• This topic has 74 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by core.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Cotic Solaris – inspiration please
  • mccraque

I’ve been considering building myself a nice simple winter bike. As with these ideas, what initially started as a cheap “pub bike” build has now turned into something else. I want a project and I’ve never built a whole bike myself so fancy seeing if I can.

I’ve got a fs (zesty) and I’ve a 29 HT for racing. I’ve no real requirement for a new bike at all. But n+1 has kicked in and I’ve fallen in love with the look of a Solaris frame. In orange, naturally.

Am considering building a Solaris and have visions of beefy 30mm wide 29 wheels, 120mm fork and a 1×10 or 1×11

Anyone got one and done something similar? How do they ride? Is it worth the extra cash over something like an on one inbred?

Thanks

shaungero
    Free Member

Don’t have the Solaris (have a 275 soul) but if you can afford a cotic they are just a class above an on-one imo.

mccraque

I sort of feel that… But am struggling to think why I want a heavy steel frame! Tangible reasons!?

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Love my Solaris, certainly don’t ride heavy. Do it! You’ll love it

NormalMan

My build is far more xc than many but it’s not heavy IMHO.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

I’m running 2×10, X-fusion Slide 120 fork, Stans Arch EX with Minion on front and a Smorgasbord on rear just now.

jimw
    Free Member

I have had both an On One 456 ( not an inbred, but closeish) on 140 mm fork with Crossmax St 26″ wheels and a Solaris on 100 mm forks and Crossmax St29 wheels with 2.3″ tyres.

Believe me, you’ll notice the difference (In a good way…).put it this way, I kept the On one for about 7 months, the Solaris 3 years and counting.

The Solaris weighs 26 lbs with pedals and 2×10

metalheart
    Free Member

I don’t know about the Mk II (it having been optimised for inline) but the Mk I is tight enough clearance with a front mech on Ardent 2.25″. So I’d say definitely go 1x (I believe Cotic are about to go 1×11 on complete bikes imminently). From what I can make out a 30T front and 40T at the back (XT) will give you similar bottom gear as a double. I fancy trying 1x myself!

Think mine must be knocking three years as well (first green batch). I really like mine, but don’t have any on-one frame of reference for comparison.

A Solaris frame is £499, reckon your build would be over £2k (if buying everything new), you might as well get a decent one. A decent set of forks will cost you £500….

From memory mine built up around 28lbs with 3×10 XT, Hope M4s, Reba’s, Arch Ex/tubeless Ardents & flatties (solid build, no weight weenie components).

whitestone
    Free Member

I love mine. I’d hardly say it’s heavy, the frame is about 2.2Kg for a large so only about 750g more than a decent carbon HT frame. Mine’s built up with X-Fusion forks, Hope wheels, a 1×10 drivetrain, a Reverb dropper post, Shimano XT brakes. Total trail weight is 12.7Kg, like metalheart I didn’t go for weight weenie components preferring reliability over willy waving weight saving.

If I wanted to get the weight down then swapping out the Reverb and the forks would give most gain.

My wife was jealous enough that we got her a Soul 😀

nwill1
    Free Member

I was really torn between a Solaris and a Stanton Sherpa I started assembling parts and ended up buying a 26″ Ti bike!! Doh …I’ve been no use at all but they do look amazing!!

davewalsh
    Free Member

Here’s mine, beefy wheels (easton heist 27) check, 120 fork (pike) check, 1×10 (32t oval chainring, 11-36 cassette) check. Will tell you tomorrow how it rides but after testing one earlier this year, I expect it to the great 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Love mine. It’s 3 years old now out of the first batch of green frames and a keeper. It Is certainly not heavy.

Running Shimano SLX 2×10 drivetrain, SLX brakes, Fox 32 100mm forks, ProII/Flow EX (25.5mm internal) wheels and tubeless Ardents (2.4 F / 2.25 R).

I think it cost me £1800 to £2000 to build and its intention was to be a winter bike to save my expensive boutique carbon full suss but it’s outlived it (lots of factors to this though, 26″ wheels, type of riding and riding opportunities, etc), became my go to ride and at present is my only ride. It’s been to Torridon, Arran and the Lakes this year so very capable.

Currently toying with the idea of buying/building a B+ wheelset. I’d be quite tempted to buy a set of rigid carbon tapered forks from Exotic when they do a QR15 set too.

In summary, Do It!

Vortexracing

I bought one of those £299 small frames in ‘look at me green’.

Just finishing the build today, getting my wheels trued tomorrow and will be trying it alongside my 26″ Soul.

I have had Cotic bikes for years, BFe, Roadrats and 3 x Souls, they just seem to be spot on in my opinion.

I love the Soul, but I have always wondered what this 29er thing is like, so I thought I would have a go.

build will be

Small green MK1 frame
    Revelation RCT3 @ 120mm
    XT Double
    Formula R1 brakes
    Hope Enduro Wheels
    Maxxis Beaver 2.25 EXO – Tubeless
    Reverb
    Fatbar Lite
    Race Face Turbine Stem

so not light, but exactly the same as the Soul.

I also bought it to have a go at this 650+, but it’s 29″ first and then 650+ when the rim prices drop a bit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xRXgNV]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

and nearly built (with 26″ wheels ATM)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AQGQN6]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

dazh

Tangible reasons!?

I’ve a carbon 29er race bike, a 26 full-suspension trail bike, and a solaris. The Solaris gets ridden way more than the others put together. It really is a do everything bike, from 8 hour all-dayers, thrashing round trail centres, or steep, techy, rocky stuff. Compared to the race bike it’s like riding a full susser, it just seems to float over rocky ground, and with 120mm forks I’ve never thought twice about throwing it down whatever appears in front of me. Get one, I really can’t recommend it highly enough.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had a mark 1 Solaris and it was very nice, and I was mostly happy with it. If it could have taken a 140mm fork and a bigger rear tyre (true 2.35 +) I would have kept it. Given the Soul’s reputation for back end comfort, I was a tad surprised that the Solaris wasn’t especially comfortable.

whitestone
    Free Member

To add to what dazh says, I’ve done everything on mine from 300Km ITTs to steep Alpine tech. It’s basically killed the N+1 itch as every time I think “ooh! That looks nice, I’d quite like one of those” I do a mental version of one of those Venn diagrams and the Solaris covers 95% of the usage of the bike I’m looking at.

If I only did world cup DH courses then it wouldn’t be the bike I’d ride but apart from that I don’t see a reason to get another bike.

NormalMan

Although I’ve already replied, I didn’t add my spec so here goes:

100mm X Fusion Slide forks.
    Deore XT 1×10 with Hope N/W chain ring.
    XT brakes 180/160 rotors.
    Nukeproof electron pedals.
    Thomson seat collar, cotic seat post, charge spoon.
    Hope tech xc wheels with mountain king II 2.2 tyres.
    Cotic 60mm stem, Renthal fat bar lite, esi racers edge grips and Hope headset.
    PDW ‘bird’ cage.

roverpig

Mine is currently in chubby mode and seems to be coping quite well with the autumn/winter slop.

It’s currently setup 2×10 as I nicked all the 1×10 stuff for my new Smuggler, but it worked just fine as a 1×10 with regular 29er wheels too.

Vortexracing

what wheels and tyres is the ‘chubby mode’ roverpig?

oh and are they Revs on the front?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Also love mine and would buy another tomorrow.
    Set up is XTR 3×9, XT brakes, reverb, hope/stans arch wheels
    First ride on it today since the start of the summer.
    Up until today it had Fox 32 120mm travel forks on it and was very happy.
    However Recently I had a pair of Fox34 140/110 Talas forks fitted mainly because I had them spare after other bikes got upgraded and I fancied trying them.
    The plan was to ride mainly in 110 travel mode and turn up to 140 for the downs but as it turned our 110 felt to low at the front and it felt like there was resistance to pedalling (had this feeling before with Talas forks) so ended up riding at 140 for the whole ride.
    Have to say I loved it and will be keeping the forks on
    PS I know the frame isn’t warranties for 140 forks but I ran them with lots of sag and I’m hardly Rad!!!!

Anyway get one you won’t regret it
    Cheers
    Steve

mccraque

Wow… Wonderful builds. Not sure I can afford this…. But I’m going to have a crack…

jamcorse

Mine’s now in chubby mode with Chinese carbon rims and xt 1×10. It is a great complement to my carbon fs bike and used for fun rides, when I’m not in a hurry, bike camping, love it! 12kg

SirHC

Built mine up as an xc bike, hence no dropper and 100mm forks. Although a dropper will be fitted at some point (see last point). Narrower tyres are being fitted this week to cope with the winter mud.

Can’t compare the Solaris to an Inbred, in a different league. The solaris is pretty light for a 29er and has quite relaxed geometry (and all the better for it).

Only gripe is the lack of stealth dropper routing, although the new fox dropper may just be the ticket.

roverpig

what wheels and tyres is the ‘chubby mode’ roverpig?

oh and are they Revs on the front?

Wheels and tyres are the package sold by Cotic (WTB Asym on Hope hubs, 29mm rear and 35mm front with Trailblazer tyres)

Forks are dual air revs (at 120mm). I tried the wheels in the Pikes that I have on my Smuggler as well. There was a bit more space with the Pikes but the Revs are fine with this combo.

Vortexracing

Perfect, that was the answer I was looking for 😉

oxym0r0n

Okay, this photo is 4.5 years old but the frame, forks, wheels, cranks, and controls remain largely unchanged.

Now has fabric saddle, Magura Mt6, carbon niner bars and 10 speed slx/xt/works drivetrain.

Racey but capable for most situations where others are riding bigger bikes…

[/url]IMG_0452 by oxym0r0n, on Flickr[/img]

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP my BFe started off conceptually as the winter thrash bike but things moved on a bit, as usual a slippery slope of a better component here and there. It’s now the bike I ride 80-90% of the time which is a crime really as my Covert is very capable too.

The cost of a Cotic build over other manufacturers is quite small really ( 😉 ) and IMO very much worth the extra the frame costs. You’ll also re-sell a Cotic frame easily and for a relatively good price vs other manufacturers

LAT

I love mine. I built it with spares of varying vintage. It is a beautiful bike to own, admire and ride.

Can’t remember the OP’s questions, but mine is duck egg, 1×9, 2.2 smorgasbords on wtb i25 rims and 100mm forks. After trying 120mm forks I decided I preferred the lower bb and riding position with 100mm forks. I will fit some wider tyres when the smorgasbords are done or perhaps try a B+ setup.

I can’t think of a reason not to give one a go.

Speshpaul

Roverpig/Andy where was that 2nd picture taken? Gatten Plantation?

roverpig

Roverpig/Andy where was that 2nd picture taken? Gatten Plantation?

Up on Bennachie (Aberdeenshire). On part of the Gordon Way I think.

Speshpaul

So no where near where it looks like it was taked:-)

The first ride on my Solaris I stopped to take some pics, and location look remarkable similar.

roverpig

I guess one heather clad mountain is much like another really 🙂

More importantly, how did you get on with the Solaris?

Vortexracing

Just finished mine ‘Ickle one’ it’s now ready for it’s shake down ride 😀

[url=https://flic.kr/p/A3UwPa]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

mccraque

Guys – trying to weigh up size needed. I’m 5’11, of average proportion and according to the Cotic site should be looking at the 17.5, but that sounds a little small for me (compared to my other steeds) – But the 19″ look large!

Any recommendations? I generally prefer a longer bike than a “chuckable” one. Thanks¬

jimw
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and the large is perfect with a 70mm stem 711mm bars and a straight dropper seat post. Unfashionably long stem and short bars but it is comfortable for an old g*t like me

SimonR

Loving mine – really fun bike to ride.

Mine’s a pretty new build. Bought the frame and transferred parts from another bike. Generally SLX with revelations, Reverb and Hope brakes. I stayed with a triple because I wanted it to cover everything from fast local rides and commutes through to loaded – up bikepacking weekends.

I’m 5’10” and went for the medium – still feels nicely roomy in the top tube but with plenty of stand over.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ASkvqa]2015-11-24_04-54-49[/url] by Simon Read, on Flickr

mccraque

Thanks SimonR – what’s the bar width and stem length?

wicki
    Free Member

Interesting comment that Cotic is a cut above Onone/PX in the quality is that the consensus here?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    If it helps I’m 6ft riding a large with 750 bars and 50mm stem and reverb seat post.
    Feels spot on.
    Also have a large Soul (740 bars and 60mm stem) and Large Rocket (740 bars and 70mm stem but with 25 degree rise as forks have quite a short steerer)
    Cheers
    Steve

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m 5’11, of average proportion and according to the Cotic site should be looking at the 17.5, but that sounds a little small for me (compared to my other steeds) – But the 19″ look large.

I’m just shy of 6′ and am pretty happy with my medium mk1. Run 65mm stem with 762mm bars. Mk 11 is optimised for inline which I think means the ETT is longer.

The difference between med and L is only 17mm on ETT but 40mm in seat tube, might make a difference depending on your inside leg measurement.

I know I say this every time on threads like this: give Cotic a call/email and discuss size with them. I helped a mate buy a soul the other week, Cy couldn’t have been more helpful. I’m pretty sure he’ll tell you to go medium though. BITD I went from a 19″ Cove to a med Soul. I’ve bought another 4 medium frames since…. 😳

[url=https://flic.kr/p/df2WhM]Finished (and post ride)[/url] by Rotpunkt-UK, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris – inspiration please’ is closed to new replies.