a run (but i warm-up slowly) and not immediately after. instead i do a little stretching often and away from exercise sessions.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I guess im more used to sprint/interval work outs with football, so I guess its a case of slowing it down and plodding on for longevitys sake.

I will take a look at that shop in cheltenham, thanks.

IainGillam
    Free Member

As said above go to a decent running shop and try on a lot of pairs find a brand that fits for you and stick with that. I like others favour Saucony I use the progrid Triumph 6 for training and the fastwich 3 for racing. I also like to train off-road as it's a little easier on the knees and a little more varied for the mind, I like to occasionally combine a run with the dog walk which ups the pace somewhat! For off-road I use Salomon xa pro 3d ultras, which I bought on-line as I own an older pair however the fit of the newer model seams slightly different which goes to show that nothing really beats going into a shop and trying them on.

Iain

lazlo53
    Free Member

what nobody's mentioned mtb, is your weight, you might not be a bfg but you are quite a size for distance running without the risk of injury. If I were you, I'd approach my local track running club and and ask to join a taster session or two, You'll get expert advice wrt ability, style, diet and possibility. If what you've got is muscle you'd have a decent prospect of short track success 400/800m (although both will feel like your legs have been filleted)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Running. Sort of on topic’ is closed to new replies.