Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New Di2. Bindun?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    cookeaa

Shadow RD, integrated power measurement, disc brake and caliper options… If only I were richer.

otsdr
    Free Member

That crankarm looks a bit odd.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve always liked the look of DA stuff, but those cranks are fugly.

lunge

Bloody lovely, my credit card is twitching already.

Northwind

There’s something a bit lovehoney about that crank arm.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cranks will probably look ok once you get use to seeing them about, but that single cage length rear mech, that really is fugly. New junction box design looks good.

Wonder how much comparability there will be between the new DA and other e-tube components?

andytherocketeer

interesting the way it inherits several XTR Di2 features, when you’d normally think that road Di2 would be a slightly more mature product than mtb.

no prices yet means pricey as heck.

certainly interesting place for a junction box.

njee20
    Free Member

I actually don’t like that at all. Mechanical FD is the only bit which looks better than 9000 IMO. Shalln’t be flogging my 9070 straight away!

tpbiker
    Free Member

The most interesting part of that is the inbuilt powermeter. I wonder how much that will add to he price of a standard chainset, and if it ever filters down to Ultegra level

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

interesting the way it inherits several XTR Di2 features, when you’d normally think that road Di2 would be a slightly more mature product than mtb.

Au contraire.

Roadies are luddites, especially neo-Roadies waffling on about bidons and saying “chapeau” a lot. MTBers are far more readily accepting of newness, and therefore are a more easily led effective test pool of guinea pigs.

gray

I was hoping that they’d do something cunning like make use of the power meter gubbins to let the Di2 witchcraft optimise the front shift to occur in the right crank position to make best use of the rampy pinny gateyness.

I’m also hoping that they make the new e-tube stuff backwards compatible. I reckon they will… I need to buy a new groupset any day now, so I can’t wait for this. And it’s bound to be rather pricey when it comes out, all things considered!

(If anyone spots any brilliant deals on ‘old’ Di2 then I’d be interested to hear about them.)

toppers3933
    Free Member

Certainly the Bluetooth connectivity is retrofitable to current di2.
    R9100 should start to arrive probably in the new year.

variflex
    Free Member

it’s nice but on my stealth bike I would go for (if I had the money) sram etap gears and cranks, plus these new DA black brake calipers…. job done. really dislike red22 brakes… proper nasty IMHO

igm

Di looks lovely – but I know I’d never have charged the battery

Regenerative brakes and I’m interested

njee20
    Free Member

ive not charged mine since April, and it’s still got 40% left. If you have let it go flat it’ll take enough charge for a ride whilst you put your shoes on and fill your water bottle!

igm

Njee – it’s a comment on me not on Di2 really

mrblobby
    Free Member

Roadies are luddites, especially neo-Roadies waffling on about bidons and saying “chapeau” a lot.

🙄 I’m never quite sure if you actually believe this or if it’s just a lazy troll 🙂

Second look and that RD really is nasty. Looks like it belongs on an mtb.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee – it’s a comment on me not on Di2 really

I realise. But it’s like saying, I wouldn’t buy a bike with a chain, I’d forget to lube it. It’s just a bit of a non issue IMO.

Second look and that RD really is nasty. Looks like it belongs on an mtb

Agreed, 9000 looks lovely, that looks horrible!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Looks a lot better on the Pinarello than on Shimanos website

Considering this will be about for 3 years it doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade over 9070 – still 11 speed, wired, bigger range cassette that was always possible anyway – same creaky carbon cassette spider,

Wheels look nice

Bit meh overall

ransos
    Free Member

Roadies are luddites, especially neo-Roadies waffling on about bidons and saying “chapeau” a lot. MTBers are far more readily accepting of newness, and therefore are a more easily led effective test pool of guinea pigs.

Most roadies I know use their equipment until it wears out, which is several years for any decent groupset.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most roadies I know use their equipment until it wears out, which is several years for any decent groupset.

+1

Although the average bike on a club run (cf. proper roadies) is probably not as new/blingy as the average in some sportives.

MTB’s do often get new stuff first though, hollowtechII cranks being the obvious example, disk brakes the more contentious.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Regenerative brakes and I’m interested

A very complicated, expensive and weight adding solution for a system that requires such infrequent charging.

I have my eye on the hydraulic brake / mechanical shifting levers to replace my current Ultegra ones as I prefer the size of the current Di2 levers on one bike to the RS685 on the other bike.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You could probably do regenerative braking with a peltier set up on the disc brakes, don’t think rim brakes get warm enough.

gray

There’s just no point in having a complicated system to charge Di2 batteries from braking energy. Seriously, if charging once a month or so is too hard then just get mechanical.

If the regenerative braking were to store energy to be released again as kinetic energy then I could understand the desire a bit more, but surely it’d be too heavy and hassley to be worthwhile.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rotors look trick.

“New dedicated Dura-Ace rotors bring better heat management properties to provide stability in brake performance. With an increased adaptor size, heat transfer through the rotor is decreased and more heat can dissipate through the air. This results in a 30°C reduction in rotor temperature over Shimano’s Ice Technologies Freeza rotors.”

CraigW
    Free Member

If you wanted to charge batteries, a hub dynamo would be a lot simpler than regenerative braking. It doesn’t need much power, so it could be a pretty lightweight, low drag hub. Plus it would give you the option of powering lights, or charging your GPS etc.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New Di2. Bindun?’ is closed to new replies.