Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Corrieyairack Pass again
  • cinnamon_girl

Apologies for asking again but I still need to get this adventurette out of my system!

So … I have a 140mm full suss … would it be overkill?

As always, thanks. 🙂

irc

I think so. I did it a few years ago on a Spesh Hardrock Hardtail with 1 pannier and a rucac. No problems bar bouldery bits at the zig zags on the E side.

And I read some where the path has recently been renovated.

Murr
    Free Member

no problem on a hardtail it’s just one long climb a bit bumpy on descent then smooth tar out to garva bridge .

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Who cares if its overkill. So long as its not too heavy to get it up the hill.

mt
    Free Member

Any tough bike will do. It’s a great trip over. I prefer east to west myself. That tough technical climb up followed a downhill that ends at a brilliant pie shop in Ft Augustus. Well earned and totally ace.

epicyclo

I’ve done it on a SS road bike when I was younger, more recently on a SS hardtail mtb, so maybe a 140mm full sus is overkill, but probably nice and comfortable too.

It is perfectly manageable on a singlespeed rigid hardtail from Laggan if you don’t mind walking up the zigzags – that’s not a long way to push.

I was thinking of having another go before winter’s out.

The weather can be unpredictable – be prepared for the worst (eg an overnight bivvy) and it won’t be a problem.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the east end is significantly higher than the west

At the west you are only 150 ft or so above sea level, you hit the tarmac at over 1100 ft at the east and the main road at 800 ft

My understanding is the zig zags have been repaired after being ruined by water and 4x4s

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a look at the pics cinnamon girl

Zig-zags on the Corrieyairack

Vader
    Free Member

over the years i’ve done it on ever increasing travel bikes and the last fort augustus – laggan – fort augustus double header was by far the best on my 140mm five spot. If your doing it one way the descent into FA is imo better than the descent to Laggan. I’ve not done it in the dark but I imagine the speeds and sensation attained would be akin to attacking the death star with similar consequences for pilot error.

As epicyclo points out, the weather can be a bit tasty as the high point is almost at 800m.

Vader
    Free Member

My last ride over was in the summer last year, july I think. No evidence of zig zag repair then although there has been extensive work on the FA side.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Vader – If you look at that geograph pic you can see the diggers working on the zigzags

I walked it a few years ago and they were just a tumbled mass of stone in parts

Vader
    Free Member

I think it may just have been remedial repair though TJ, rather than a proper renovation. The pic says taken in 2009 although that could be unreliable. Last summer it was still rough as but with some chunky drainage ditches, I guess it changes all the time with water erosion though – the bottom run out was a deep bouldery ravine

martinxyz
    Free Member

It’s about 40 mins from here so i thought i would drive down the loch and start at Fort Augustus.

I only planned to go to the top and come back the same way but wow.. what a boring ride. I remember a nice area where i crossed a bridge and a bit of scenery behind me (over loch Ness) near the start of the ride but i don’t think i will ever drive down again. Theres far nicer/better rides on both sides of loch Ness without going all the way down and starting the ride of doom.

Honestly, i cant remember any other ride in my biking years that bored me like this one. I was yawning and thinking about turning back half way to the top.

matt_outandabout

Noooooo. Corrieyarrick is an ace fun ride – as you say maybe not amazing quality of riding, but for sense of place, for epic-ness and as part of a big trip it is great. 🙂
    These pics sum it up..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ace ride. Did it rigid back in the 80s, much happier on my Heckler last time.

martinxyz
    Free Member

The third and fourth pic says it all ;O)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I did it about 4 years ago on a Scott Ransom 6″ bike. It was actually quite easy, but also very enjoyable due to the remote feel.

Did it in early April so had lots of gear inc emergency bivvy bag etc, as weather can be unpredictable.

We rode the whole route in short sleeves as it was warm and sunny all the way, bar for a cool breeze when we stopped for food.

You could probably do it on a crosser with no real problems, but I only had the 1 bike, and it wasn’t a hindrance.

druidh
    Free Member

I did it last Autumn on my Ti hardtail with 100mm forks, rack and panniers. It’s certainly a big climb from FA and there is little shelter. I managed the descent OK, so I can’t say it was very rough. There was a lot of path repair going on, including smoothing/protecting the old road surface near Meal Garbh.

I’m sure that there are “better” routes around, but it retains some magic on account of its heritage.

I’d be up for a repeat visit.

cinnamon_girl

Great, lots of replies. Thanks! A year or so ago I was feeling that my lightweight 100mm hardtail was not the ideal bike. My full suss is brilliant on descents but due to health issues I really struggle with the climbs.

Those pics are just amazing, apart from that halfwit obviously. 😉 Shame on you!

More pondering to be done.

billyboy
    Free Member

I did it on a 63mm travel Kona hardtail about ten years ago.

I think a 140mm travel full sus would be loads better.

Go for it

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ok on a H/T for me way back…

And from the top,

& no-one pushed! 😉

matt_outandabout

& no-one pushed!

martinxyz
    Free Member

lol

epicyclo

cinnamon_girl – Member
    …Those pics are just amazing, apart from that halfwit obviously…

I don’t think he looks at the scenery when he’s riding 🙂

Scenery and heritage are why to ride the Corrieyairack, plus it can get very “interesting” depending on the weather.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

LOL @ Matt (are you a Pink Floyd Fan?)
    Well it was a canny old slog but if someone wants to walk it..so what?
    Just enquiring like!

Why the flying pig?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Corrieyairack Pass again’ is closed to new replies.