Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cotic Rocket or Mondraker Foxy XR, opinions?
  • gaz552
    Free Member

Ok, so brief background I’ve raced motocross for about 15years but due work and life in general getting in the way I don’t get to race as much as I’d like.

So I’m wanting to get myself a bike to help keep fit but mainly for fun, inbetween/when I’m unable to go racing motocross.

I will be riding basically whatever and where-ever I can, and being from a motocross background you can be sure I’ll be trying to jump of anything I can.

With this in mind I’ve been researching bikes and frames to see what best suits what I’m after.

First up is the Cotic Rocket. It sounds pretty much ideal, surprisingly good at climbing and a real blast on the descent providing tons of feedback and jumps well.

My only real concern would probably be the bolts in the rear triangle that stick out a bit may catch on my legs.

Then I came across the Mondraker Foxy XR, and the forward geometry really intrigues me especially as it’s geometry more inline with what I have on my motocross bike.
    Reviews of it seems very favorable, with it providing a very direct feeling/handling and also a very capable rear suspension setup.

A complete Foxy XR is simply far far too expensive for me to consider but, I can however buy a frame for £1500 (though I’m not sure if it comes with a shock or not which could be a deal breaker), which is roughly the same price as a Cotic Rocket frame would cost me.

So I’m looking peoples opinions on both of these frames to help me decide which is going to be the better route for me to go down.

Northwind

Did they not change the sticky-out-bolts thing on the Rocket?

chakaping
    Free Member

The Mondraker might not be the best option if you want to do a lot of jumping.

I’ve had a Foxy and a Dune and they’re more “stuck to the ground” sort of bikes, if you know what I mean? Great for sucking up rocks and roots and able to take the jumps or drops but don’t have a massive amount of “pop”.

Also the construction of the rear end makes them a bit flexier than some bikes. That’s the price of having one of the lightest alloy frames in their class I guess.

Can’t comment on the Rocket, but I’ve love the look of them and the things I’ve heard from riders.

crossland
    Free Member

On looks alone I’d buy an Orange Cotic Rocket.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just back from the 4th ride on my Rocket. It’s an absolute hoot to ride. Really easy to hop and manual and the handling at speed is fantastic.

The bolts on the swingarm have been changed from the original ones, and it was a non-issue anyway if you didn’t have calves like rugby balls.

It’s a really nicely constructed bit of kit too. Loads of little details like custom bearing caps everywhere to help stop crap getting at the pivots,bucket loads of mudroom and it’s straighter than my “handmade in the USA by real Muricans at great expense” Intense.

gaz552
    Free Member

@chakaping – Thanks, you understood the kind of information I was after.
    Would rather have ‘pop’ than stuck to the ground. Tbh It was mainly the forward geometry that really had me interested in the Foxy XR.

@JonEdwards – That’s good to know that the swingarm bolts have been changed, was just one of those things I’d hate to have been one of the unlucky ones who had issues catching on them.

What kind/length of stem you running on your rocket?
    I’ll now have to try to figure out what parts I can use in my build.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Bolts have been changed and cause no issues whatsoever. Go for the rocket, I love it.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Oh and you are in the lucky position of being able to purchase a green, only black and orange were available when I bought 🙁

passtherizla
    Free Member

Rocket… see my post history 😉

gaz552
    Free Member

I don’t see green listed on cotic’s website, and it still shows Orange as out of stock.

Is it worth getting the Fox CTD Kashima Boost Valve over the Fox Float RL?

chakaping
    Free Member

I would get the better fox or the bos shock myself. Had the basic fox shocks before and always ended up swapping or getting them modified.

nodrog2
    Free Member

I’m biased as I own a Rocket but seriously get one! All the hype about them being infectious, fun, eager, fast, agile is so true. They pedal really well for a 150mm travel bike as well. Best bike I’ve owned (I know everyone says that about a new bike but seriously it is!). So much better than the Nomad I was riding previously. Don’t worry about the stay bolts, its not an issue.

As for the shock, I demo’d the bike with a float rl but purchased a frame with the cdt. Definitely a better shock but the bike still rides great with the rl. In hindsight I would probably get the BOS if I was buying again.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Where you based Gaz? Welcome to a try of mine if you are in the NE of England and would be after a medium (I’m 5ft 11).

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Another rocket owner here, had mine a year now. I went rp23, but ive since bought a bos fork, so with hindsight……… anyway, its a really good bike for having fun. I was running a 70mm stem but recently changedto 80mm for a longer ride and havent changed back as its more comfortable now. Im inbetween sizes, i got a small but im probably near the top end of small.
    Anyway, must get out of bed and go ride it!:)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket or Mondraker Foxy XR, opinions?’ is closed to new replies.