• This topic has 60 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Limy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Cotic Rocket
  • themightymowgli
    Free Member

Just recieved a letter from Cotic saying they are cancelling all orders for the Rocket.

I feel really sorry for them and for myself I’m really disappointed. I have all new kit sat here ready to go on. What to do?

honourablegeorge

Wow. What a disaster for them, and for customers.

Although that thread with the bloke form Bicycle Manufacturing last week was a real hint that thing weren’t right.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Got one for sale if you’re interested. Medium, Black.

superdan

I’m sat with a fractured hip at the moment so not urgent, but am in a similar situation, pile of bits, and shock ready to fit. Nothing else new looks like its going to tick all the boxes (long, slack, 26″), the only potential option I guess is the Banshee Rune/Spitfire. I picked up an Orange 5 frame to race the EWS on (it turned out to be really fun, it’s a shame they don’t sell a 26″ version any more), so I guess I can keep riding that once I’m fixed until the Rocket is ready to go (launch?)

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Bit sad. Thought the same, sort of, when the grapil died.

Better luck next time.

superdan

To be clear the letter said that the Rocket26 (which makes the other wheel sizes appearing soon seem likely) would happen, but that they wouldn’t take orders on it until they were boxed up and ready to ship.

merynella
    Free Member

And a 25 percent off voucher if you hold on for when they are ready.

ajantom

26″ wheeled, steel, British designed full-sus frame = DMR Bolt Long.
    It has almost the exact same geometry as a Medium Rocket – Head angle: 67º. Seat angle: 73º. Top Tube – 595mm.
    Designed for a 140/150 fork. The rear travel is slightly less at 125mm.
    RRP is £899 with an X-Fusion shock, but can be had online for £720ish if you look around. I just upgraded mine with a CCDB inline, and it rides great 8)

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both… the bolt is a dog in comparison. my Friend Si has owned both and he also much prefers his rocket.

ontor
    Free Member

why not ask the guy from Bicycle manufacturing to make a RockIt “to your own design”.

AlexSimon

A real shame. I hope they get it done eventually. Good luck to those searching for a frame in the meantime – I think this puts me on a Banshee Spitfire.

Mackem

what happened? Why would they not build a bike that clearly is in demand?

AlexSimon

Mackem – Take a read of the rocket vs BTR Pinner thread.

h4muf
    Free Member

Covert. Nuff said.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I know it’s been a tough slog for the Cotic guys and the BMC lot. I understand it can’t be easy for them to see this dream through. And I really believe in what they’re doing. I want a 26″ steel bike that is built in Britain and the Rocket is a stunning looking piece.

The Banshee and the Bolt just don’t tickle me and obviously they’re not UK built.

If they will eventually produce a Rocket26 I will wait for that.

mintimperial

Damn, that’s a shame. I had to cancel my pre-order earlier in the year, but I was still hoping to be able to order one when I could justify it. Hope they still manage to put together a UK-made frame.

ratherbeintobago

Why would they not build a bike that clearly is in demand?

It sounds like it’s been one setback after another. I am sure Cy will be along at some point to explain.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

H4muf, not from 2015. The Covert is no more 🙁 neither is the Bandit. Replaced with the Patrol and Scout. I’ve been wearing my black armband for a few days now. Having said that my Covert has plenty of life left in it!

Shame on the Rocket. It was a toss up between a Rocket and a Covert for me, and I still have a Rocket itch to scratch. Hopefully it’ll all be sorted in a few years when, maybe, I’ll fancy a change from the Covert and still won’t be to old and infirm for a lary bike like that.

PrinceJohn

That BTR is gopping….

Looks like an ugly Empire…

bubs

Guess this makes a pocket rocket unlikely now too. 🙁

Madfly
    Free Member

How did you get the notice?
    I’m on the list and not heard a whistle…

bails

BTR Mixte?

merynella
    Free Member

Letter received in the post on Friday.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I waited 10 months for a rocket, it wasn’t the wait that pissed me off, it was the utter lack of communication. The only time I ever got any info at all, was when I emailed, not once did I ever receive an email to tell of a delay, never mind actually explain a reason.

I know Cy has had a nightmare with this, but your customers are your bread and butter.

The rocket 26 has missed the boat, I know there is some support on the likes of this forum for it, but the vast, vast majority of UK MTBers want 650b now.

Sorry if this comes across as a rant, I really hope cotic get this sorted, still love my soul and always will.

Edit – yes. That pinner is bloody ugly!

matther01
    Free Member

I’m lost for words over that BTR.

Real shame about the rocket…by Cotic will pull something out of the bag in the near future I bet.

merynella
    Free Member

There were three (I think) group emails at various times when deadlines were about to be missed. You must have been missed from the distribution list. Probably worth getting in touch with them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Between January and November last year? No there wasn’t.

merynella
    Free Member

They were after they’d taken pre-orders earlier this year.

toons
    Free Member

So 26 is dead then!

crankrider
    Free Member

Real shame this – I follow mikes Instagram and does look like frames were close to completion, progress did seem very slow though – looks like the work just didn’t get done fast enough – bills need paying I suppose.

He is posting pics of nw rings now so I am assuming needs to get money back in with other projects – it’s a swamped market though…..

chip
    Free Member

What exactly was the problem.
    Did they have a design that worked.
    Did they have a factory filled with the appropriate machinery to build said design.
    Did they have the materials to build the frames.
    Did they have the customers ready to part with their reddies to buy the frames.

If so why no frames.
    What have I missed.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Nothing more to add other than +1 to Nobeerinthefridge and chip.

I demo’d a Rocket last October, pre-ordered in January but ran out of time & patience and bought a Spitfire in March.

Wish them all the best for their UK facility though and still love my Soul 🙂

variflex
    Free Member

such a shame. but for me thats the nail in the coffin for Cotic. their inability to send out a frame on any day apart from thurs/fri when they bulk shipped their goods was just plain silly in this day and age. now with manufacturing issues as outlined in other threads i don’t think the brand will survive. they will always have their staunch fans but that isn’t enough these days. let’s hope they get back to the drawing board and come out with something truely stunning.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If so why no frames.
    What have I missed.

They ran out of Unicorn horns?

As much as the end of 26″ is a pita if you haven’t got in yet with the frame you want take a look at if your forks take 650b (or how much new lowers are) then the only thing missing is a pair of rims and a handful of spokes.
    As much as I was happy to pick up a 26″ bargain a year ago and I’m happy I’m going to get another 2-3 years out of it and have enough spares to keep me going. If I was buying today it would be 650b.

ratherbeintobago

Did they have a factory filled with the appropriate machinery to build said design.

IIRC one of the problems they had was that it took ages to find someone who could do the seatstays they way they wanted, and then the only bloke that could do it came down with a terminal illness.

They also had to build a lot of the machinery from scratch.

Mugboo

I reckon your right about the 650b thing but even now, if they can build the damn thing in 26″, there must be plenty of folks with nice wheels, new Pikes & a garage full of tyres.

If they make it work for both then that’s even better.

chip
    Free Member

I am very sorry for the gentleman who became ill.

But when I think of steel, industry and manufacturing I think of the north of England.
    And when I think of cheap tat I think of Asia.

And yet I feel now I have done them a massive disservice as apparently they can achieve the impossible.

Did the people involved really try to get this going or was it something they thought about when they had a spare minute in between doing there proper jobs as I can’t see how you can not build a frame in this country for under £1800 if you employed unemployed bankers to build them.

I am probably being very naive here. (Almost certainly).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon your right about the 650b thing but even now, if they can build the damn thing in 26″, there must be plenty of folks with nice wheels, new Pikes & a garage full of tyres.

Really? Who all want a British made steel FS bike and willing to pay the price for a 1 off production run?

By the time you get it made and sold (no warranty replacements available) the price would probably mean you can do the swap. Run the rubber down on a HT.

v666ern
    Free Member

Did the people involved really try to get this going

nope, cy and mike really just couldnt be @rsed. Turns out you cant actually make a batch of bikes without stuff like capital. They’ve both ploughed a LOT of time, effort and money into trying to get this up and running. 🙄

I like having time when im not working, bet you do to 😐

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But when I think of steel, industry and manufacturing I think of the north of England.
    And when I think of cheap tat I think of Asia.

Dear oh dear.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket’ is closed to new replies.