Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Costom VW Transporter
  • roughneck
    Free Member

Going to get rid of the car get a Transporter Kombi/Van and I need some one to customize it. What size engine, BHP is best. I’m looking at about16K all done. Should I get a van and turn it into a Kombi or just get a kombi to start with.
    Where in Yorkshire is there?

tobymc

Brickyard.

roughneck
    Free Member

Any body got any Pic’s

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I can offer a bit of help. I’ve just ordered a Carvelle and test drove the 140 and 180 HP engines with both manual and DSG boxes. The difference in the engines isn’t that great to be honest (and you could always chip a 140). I’m a recent convert to autos though and did prefer the DSG, but the manual was great. On the whole though I very surprised how good it was to drive, better than my current XC90. I went 180 DSG in the end, but only because for me it was cheaper 🙂 , but I would have been very happy with a 140 manual.

steveh

How do you define best in engine terms? MPG, Power, reliability etc. Give some more information and I’ll make a suggestion (having owned 2 t5’s and driven all the engine variants reasonably extensively).

If you want a bog standard kombi with removable seats and aren’t fussed about beds etc then a genuine factory one might be the way to go, if you want something different on the interior then a panel van will give you a lower cost option. Exploria are in west yorks and have a very good reputation but aren’t the cheapest.

Blower
    Free Member

my 2.5 eats fuel like **** round these parts,
    gonna get rid of it.

roughneck
    Free Member

any one used swiss van

robob
    Free Member

if you’re looking at 16k then you’re looking at the T5, not T5.1 so johnikgriffs info can be dicounted as these are the later engines from ’10 onwards.

your engine options are 1.9tdi either 88 or 104bhp and 2.5tdi 130 or 174bhp. both are generally good units but both have their issues. 2.5 would be expected to use more diesel but combined with the 6th gear and not having to drive it as hard as the 1.9 (especially if converted to a camper) they tend to work out similiar. the 174 i drove felt like overkill and the temptation to boot it affects fuel as well(!) so i went for the 130.

as mentioned if you just want a standard kombi to stay as a kombi then it’s nice to buy a factory one, although these are rare, sought after and carry a premium over the panel van and (better spec) caravelle. if you are looking to convert it into a camper then i would go for a panel van.

after you have decided on panel/kombi/caravelle and engine 1.9/2.5 bhp 88/104/130/174 there is one last thing to watch for, the gross vehicle weight. options are t26 / t28 /t30 /t32 and it doesn’t really matter which you go for unless your towing something really big. but watch out for the t32, it has slightly harsher rear sus and a lower 1st gear (not issues) but also attracts a class7 mot which is more expensive and has to go to a class7 mot station.

t-p26
    Free Member

The word “Customize” can mean several things. I put a window in the sliding door, had rear glass tinted, put a bed/seat(no seatbelts so still only 2 seater) in the back of my Transporter. I changed the wheels, have had the ECU looked at and am pondering over an awning.
    What would you be doing? If you look on e-bay there are businesses who can carry out various bits of work and being located where you are they may be nearby.

Earlier this year

I picked this panel van up and have carried out work well within your budget..

thomthumb
    Free Member

Should I get a van and turn it into a Kombi or just get a kombi to start with.

kombis are more difficult to find and expensive. depending on your needs too there are many more flexible options available.

was looking at a lovely van that action van had done last night. unwin rails on the floor meant that it was 2+2 as standard but the seats could be moved about and a further 3 seats added. 2-3-2.

get your self on one of the van forums

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/

get along to a couple of converters/ meets/ shows and work out what you want/ need.

I wish i had looked at more vans before starting my conversion!! oh well.

for engines (t5s) there are 2 sizes 1.9 & 2.5 each comes in 2 bhps.

the 84 is only a remaap away from beconming a 110. the 130 needs physical work to become a 174.

mine is a 84 and it is a little under powered compared to my last car.

also i’m thinking about uprating the suspension as it is quite a high ride.

feel free to email me any specific questions about transporters…

squealer
    Free Member

2.5 is better for a lot of motorway driving etc as it’s less strained at 80+ etc.
    There’s little or no difference in the kombi and van in terms of luxuries (insulation etc) unless it;s been specified with factory extras but you will pay a lot more for a kombi so it’s cheaper to buy a van and whack a couple of windows in.
    here’s a couple of piccies of mine which started off as a panel van.

all in, including van and conversion it’s come in under your budget whereas to buy a kombi it wouldnt have been possible.

roughneck
    Free Member

How much (about) to convert a van to a kombi, some good wheels, lowered, leather seats/ new interior and some sort of body kit?

roughneck
    Free Member

That looks great squealer, just what I want. Was thinking of just seats in the back so I could get the bikes in but I don’t know now.

sc-xc

That van is lovely squealer. But someone has bricked up your back window.

ART

Not near you as based in the southwest (nr Bath), but my other half makes rock n roll beds for T5 conversions. He does some work with these guys http://www.t5transformer.com/ Their website isn’t going to win prizes but the conversions are quality and look like squealer’s when done. Can drop you more details to your email in profile if you want to know more. 🙂

roughneck
    Free Member

drop away.
    Squealer how much did your van cost to do up?

boxelder

……..more than you’ve budgeted. The back seat will have benen £1,500 +. Nice though. I got mine done at van bodies in Morecambe. Rob does a spot of mountainbiking and is a great fella to deal with.

squealer
    Free Member

thanks for the comments, it does get a lot of looks. sorry for the delay in replying, just been and done a couple of laps of cwmcarn, summer rocks 🙂

I havent actually added up the total cost of doing the van but i reckon excluding the seat (as mentioned above it’s probably one of the most expensive there is but i needed it as it’s crash tested) the conversion cost approx £4k. sounds expensive BUT bear in mind my van had no floor, no roof, no windows etc – it was just a standard builders van so it’s a full conversion including everything in the pics (fridge, cooker sink, full electrics inside, 2 x swiveling front seats, all the carpeting, insulation, window fitting and a whole load of little bits i wanted.

The cost above doesnt include the exterior bits (wheels, lowering, side bars) – they came with the van when i bought it.

Best bet it go to a bca auction to buy a base van (nice and cheap) then either convert it yourself or find someone who does it as a business but be careful, there’s a massive difference in the price you pay! try http://www.gee-wagen.co.uk – they did mine and have good prices and are also open to negotiating for payment in a way the tax man wont see.

Dont bother with storing bikes inside, if you put seats in the back it’s not too pleasant for people to sit by dirty wet bikes plus they’ll make a mess of your nicely converted van. I got this:

carries 4 bikes easily, locks them on and is so easy to use. e-mail me if you need more info on anything, having converted 3 vans, i’ve got a lot of helpful hints!

Shandy
    Free Member

You might like to edit that post squealer you could get somebody in trouble…

squealer
    Free Member

hmmm yes good point – didnt think of that.

it appears i’m too late to edit my post now so looks like i cant do a lot about it now. 🙁

chojin
    Free Member

I want squealer’s van.

🙁

chojin
    Free Member

In fact, dibs when you come to sell it :]

roughneck
    Free Member

it’s a mine field!

goldenballs
    Free Member

Jesus Mike, you can’t get a silver one we will look like extras from some DIY programme off the tele. What’s costom anyway? My windows arrived today, barn doors, sliding passenger door and fixed drivers. Pick it up week on Weds!!!!

oxym0r0n

As said before, depends what you mean by ‘custom’.

Here’s mine:

T5 by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

As already mentioned panel vans are much cheaper and more widely available than factory combi’s.
    1.9 84ps – I get about 38mpg on the motorway – I might get it chipped to 110ps at some point but still get surprised how it pulls in 3rd and 4th.

I just have seats then ply lined/insulated in the back – I have camped with a double air bed, portable cooker & 12v cool box ~ means it’s a great family vehicle for the twins, scratch camper and bike carrier…

T4 Forum is a good place to start for help/hints/tips/photos but it’s a bit slower moving than this place 😉

roughneck
    Free Member

I think the Audi lights are a must!
    goldenballs, mail me how much its costing?

roughneck
    Free Member

how do I see more pic oxym0r0n

goldenballs
    Free Member

Roughneck my boy. The windows were £462 boxed and delivered from kiravans. Well decent bloke on the phone. Very helpful. Great advice and sound price . Delivered next day. Leaving it a week as away in France bank holiday weekend and getting 6 months tax so would have wasted a month. Been away at field centre with kids this week so thought it best to have all done at once. Off to have a peek tomorrow will take a few pics mate.

goldenballs
    Free Member

By the way those audi lights look mint oxym0r0n!! mmm I wonder!!! Stop it, it’s the wheels next. Thats another bloody huge mine field. 😯

roughneck
    Free Member

What about seats Andy?

oxym0r0n

Great seats from a Fiat Scudo – fold down, tip up and easily removable (if you want 3 in the back).

Wheels? What about lowering, front splitter, colour coding etc. etc.

More pic:

T5_front_edit by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

goldenballs
    Free Member

The colour coding is being done now. Windows in next week then more forum posts and questions??????? With regards to lowering how far have you gone Oxym0r0n and what size wheels. Think 40mm will be my limit. Did you get the full chrome grill or the snap ons? Sorry if thats a daft question. Going to MTB World Cup tomorrow in Dalby Forest, the place is already awash with mint team vans etc. Camera at the ready for ideas I think!! Roughneck gonna check these scudo seats out.

spyke85
    Free Member

Need to get mine colour coded! Then will be mega happy with it. Bought as a empty Transporter, now a full blown camper!

roughneck
    Free Member

pic’s spyke please.

oxym0r0n

Lowering – about 80mm on 20″ new-style stormers with wobble bolts. Sorry – not clear from the picture – the grill is a genuine caravelle one, so colour coded rather than chromed (the only chrome bit is around the edge).

Hope that helps?

roughneck
    Free Member

How did the world Cup go Andy?

goldenballs
    Free Member

Have emailed you mate. Dally looked great again.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Take a look at http://www.dubcraft.co.uk/
    I have seen several of Phil’s creations and they are awesome!!

Drac

Nice van TP-26 that’ll make a good roadie support van.

goldenballs
    Free Member

Windows in mike. Looks mint. The wheels must be done soon. It’s mad how they stick out and look so out of place once you start tinkering. Hope to start insulating on return from eurodisney. How you getting on mate? Any luck yet? Anyone any ideas on ideal wheel size for 1.9 Swb or as I am sure is the answer it’s down to personal preference. If I go with 17″ will it definitely need lowering?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Costom VW Transporter’ is closed to new replies.