Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Realistic rebuild cost for house insurance?
  • Mugboo

It’s that time again and I haven’t a clue.

As an example, I’ve used the ABI calculator and it reckons that my stone built Victorian semi would cost between £223,000-£327,000 to rebuild. It’s only worth £160,000.

Seems like a lot of money to me but then again, I’d hate to have a fire and be underinsured…

tomkerton
    Free Member

Generally the rebuild cost is significantly les than the market value – some where between a 1/2 and 2/3. Yours is an unusual situation. Does the RICS website offer any more info?

longj
    Free Member

The market value and rebuild cost generally bear no relation to each other. All depends on location and build materials. Eg a house in London will cost significantly more to buy than to build due to the ridiculous price of the land. However if you had to build a stone thatched cottage in say Newcastle the opposite may be true.

Quite a few insurers will insure up to 500k as standard. Could you not go with one of those ?

br
    Free Member

Generally the rebuild cost is significantly les than the market value – some where between a 1/2 and 2/3. Yours is an unusual situation. Does the RICS website offer any more info?

Maybe, if you’ve a new built detached in a high-price area – ie land is expensive and only your house burns down.

A Victorian-semi could easily impact the neighbours house and will/could require non-standard materials and probably high-levels of labour etc.

Cougar

The rebuild cost on mine is much, much higher than the house value. It’s the minimum they’d quote for.

Ask your insurer for guidance if you’re not sure.

Mugboo

I’m sure that the last time I asked my insurance company, they reckoned £80,000.

I thought that generally, when building, it was a third for the land, a third for the build & a third for profit. Although that doesn’t take into account, taking down my house and my neighbours and then rebuilding the buggers!

Mugboo

Filled in the Direct Line quote thingy with my bigger figure and it hardly changed the premium so better safe than sorry..

wrightyson
    Free Member

The stone unless it was a monumental **** fire would be reused in the most part. 100k will build you a lot!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Realistic rebuild cost for house insurance?’ is closed to new replies.