Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cost of re-opening a previously blocked up doorway
  • whatgoesup

Our house has an extension, and when this was built the original back door of the house was bricked up (I assume breeze block) and this forms part of what is now the wall between the kitchen and top of the living room/dining area.

Long-term I want to knock this through completely, but as an interim it would be great to re-open this doorway. It should be non-structural as it was a doorway originally – assuming no lintels etc have been removed. I assume the floors on either side are more or less the same height.

I’m short on time so may get it done rather than have a rough hole in the house for weeks as I get around to sorting it out.

Any ideas of cost to get someone in to do this – knock it through and make good? I’m halfway between Rugby and Northampton by the way…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

How much does a decent sledgehammer cost? 😉

wwaswas

one q: None of the weight of the extension is on the wall that this door is in is it? Any load calculations may have been done assuming it was a solid wall and the previous lintel may not cope with the extra.

Pieface

Less than £100 assuming no problems

whatgoesup

Thanks all.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at – that was my initial though re this, this is just an option to avoid the job dragging on for weeks until I get the time to finish it off.

waswaswas – Good point, one I’d not considered. The extension first floor joists are supported by this wall, as is the first floor ceiling and a portion of the roof.
    Probably not large loadings but still as you say it’s an increase so thinking it through this possibly DOES need building control signoff.

Pieface – Thanks, it’s good to put some numbers on it.

Pieface

I’m not a tradesman, thats the price I’d expect to / be prepared to pay based on other work I’ve had done.

wwaswas

budget for a small skip/grab bag thing – if it’s a reasonably large openign you’d be amazed how much rubble you’ll end up with.

I’d be amazed if it came in under £100. It’s a days work for someone, easily, by the time they cut through, clean up, board the opening, put the metal edge on and plaster it. You’re likely to need some sort of cavity closer/insulation in the cavity if it’s opened out too.

And that’s all assuming you don’t want a door and frame in the hole.

sobriety
    Free Member

Make the hole youself one evening, get someone in to make good the next day.

’tis what I’d do at least.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Try £400. Get a couple of quotes in to open, sort the edges, tidy, remove waste and re-frame, and let us know what they say if you utter £100 to them!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cost of re-opening a previously blocked up doorway’ is closed to new replies.