Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Could there be a UK Tour Divide equivalent?
  • stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Molgrips you’re right, a TD type event and a stage race are very different … which is what I said. It would be pretty easy for a TD type event to morph into a stage race as the pressures increased, eg rider numbers, insurance, revenue, sponsers, etc.

Blackhound

I don’t believe UK could have a race like the TD. For instance

a) TD is 2,750 miles not far off 3 x LEJOG and not through bear country.
    b) You could organise a route over say the Sarn Helen route or similar, or a Tour of the Highlands. If it was free the event would be over-run with us lot as it would take a week tops.
    c) As the TD is 3 weeks commitment as a minimum it straight away reduces the people who can attend when you add on a few days before and after to get home you are looking close to a month’s commitment for most riders.

I agree with Aidan when he said he would prefer less riders in the TD. Personally I would prefer to line up with say ~30 riders like a fw years ago then 80+ expected in 2011. This is not some sort of elitism for me more being on my own – I get fed up of people after a few days. Likely to be a lot more pressure on facilities.

If you go for an over night ride this weekend through mid Wales you are likely to be on your own. If an event was put through you would have riders and tents round every turn.

WRT is a nice balance. Last year despite 50 or so riders I was on my own after about 45 minutes and remained like that until meeting IanB in a bothy hours later. The next day I saw one rider all day until the finish.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course the UK is not big enough for a replica of the TDR. There won’t be bears either and there won’t be any 14,000ft peaks in the area. That’s not the point. A UK equivalent would be much more UK-like – it could not avoid it.

If I were organising it there would be no sponsorship or anything, it would be along those lines ie turn up and ride at your own risk. An off-road LEJOG could be 1,200 miles of tougher trails than the TDR although some road would be unavoidable. Given how many pepole enter Polarises, I don’t think such an event would be over-subscribed at all. Plenty of trail for people to spread out onto.

WRT is great, just not long enough 🙂

Btw if you want to do the TD with fewer riders, you can ride the route at any time of the year, can’t you?

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Defining the TD by the fact that it goes the full length of a country just misses the point though – that’s like equating the Isle of Man End to End to the Divide. With all due respect you really need to think through what you’re saying.

IanB
    Free Member

WRT is great, just not long enough

Have you thought about actually doing it? 😉

WRT is a nice balance. Last year despite 50 or so riders I was on my own after about 45 minutes and remained like that until meeting IanB in a bothy hours later. The next day I saw one rider all day until the finish.

Similar experience here. I rode with Flatfish for the first hour or so, then solitude to Claerddu. It was looking like a lonely even unti you turned up. Following day I rode all day without speaking to anyone – saw flatfish again at a distance on Monks Trod, but that was it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you thought about actually doing it?

Yes, but it’s a weekend away from the fam, which has been historically difficult. Obviously a month away for a bigger undertaking is different.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Could there be a UK Tour Divide equivalent?’ is closed to new replies.