Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cove Stiffee advice please.
  • Vortexracing

Looking to change the play bike from the DB Alpine to something else.

I had made my mind up on the new BFE in XS, low BB and just the right TT length.

but I have come across a new, but 2007, Stiffee frameset in small for very little money.

I want to run my Zocchi 66sl's on it.

Is there any difference between the 2007 and 2010 stiffee and does anybody know if the 2007 can handle 160/170mm forks.
    Ta

I'd ask Siverfish but nobody is in cause it's weekend

oh and nearly forgot, has anybody had bad experiences with the stiffee frame?

scud
    Free Member

Hi mate, i've got a 2006 Stiffee frame, the only bad thing i'd say about it is the paint, it has come off in chunks.

As far as I know and no doubt someone will correct me, in the last couple of years the seatpost diameter has increased, the new ones take 30.00mm, mine takes an awkward 26.4mm.

Would recommend it as a bike though, it is my winter bike when trying not grind away every pivot on the full suss in the muck and I run mine with 140 mm Pike forks, you can go up to 160mm though with no problems

Gee76
    Free Member

My mate has one in green!! "he" loves it 🙂

timbercombe
    Free Member

I've had a 2007 one and currently got a 2004 one, not much difference apart from V brake bosses/seatpost diameter few little tweaks. The 2007 is good with 160mm forks, as is the '04

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i think they're only warrantied for up to a 150mm fork (post-2006; prior to that it was 130mm) but regardless i reckon the front end would be super twitchy with 66s on (mine's a 2005 frame with 130mm 'zocchi Z1 freerides and it's not brilliant going upwards).

Vortexracing

The good thing about the 66sl is that i can run it anywhere between 100 and 170mm by altering the neg pressure. Just can't be done on the fly.

MrAgreeable

I think aside from the potential warranty or breakage issues it would mess up the handling something rotten. The BB is pretty high anyway with 130mm forks, put 160mm forks on there and you'd be looking at something that would require you to climb like you were suffering from appendicitis and corner like a baby giraffe in a pair of Christian Louboutins.

They are good frames though and seem as bombproof as anything out there, for a reasonable weight. The paint is falling off mine a bit but it is nearly 5 years old now.

MrAgreeable

Oh and they are light frames for what they are, bunging a pair of boat anchor forks on there seems a bit of a waste IMO. 🙂

Big-Pete
    Free Member

The gloss paint is far tougher than matt finish

Disco808
    Free Member

I ride a 2008 Stiffee in the Alps and LOVE it!! nothing quiet like a Free Ride hard tail for a rewarding ride.

I started with a pair of Talus 36 RC2's with 160mm travel which it took with no problems at all but the handling of the bike does degrade above about 140mm so iv'e now fitted a pair of Talus 32 rc's with 140mm much better……

Vortexracing

boat anchor forks

The 66's only weigh marginally more than a 426 coil pike.

rb
    Free Member

I have a 2008 stiffee with pike 454 fitted and its fantastic

bobster
    Free Member

Stiffee is a great bike, but why change from the Apline? IMO you'll gain nothing

Sancho
    Free Member

here is mine which is totally mint, its a ragging machine.
    a friend has one in small with 36's on and its mental

Kamikirk
    Free Member

My only complaint about my Stifee is i break long before it does!

Bombproof bike, can do far more than i can.

Vortexracing

but why change from the Apline

the Alpine is a 21" TT I find it too short for me.

Thats the reason.

mk1fan
    Free Member

170mm will be too much on the front end unless all you do is uplifts in the Alps.

No geo changes between 07 and now. Paint improved though. 26.8mm (early) seatpost models have geo for upto 130mm (although they're still fine with 140mm Pikes) 30mm seatpost models (current) have geo for upto 150mm (although fine with 160mm).

Great bike and contrary to what others have said I don't find and climbing issues running mine with 150mm forks.

However, if the BFe is 'right' for you then go for that.

Vortexracing

Cheers for all the inputs guys, but after riding the Cotic Soul today, I think it will the BFe. The geometry and more importantly the fit seems spot on.

and MK1fan I don't know if the BFe is right for me, but it should be less of a change from the Soul to that, than to the Stiffee.

cheers again gents

Dave

ton

get one with a motor……………. 😉

Vortexracing

you sarcy sod. 😉

Just give me a couple of months and I won't be at the back dying and breathing out my arse.

Good ride today Ton. Buggered now though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cove Stiffee advice please.’ is closed to new replies.