Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Council Tax exemptions
  • younggeoff

Ok so if you own two properties and live in one but are trying to sell the other and it’s unfurnished how much council tax doe you have to pay on the one for sale. I’m struggling to understand why you have to contribute to the street lighting, refuse collection, local law enforcement etc if you’re not living there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

there are discretionary discounts available. Check with the council.

Its an incentive not to leave properties empty.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You geta reduction but it is because the house has a rateable value and it is still yours that you have to pay. i dont drive my car for 60% of the week and it it is on private land but I dont get a reduction in VED.
    Part of the reason was that in desirable second home areas – Devon , lakes,Wales etc when rich folk bought a seconf house and paid no council tax the poorer local residents had to pay more as a result. Many thought this was/is unfair.. you are just in an unfortunate position.
    think it is only 10 % off – perhaps better to claim one for you and one for partner as you then get 25% of each??

cupra
    Free Member

last time that happened to me we got 6 months exemption as long as the house was unfurnished.

monksie
    Free Member

If it’s advertised for sale or to let and it’s substantially unfurnished, it won’t get 2nd home charged. If somebody has lived in it for 6 weeks prior to it becoming unoccupied and unfurnished, you;ll get 6 months max Class C and then it will got to Empty Property Discount which can be as little as 50% of the full council tax charge or as much as 90% of the full council tax charge (depends on the council) until it is reinhabited.
    Is one of the properties in Wales? That makes it a little more complex if one or both is.
    edit – I’ve just read Junkyard’s comments. You may (if I was processing it you would) have to provide evidence that your partner was using the seperate to you property as main residince. It doesn’t usually happen round here as EPD is 50% but in other areas where it it is above 75%, it does.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Council Tax exemptions’ is closed to new replies.