Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)
  • Cotic appreciation thread, post them pics up!!
  • Haze

Very nice Tinribz, kind of bike you could spend all day on…

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got a soul and a hemlock but no pics 🙂

Vortex – 275 seems good to me.

Russell96

The Rat in it’s latest guise

Hemlock

Also had a Soul then a Soda but they are long gone

nedrapier

cheers baws!

bobalong
    Free Member

That Rat is mighty nice… What size is it? Do you ride a different sized rat to other sized cotics?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

* The only company (apart from Chromag perhaps) that made a frame with the geometry I wanted.

* Cos its burly as owt and cheaper than the other one

* 9 gears, pike forks and a front and rear brake

* its decent, rides xc well and its good for playing about on

MrGreedy

*Lots of good vibes from people on here so I tried one to see what the fuss was about

*Soul suits my riding 100% – happy doing big days out in the hill and plenty capable enough to get me out of trouble if I bite off more than I can chew. Did a demo at Dales Bike Centre and never looked back

*U-turn Revs (perfect match for a Soul), XT groupset inc. brakes, Flows on Pro2

*Love it! Am tempted by a Solaris though…

metalheart
    Free Member

Rocket.

Because…

Rocket_0192 by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

metalheart
    Free Member

Soda (sold to fund Rocket…)

What are they doing? by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Russell96

Cotic large size has fitted perfect for me (just over 6ft2) on all four that I have had, Hemlock feels Exactly like the Soul/Soda in top tube length wise. The Roadrat I’ve had for a very long time so went with the recommended 130mm stem at the time and it’s still a very nimble bike.

metalheart
    Free Member

Solaris.

Sold on coz it wasn’t green enough… 😳

Glen Tanar Solaris 2514 by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

renton
    Free Member

wow !!! quite a few on here then and not just mtb’s

loving the black rat up there ^^^^^^^

suprised to see only one rocket so far??

have you noticed that most of the mtb’s have thomson posts and stems fitted!

keep them coming then !!

Russell96

More Rat?

nuke

* After a versatile FS frame…Hemlock ticked the boxes.
    * As above
    * Trail bike…120mm rocker, Fox Talas 100-120-140, Joplin post , XT drive
    * Rides great…simple as that really. Shame they ditched it

On the trail…

_tom_
    Free Member

I had this for about a month. Nice to ride, made everything feel pretty easy but not amazingly different to my Trailstar and I needed the money so I sold it.

Set up was 2×9 with Pikes around 125mm. I’d probably have one again but go 1×9 and with a much lower bar setup!

mattjg
    Free Member

* I chose the frame not the brand.

* Wanted to self-build a non-alu HT for XC and ST, everyone here says they are good.

* Reba Team, Sram/Truvativ 2×10, Stan’s Crests tubeless with RoRos, now has Hope Race X2 as well. The build is optimised for where I ride (Surrey Hills), I have a FS for rocky places.

* Does everything I need it to for 95% of my riding.

I’m perhaps less of a Cotic fanboi than some, I don’t doubt there are other HTs just as good, I followed the crowd because in practice it’s not practical to do multiple demos. You could say it was a safe buy.

crocodilian
    Free Member

Metalheart – what are your thoughts on the Rocket so far?

metalheart
    Free Member

Croc: pretty much as detailed here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/if-this-is-slack-then-i-like-it-warning-rocket-content

I also demo’d a Labyrinth Agile which I was also quite taken with (a really nicely balanced bike). Went for Cotic as I know them better and also I knew how to set it up to suit. Wasn’t an easy decision though.

Weather here has been completely utterly pish of late and I’ve not really been getting out on it…

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

* why cotic ?? Cy and Paul.

* why that model – Saw Robbie Rickman took his MK1 BFe to the Megavalanche and thought ‘that’s the bike for me’

* set up 36 TALAS, X9 1X10, Saint, Tubeless 823s, Nobbie nics, Hope

* opinions !! Coming from 3years of BFe riding, the bendy middle is taking quite a bit of getting used to. So far Rocket is a comfortable all day ride but also good fun for a couple of hours play down the local jump spot. 🙂

davecrampton
    Free Member

I have an >X<. Bought it through c2w so its the Weekday with Carbon forks. Upgraded to disks & just paid at time of purchase. It was one of only a few with disks when I looked for a new commuter bike and I love steel. I’ll pop up a photo when I get to work.

jambalaya
    Free Member

[/url] Mam Tor, April 2012 by JambalayaPhoto[/img]

Bfe with 150/120 Sektor Coils (here at 120), 2×10, mainly Hope kit inc excellent “big” brakes, Flows on Pro2. The build was a present to myself upon being made redundant !

I wanted an all round steel HT capable of long distances (for me that’s 60k) but fun on the Surrey Hills trails and capable of the drops and jumps I am (ie on the smaller side). Frame was a bargain at £300. Cotic is a strong brand, with a well designed and made product plus it’s a British company run by people who care about their customers and love their bikes. (note I have a PAC coming too, dialed bikes is a company with the same characteristics)

Love the Blue which is bettered only by the new Green 🙁

I have a 5yr old Reign with Fox 160mm 36’s and I will take both bikes to the Alps this summer, will be interesting to see which I ride more out there. Since getting the BFe I’ve ridden the Reign twice and that was primarily to get it sorted for upcoming Alps trip. It feels like a WW1 tank in comparison to the BFe.

[/url] Spiritual Home by JambalayaPhoto[/img]

mattjg
    Free Member

@jambalaya what chainrings tooth count?

My Truvativ chainrings on my ’11 Soul are worn out and damn hard to replace, I am thinking of dumping but I want to be sure XT 2×10 will fit before I buy. (http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-running-xt-double-crankset-on-a-soul)

If they fit on your BFe, they must I guess, would you know what the chainline is on your double, just in case Shimano have changed it?

(on looking closer – bugger that’s a triple set as double & bash isn’t it?)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mattjg – embarrassed to say I’m not sure! Initially with Simon I specced SRAM triple set up as a double/bash but Rohan talked me into putting this setup on. It works really well and I’ve not lost any low gearing if anything I have an extra ratio vs my old 9 gear setup. I will have a look this evening (If convenient and you don’t mind a drive to Guildford you are welcome to take a look sometime)

Klunk
    Free Member

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Why? Because I wanted a purpose built SS frame and Cotice Simple fits the bill. Then cobbled together with bits left over from other bikes in the shed and minimal eBay / new spend.

Thomson stem, and post. Renthal 34. Acros Headset, Formula brakes, SLX crank, Lapierre bar – cannibalised from other bikes.

Recon Gold TK – eBay

Hope hubs, Fatties Flatties – new.

Simply brilliant, in Pantone 1655 orange too.

mattjg
    Free Member

‘sok it looks like double and bash to me, what I really need to do is find someone running a real XT double rather than a converted triple

I’ll see if I can get past the gatekeeper and through to Rohan.

tomlevell

* why cotic ??

Because I appear to be a FanBoy

* why that model
    Simple – Dims were right and it had track ends.
    Hemlock – Price was right and I wanted shorter rear travel with bigger fork.
    Bfe – Couldn’t afford a Soul.

* set up
    Simple – Light and fast or light and slow in fixed mode. Still needs nice stem and carbon bars.
    Hemlock – 140/120 but stripped for Bfe
    Bfe – 1×10 with big forks running at 120 as they were a hoot like that on the Simple once over.

* opinions !!
    Erm I’m a FanBoy so all ace.
    I’d have a Rocket but can’t afford to build one at the moment.
    Overpriced Hemlock frame anyone?

Simple

Simple by tomlevell, on Flickr

Hemlock

DSCN1958 by tomlevell, on Flickr

Bfe (Forks at 140 but too long for me)

BFe breaks cover of darkness by tomlevell, on Flickr

manitou
    Free Member

A Kona for the 21st century..yawn

soulwood
    Free Member

Why Cotic? I have always liked steel frames, having worked at Brian Rourke Cycles and had a couple of 653ATB custom frames built for me. I left the industry for a few years, went on a MTBing honeymoon and rode a Cove Handjob which was massively different to my very XC Rourkie, I loved it but felt it was slow in the steering dept.

I did some research and found the Soul having similar ideas to the Handjob but crucially with better angles for quicker steering. In 2004 I got my first Soul and loved it, in 2010 I got the FS itch and scratched it. That particular FS lasted 6 months (which some folk consider to be reasonable!) so I got a secondhand Soul and vowed never to stray from a steel frame again.

So now Cy makes a steel FS aaargh!!

Heres my latest addition. Amazingly quick and fun.

And my latest Soul.

honourablegeorge

Vortexracing – Member
    while we are all talking about Cotics

am I asking too much for my Soul frame?

Just under 2 years old and £275 posted seems OK to me, but alas no takers as of yet

Think most people would bay the extra £25 and have a new BFe.

prezet
    Free Member

BFe with new 2013 140mm Talas. Rear brake is being fixed by shimano.

davecrampton
    Free Member

On my connute home.

As it came from the shop.

honourablegeorge

I have two Cotics – can’t post pics as one (Roadrat) is minus wheels, and the other (Soul) is minus hanger, chain & mech from a rock, hanger, spokes disaster last week.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

davecrampton – that picture by the forth bridge is stunning!

I have a BFe; I’ll post pics later

mintimperial

Mk II Soul:

(Doesn’t normally have the Crud Guards on, but this is the most recent photo I have of it.)

Had a ride on a friend’s Soul and thought it was great so I bought one.

140-110 Talas forks, run at 110 most of the time but the 140 is brilliant on bumpier stuff. HiLo seatpost cos it’s 27.2mm, works really well once you swap out the useless original cable. Crests on Hope Pro IIs and a mix of old and new stuff. No idea what it weighs but I think it’s reasonably light.

It’s ace: if I could only keep one of my bikes it would definitely be this one.

Simwit

Why Cotic – because I was let down by another British frame manufacturer
    Why the Soul – because 90% of the build parts were a straight swap
    Setup – 2×10 XT, Hope X2 special ed’ brakes & 100mm Sids
    Opinion – loving it

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a britbike build

Revelation RLs
    XT 2×10 (may change the chainset to 3x)
    Renthal bar and stem
    Hope V2 Brakes (braided hoses for added *bling*)
    Hope Hoops (old pair of DT swiss 5.1s, will be looking for something lighter, the havens I have on another bike are a full pound lighter than these)
    Maxxis HR 2.35 kevlar rear, Schwalbe 2.4 NN snakeskin front
    Hope Headset and seat clamp
    Thompson post
    SDG belair saddle

total build weight; 31 lbs

sadly she’ll stay under the stairs till mid july as I had to leave the country (actually *continent*) the day after I finished the build

tomlevell

manitou – Member

A Kona for the 21st century..yawn

Good thing really as Kona aren’t doing a very good job of it.

letmetalktomark

Why Cotic – If honest it was a bit bandwagonish – best best wagon to date though 😉
    Why the Soul – Aesthetics. Plus didn’t need the gnarl of the Bfe.
    Setup – 2×9 SRAM, Reba Team 120mm Bolt through, flat bar, Thomson bits.

Love it.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all for the replies so far,

have to say there are some really nice bikes on here.

really like the roadrat and also the rocket.

keep them coming !!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘Cotic appreciation thread, post them pics up!!’ is closed to new replies.