Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cotic Solaris
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I want to build up a cheap second hand Solaris but need to find out a couple of things first.

Are there any different versions of the frame other than colours? If not I take it I would be better off using tapered forks to increase stiffness.

How big can I go with rear tyre? Would a 2.35 Schwalbe fit in there?

Thanks

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ye there was a revised frame with a stronger and stiffer (maybe Reynolds) down tube which negated the need for head tube gusset.

I have a Large blue one for sale (the revised one) with rebas, 1×10 slx and hope hoops if you’re interested. After £900.

varty.josh@hotmail.co.uk

robbonzo
    Free Member

Rear tyre clearance is tight! Not had a schwalbe on mine but fitted a beaver 2.25 fine, albeit with minimal room for mud to pass through. Lots of people modify the arm on their front mech to give abit more space. Great frame.

NormalMan

Info on the frame change as per Cotic site:

February 2012: First production frames arrive.

November 2012: Solaris placed in What Mountain Bikes Top 10 Bikes Of The Year.

February 2013: Latest iteration production frames arrive now using a full Reynolds 853 front triangle. The switch resulted from Reynolds DZB (Dual Zone Butt) tubing becoming available in lengths suitable for 29er use. This down tube allows us to eliminate the gussets whilst still getting meeting the regulations and getting the durability we require. Back to the super clean Cotic lines!

grievoustim
    Free Member

i happily run a 2.25 Rocket Ron on mine – but don’t think I would go any wider at the back

And mine is 1×10 so I’ve no idea if a front mech would cause problems on a tyre that size

NormalMan

My rear tyre is a 2.2 mountain king which fits fine BTW. Also running 1×10.

tootallpaul

I have run…

Continental X king 2.4
    Geax Sagaro 2.2

They fitted fine.

soulwood
    Free Member

Rogan josh, definitely interested in your frame and wheels if you decide to split. e-mail me a price on soulwood555 at gmail.com

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.35 Nobby Nic in the back of mine, it fits and has workable clearance but I wouldn’t want to go bigger.

stick_man

I found Hans Dampf 2.35 were too tall / high volume so whilst you could just about get one in, any wheel flex or mud on the tyre would’ve made it run on the frame.

I’ve put Maxxis Ardent 2.4s on it now and it’s fine.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I found Hans Dampf 2.35 were too tall / high volume so whilst you could just about get one in, any wheel flex or mud on the tyre would’ve made it run on the frame.

I can believe it. The Dampf has somewhat sticky out side knobs. The Nic is pretty much straight up so it fits o.k. It is tall though, it’s getting well into the part where the stays come back in and it’s less than a finger width off the back of the seat tube.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can anybody tell me what length sterrer is needed on a large solaris with a hope headset? The headset and fork are both tapered if that makes a difference.

tootallpaul

I can have a look at mine this evening…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks

Chipbutty
    Free Member

170mm steerer on mine with no spacers under stem.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Running a Onone Smorgasbord in the rear on mine, no issues. Also had a 2.25 Ardent in there no issue.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks chipbutty that’s about where I guessed it would be. Excellent.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris’ is closed to new replies.