Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cotic Solaris mk2, show me yours please….
  • fettlin

As title, please post up pictures of your Solari (?) Mk2’s and inspire me.

I had a drivetrain and stem, bars etc. in the shed so I took advantage of the bargain price of a Genesis High Latitude 29er frame earlier this year.

Good spec, quite light, turns out 29ers aren’t heresy after all!

Only now, well, the itch is itching and I’m looking to upgrade wheels/forks etc. and wondered if a Solaris frame would also be money will spent.

The Genesis is great fun, but I do miss not having a dropper. Also a little steep at the front. And tire clearance could be better.

All of the above seem to be addressed by the Cotic, just need the push to pull the trigger 🙂

davewalsh
    Free Member

Oh go on then, seeing as you insist, although mine in now wearing 650b+ boots.
    Don’t know anything about the Genesis but I love the Solaris 🙂 If you want one, do it !

J273
    Free Member

Now with added dropper – Would love to try 650+ wheels but for now rolling on wagon wheels.

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

J273 – are those pikes stepped down to 120mm on your Solaris?

I quite fancy a gunmetal Solaris as they haven’t done a black grape version yet.

J273
    Free Member

Yeah just replaced the air shaft with a 120mm one.

fettlin

Yep, those I like 🙂

J273, loving the grey, that’s the colour I’d have! What size tires are you running?

Davewalsh, saw yours on another thread, lovely bike! how are you finding the change between wheel sizes? This is another plus point for me, adaptability.

More please! 😀

J273
    Free Member

Tyres are a tad overkill tbh as I use the wheel set on 2 bikes.

They are 2.3 Rock razor and 2.3 Magic Mary. I swap and change the front between a HD,MM and 2.4 Ardent.

I’d defo like to try 650+ though.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I really like it in 650B+ mode, it just seems to unleash a more fun / hooligan character in the bike and I’m not finding it any slower than the standard 29″ wheels on the normal stuff either. I don’t necessarily think it’s a year round option though, it’s a bit skatey in the mud and I suspect I’ll be putting the standard 29″ wheels back on for the winter.
    One thing I would say is if you’re contemplating running B+ then you should go for a boost 110 fork and front wheel, that extra little bit of tyre clearance is enough to run a full 3″ tyre whereas you’ll struggle with anything more than 2.8 in a standard fork. I was originally running a vittoria bomboloni on the front which was an amazing tyre, however there was zero mud clearance and it started to show wear on the fork legs 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

metalheart
    Free Member

I’d post mine but it’s “only” a MkI… 🙁

I’d second davewalsh on making sure your fork will run as a big a B+ tyre as possible (currently 3″ I think).

I’m specing up a 3″ compatible frame, fork & wheelset at the moment (as a result of dabbling with a 2.8″ B+ tyred wheelset) Solaris will be returned back to 29er mod,. 2.8″ wore small grooves in my Reba’s at bulge due to lack of clearance.

RichBowman

Quick question for you – what sizes are you going for? I’m right on the border of a med/large (182cm).

Cheers,

Rich

J273
    Free Member

Im a shade under 6ft and originally went for a medium after taking cotics advice but the thing was tiny.

Sold that and now riding a large and it fits perfect with a 50mm stem and wide bar combo.

swanny853

Quick question for you – what sizes are you going for? I’m right on the border of a med/large (182cm).

I’m somewhere between 5’9 and 5’10 depending on how long the tape measure is and I’m on a medium (mk1), using a 55mm stem and 740 bars. Saddle typically around the middle of the range. I think I’d find a large pretty stretched.

RichBowman

Cheers!

Rich

P.S. Lovely looking Bikes…

fettlin

6’1 in me socks so I’m looking at a large.

Had a large Soul mk2 and it was a little short, but the Solaris is a bit longer so would be sound.

Thanks for the input so far, some lovely bikes 🙂

Bregante

Late to the party as usual but this is my Mk2 that I picked up yesterday.

I have had a Mk1 a couple of years ago which I sold to buy a full suspension but being honest with myself a hardtail is all the bike I needed.

Love it.

benman
    Free Member

Recently built this 19″ Solaris up. I’m 5’11” so probably right between sizes. Seems to fit okay though.

SimonR

There’s a few more pics and thoughts here too … http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-solaris-inspiration-please

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris mk2, show me yours please….’ is closed to new replies.