Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Courier bag
  • z1ppy

I’m in need a new bag and looking around I think I’d prefer a courier bag to a satchel type. Needs to be able to fit a 15″ laptop in, tool pouch and my lunch, but no need for much more than that, so I’d prefer it compact, not tent like. I also like the two strap courier option, suggestions? (even if it’s a recommended manufacturer)

crankboy
    Free Member

I have a chrome it is well over ten years old the ” seat belt ” strap has just started to wear I would say it has been used about 1 day in 4 over that time and been in two proper bike vs car crashes . storage wise it meets your needs . Chose colour and size wisely as you won’t be needing to replace any time soon.

Cletus

I bought the older style Osprey Flapjack from Evans Cycles a couple of years ago and have been really pleased with it. It is pretty compact but I can get a lot in it and all the pockets and features are well thgough out. It is wearing really well too – looks almost new despite daily use. Recommended.

bigblackshed

I’ve got a Chrome Metropolis which is frankly HUGE. The Citizen would be a more appropriate size. They are built bombproof. Mine’s survived 10 years of cummting in all weathers and still looks tidy.

If you want something British made, by the designer, then take a look at bigXtop. Really well made, quality bags. And Jordan is a top bloke as well. Have a chat with him, he may be able to do a custom size if the mini messenger isn’t right.

z1ppy

Cheers all, had seen the Osprey bags discounted on Wiggle (would prefer a stabilizing strap), like the look of the chrome ind’s bags, pity that the bigXtop bag is so large (for my purposes), think for my use, custom bag would be OTT but I asked for recommendations and that what I got, many thanks

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Keepin it reely reel – get a timbuk2
    Mine’s still going strong at the ripe old age of 26 years old.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Kriega – their new ones are fantastic.
    10yr guarantee, fully waterproof, expandable and don’t move even at “ahem” mph…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

My timbuk2 has got to be knocking on for 10 years old….pretty much never leave home without it.

Handsomedog
    Free Member
    z1ppy

flapjack looks a bit big, liking the timbuk2 classic messenger

kiwijohn

Get a custom Timbuk2 & go wild.

benp1

Timbuk2 is my most used courier bag, does the job brilliantly

Crumpler one I have is OK, but I prefer the Timbuk2 one. Haven’t used either in about a year though!

Currently using a Brompton Game Bag as it fits on my brompton brilliant, natch, and is acceptable as a bag in its own right

TheGingerOne

Ribble Cycles are still selling the Altura Dispatch messenger bag for £18.99. Sounds like it fits your requirements

Edit: Sorry, only takes 13inch laptop

gummikuh

Another shout for timbuk2, I bought mine second-hand off ebay about three years ago, used every week day since, it stays put on your back and can be pulled up tight high on your shoulders.
    It takes a surprising amount of stuff as well, useful when you get your bike part purchases sent to work to avoid those boring conversations with your partner about cost!

Cougar

I think I’d prefer a courier bag to a satchel type

I don’t mean to derail the thread but, what’s the difference? I thought they were the same thing.

Sheriff_Fatman

I like to have a padded back on a courier bag to make it a bit more comfortable. I’ve got a massive bagaboo which is great for large loads, really well made, but expensive and overkill for day-to-day.
    My current go-to bag is from Grim:

http://www.grimbags.co.uk/bags/4570661245

seems really well made easily as good as anything I’ve had from Timbuk2 or Chrome, a good size and comfortable as well as a good price.

maccruiskeen

[quote]
    I don’t mean to derail the thread but, what’s the difference? I thought they were the same thing.[/quote]

“courier bag” has a bit of double meaning. Cyclists tend to think of the big flat strap across your back, single strap bag as used by cycle couriers. But a ‘courier bag’ also refers to more satchel-like carry on luggage for air travel. The name dates back to an era pre-email / fax when it was quicker to send important documents as hand luggage than as cargo in the hold in airplane. It meant a cheap way to travel the world was with ‘courier tickets’ – last minute tickets which shipping companies would offer to travellers on the basis you flew when and where they needed you to and took a bag of documents with you to hand over at the destination airport. Not putting stuff in the hold shaved a few hours of each side of the flight for expedited packages

Those are more the sort of thing that you’d use as a laptop bag for work now which you’d wear with the strap longer down at your side or across your lower back instead of high and tight across your shoulders. Cycle type courier bags tend to have a larger single volume inside, quicker easier access to that, the means to adjust tighten everything up in the bag and against your back and are usually much more weather proof. Their shape is also more stable and keeps the bag on your back whereas something more satchel like keeps trying to swing forward when you’re riding.

HansRey

those bigXtop bags look great

bigblackshed

Cougar – Moderator

I don’t mean to derail the thread but, what’s the difference? I thought they were the same thing.[/quote]

Courier bag:

Satchel bag:

z1ppy

yep it became obvious after posting I wanted a “messenger” bag (which I called courier, thanks to BBshed for clarifying), though I think most ppl realised, as I’d mentioned the extra strap. I hadn’t even thought that courier bag would be taken as per maccruiskeen explanation, because I fall into his “cyclist” category.

maccruiskeen

I hadn’t even thought that courier bag would be taken as per maccruiskeen explanation, because I fall into his “cyclist” category.

And because its not the 1950s anymore 🙂

To muddy the waters – the aviation luggage ‘courier bag’ which is still part of luggage companies aviation range of bags is also known as a ‘messenger bag’ too

A courier or messenger bag is front left in this set

z1ppy

Just to add I bought the Altura Dispatch messenger bag ala thegingerones post, and if that only fits a 13″ laptop, I’ll be a monkeys uncle.. it may struggle to fit a 17″ unit in but my 15″ laptop will fit happily. It’s for sale loads of place for £25 and I can happily recommend it.

I reckon the timbuk2 classic messenger, will be purchased once I destroyed this though, as the extra options & probably build quality (maybe slightly bigger going from the onsite video) on the timbuk2 would be appreciated.
    All the other option were great but just far to large for my needs.
    Thanks all.

nickc

These are very nice

I’ve a Monty and it’s pretty lovely.

IHN

In a ‘not answering the question that’s been asked’ STW stylee; after years of commuting with a courier/messenger bag (Knog/Bagaboo/Timbuk2), I recently discovered the pannier. Absolute revelation, sooo much better at the job.

Panniers are massively uncool, sure.

smashit
    Free Member

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/messenger-dry-bag.html

£30 – look good, but maybe too big?

CountZero

I really shouldn’t be in the market for a new bag, I’ve got three that are all pretty old, a tiny little Polaris one that I bought at the Cycle show in London when MBUK organised it, that still gets used as a camera, binocular and sarny bag when I’m out walking, it has neat reflective strips woven into all of the thick nylon straps which I like, a larger Karrimor bag I bought from John’s Bikes not long after that’s given many, many years of sterling service as my everyday work bag, and a really large Timbuk2 bag with a big reflective plastic panel right round the middle, that’s also getting plenty of use in my current job, as it’s just large enough to take a pair of trade plates for when I’m driving a car around; however, those Grim bags look very, very appealing, with some nice features…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Courier bag’ is closed to new replies.