Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cotic Soul set up
  • jojo
    Free Member

I have a new soul with 120mm forks. Am new to this bike and style of riding but wondering what sort of drop between the top of the saddle and the grips is considered best/usual/standard/recommended etc for the modern style of riding (I come from a VERY old rigid XC bike which was steep but had less drop than that). I have one with what appears to be 9-10cm which seems very high to me and far too steep a drop. I know that this is all a bit ‘what works for you’ but what are the general views on set up for these modern rides? All comments/suggestions gratefully accepted by this novice.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ and have a medium Soul with 140mm forks running about 1/3 sag. My bars are level with the saddle.
    It’s a nice compromise for me of being able to get over the front for climbing and singletrack and getting my weight back for downhill.

If you’re coming from old-school XC geometry, 10cm doesn’t seem unreasonable. most people will have them level or up to 10cm above.

Northwind

I would honestly say, forget about numbers and correct fit, and do what feels right- observe but also experiment. I have no clue what the drop from saddle to bars is on my bikes, it won’t be the same on them all though- they’re all set up to feel right when out of the saddle anyway. The bar drop’s just a small part of a very big picture after all.

No magic bullet in other words.

thorpie
    Free Member

Same here, I have a medium Soul with 120mm forks, short stem and riser bars, no magic numbers just experiment until it feels right. I also have a 97 Kona Cindercone, riding the Cotic after the Cindercone feels like I am sat upright in an armchair but both are comfy when set up right.

Trevor.

chiefgrooveguru

I just checked the sag on mine out of interest – about 20mm or 15% on a 140mm fork. With the saddle up at pedalling height (I have a dropper post) it’s a bit higher than the grips, maybe 50mm.

mattjg
    Free Member

A tad above level they seem to come out for me. Get the saddle right first then mess about with reach and bar height after. Go ride for a while before changing. Just rolling riser bars a couple of degrees back or forwards can make a big difference.

metalheart
    Free Member

As above you need to experiment.

I found at a shorter stem and wider bars really helped.

My set up is as here:

[/url]

It’s a little low saddle wise but if I’m not doing a monster climb I tend to leave it. Wouldn’t really jack it up more than 50mm though. Whatever suits you is fine though!

saladdodger
    Free Member

My just built soul has 125mm forks fitted

I am 5’8 and ride a medium with a 80mm stem and riser bars the grips are about 1 inch below the saddle.

This set up for me is ace, it is not for everyone and you need to find what is good for you get the saddle height right then play with stem lenghts and heights. Your are best to go out by yourself and play with the set up

good luck be patient and happy riding

bigrich

long forks, short stem, wide bars, grippy front tyre, quick release seat post collar.

mattjg
    Free Member

@saladdodger are you anywhere near Surrey? I’d like to try your medium, if you’d like to try my small (ooh err)

I’m 5’8″ 32″ inside leg, have a smalkl with 90mm stem and risers.

honourablegeorge

I’m finding that my front end is a little too low and I haven’t got the steerer tube to do anything about it.

New forks needed.

elgee
    Free Member

That black soul is sexual. What maxxis tyres are those?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and I currently run a medium Soul with a 80mm 6deg stem with 685mm low rise EC70 bars and a EA70 layback post. I’ll probably swap the stem back to a 70mm when I get the time. 80mm is my ‘faster’ setup…

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorry Mattjq I live over by the Quantocks if yer over this way you are more than welcome

karnali
    Free Member

mattjg if your thinking of changing from small to medium let me know would be interested in your frame

MrGreedy

Northwind:
    I would honestly say, forget about numbers and correct fit, and do what feels right- observe but also experiment.

^This. But FWIW I find a saddle position 4 or 5 centimetres above the bars is fine with a shortish stem as they’re pretty long in the top tube. Adjustable forks help too, as you can set up the front end nice and low for climbing (pic below shows forks set at 110mm after a long climb, shortly to be extended to 140mm to get me out of trouble on the hooligan descent).

P1000156_Cropped by markxknowles, on Flickr

metalheart
    Free Member

Elgee:

That black soul is sexual. What maxxis tyres are those?

High roller front Larsen TT rear. Foldy tubey ones. 2.35’s.

While I’d love an orange one it does look ‘classy’ in black 😀

elgee
    Free Member

Sweet it looks amazing mate. I’m in the process of building up a cotic BFe up can’t wait! Pure inspiration seeing yours.

cobblers
    Free Member

Like’s been said above play around and see what suits. My large frame started with 120mm forks, 80mm stem with 6 degree rise, riser bars. I ended up with the same forks, 90mm stem with no rise, flat bars at 600mm width and it suits my 6′ gibbon armed freak body fine. Seat’s about 1 1’2″ above the bars and seems to be a great all-rounder set up. Only thing I’m jiggling with now is the front-back adjustment on the seat.

After seeing Metalhearts Soul tho I really wish I’d got the black frame. That is spank bank material!

metalheart
    Free Member

Guys, please…. 😳

Thing is it’s not exactly bling. Good solid stuff, tops the scales around 28lbs. Seen a fair bit of changes( that’s the 4th set of forks….). Great bike.

It does look good in that photo though 😀

bratty

I used to have my medium with rigid forks on and a flattish 7cm stem with flat bars. this gave a 5 to 10cm drop to the bars. it rode like a old school mtb on steroids, but quite nervous. now I have 100mm sus forks on and have a steepish riser stem upside down to maintain my drop to the bars. I have a 2cm spacer on under the stem though. I think I need a flat stem really and no spacer. I find it goes up and down hill pretty well and goes to show it takes all sorts!

JamesD
    Free Member

LOL! A 3-day old question and not one person seems (afaik) to have asked yet how tall jojo is!!

If you’re tall like me you’ll have a big saddle-bar drop, if you’re short it’s a lot less likely!

Vortexracing

Good point JamesD

I’m 5ft 4″ and this is how mine is set up

P1030740 by eastham_david, on Flickr

theboatman
    Free Member

Dunno, a weeny 5’9 and my saddle is so unfashionably high I have to keep it hidden…

Scamper
    Free Member

What size frame, for 5ft 9 by the way?

GW
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and Cotic don’t make a Soul short enough for me. if I were an average sized girl (like jojo) *I wouldn’t go near one. (girls have shorter torsos)

* if by modern style riding you mean razzing around, jumping, pumping & actually having fun on your XC rides

elgee
    Free Member

Metalheart, it don’t need to be bling to look good dude!

theboatman
    Free Member

* if by modern style riding you mean razzing around, jumping, pumping & actually having fun on your XC rides

Yes, being 5’9 and riding a medium soul I do none of the above.

…well, I do razz around a little, and have some fun. I don’t do any jumping, and if I am honest I have no idea what pumping is. Perhaps, I’m just not capable of having ‘modern’ fun. At 5’9 I’d say small or medium depending on what and how you ride.

nxb1
    Free Member

@mattjg
    i’m based down the road from you in reigate. PM me if you would like to test ride my medium soul to see what the size is like

nigel

chiefgrooveguru

At 5’10” I find a medium Soul is a great fit for XC riding which involves jumping, pumping and razzing wherever possible. No more than 3′ of vertical air thus far and no gap jumps but it feels great and there’s plenty of room to move around. I have no idea what riding a bike being shorter (well I do but I’ve long forgotten!) or taller is like but so much is predetermined by the wheel size and thus wheelbase, chainstay length, BB height, etc.

mattjg
    Free Member

nigel sorry for the delay in reply, thanks for your offer, I’m good with the small, hope our trails cross some time

iDave
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″

This was my Soul, wish I still had it actually….

mattjg
    Free Member

@scamper you should try both small and medium if u can. I am 5’8″ and at the top of a small, lots of seatpost (pic coming)

Edit: here http://mattgillam.posterous.com/soul-in-the-sun

Small frame, 90mm stem, about 240mm seatpost. I’m 5’8 32 in inside leg. I’ll maybe try rolling the seat back 10mm and a shorter stem. The stem, bars and post are Use.

ononeorange

I’m 6′ 2″ and don’t like low bars (knackered back plus an impressive ability to go over the bars); by not cutting down the steerer I have managed to get my saddle pretty close to being level with the bars. It works for me (large Soul).

younggeoff

About 6ft and a bit, large soul and this works for me, think I’ve removed a spaced from the handlebars since the pic was taken 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Ignore the numbers, and get a QR seat clamp.

Remember to also move the seat fore/aft to find the right position.

revwoo
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and Cotic don’t make a Soul short enough for me. if I were an average sized girl (like jojo) *I wouldn’t go near one. (girls have shorter torsos)

SO NOT TRUE!!!!

I’m 5 8 and a half. shorter (regularish girl back), and I am loving my soul.

I have a small, and concede that i ought to get a shorter stem but that is all.

The small frame works well, saddle highish.

Shorter stem, flat pedals, that’s my shopping list.

I’ve got Sektor 120mm’s on it as i couldn’t be doing with high maintenance Fox 32’s. I live in the middle of nowhere and the bike is for riding not stressing out at.

Hope this helps x

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul set up’ is closed to new replies.