Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Could a thief track me down?
  • psychle
    Free Member

So I've posted up a pic of my hallway bike arrangements, that helpfully also shows a nice collection of bikes/frames in it… I've also posted up a shot of one bike, taken outside near where I live… my wife has just asked me: "should you be advertising your bikes like that?" and I thought, fair question actually, I haven't a clue! 😳

So, if someone wanted to, could they track down where I live (from my online presence)?? Or is that just paronoia?

cheers 🙂

walla24
    Free Member

yes. easily.
    however hope that people just cant be arsed/thieves have too low an iq to use a computer…
    also don't use paypal! 😀

psychle
    Free Member

Really?

brakes
    Free Member

don't worry, no-one would steal your hideous artwork

psychle
    Free Member

he he… thankfully it's not mine, belongs to my landlady, I keep meaning to take it down (as it is quite hideous) but never get around to it…

munkster
    Free Member

Why don't you just remove the image you're linking to in the other thread from the internet?

psychle
    Free Member

yep, I could do that (and may well do…) but I'm also curious as to whether it is actually too much information to pop up on the interweb?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends how much anyone wants what you have. I dont post outside photos of my flat as I don't want people knowing where I live WRT my bikes and their security etc. But how far do you go?

skidartist
    Free Member

A long but interesting article about how trackable we are in the modern world.

For instance, from a photo on flickr you can identify the camera that took the picture, you can then start to look for all the other pictures the camera took.

However I doubt this is part of a burglars MO, opportunity is the main driver for theft. Opportunity is like catnip to burglars, even with a resolve to go on the straight and narrow.

antigee

didn't peterpoddy once win a bet on here tracking people down – something like 3 addresses in an hour? no point searching cos' was prior to this time last yr

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Think I will hang on until you get that nice new Canon 7D 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

If you live in London, unless you've taken a pic of your front door and your street, it's unlikely they'll find you. They're more likely to find you when you "advertise" your bikes by actually riding them to and from your house.

psychle
    Free Member

Think I will hang on until you get that nice new Canon 7D

aaargh… they're coming for me! 😯

Ah well, my home security is OK, it satisfies my insurers anyway, so if the worst did happen I'd be covered (touching lots of wood as I type this! 😆 )

5thElefant
    Free Member

I was a mod on a MX site and I'm aware of 2 cases where people had their bikes nicked after they posted pictures on the forum. In one case the PM'd the lad afterwards to take the piss.

You'd need to have posted something that someone could recognise or a car registration plate somewhere in frame though. By posted something I mean in any post at any time that can be linked to your user name.

scaredypants

<foil hat>

Do you ever buy stuff from classifieds (esp if you put up a wanted note)?
    If so, someone could easily get your address. Could either "sell" you something & then back out or parcel get "lost" in the post & refund you.

Alternatively, do you sell stuff & let people post cheques to you?

I'm not too worried but plenty of people know my address (luckily I have relatively worthless bikes and insurance

(maybe the clever people are the ones who only seem to trade on classifieds & don't talk bikes on the forum (under the same name 💡 ))

psychle
    Free Member

I get all my bike stuff sent to my work address, so that's covered 🙂

Susie
    Free Member

I'm sure I recognised someone's house from a picture posted on here with a £3k+ bike in the picture. I'm not sure if I was right, but we both thought it was the same house. Luckily for the poster, we're not theives.

Airwolf
    Free Member

Oops!

I've just read this thread and remembered asking you the following question a couple of days ago!

Airwolf – Member
    Hey where is that by the way?

And no i'm not a bike thief! I 'm just curious as i live in London too & it looks familiar.

I suppose i should know better than to ask questions like that sorry!

BigSteve
    Free Member

It's very easy. Just one google search and your work address is available for all.

psychle
    Free Member

Well my work address wouldn't help much, though I guess someone could follow me home from there… bloody hell, it's quite easy to get paranoid about this isn't it! Next thing you know I'll be wearing a tinfoil hat! 😳

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Could a thief track me down?’ is closed to new replies.