Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Corporal punishment in schools
  • easygirl

Just watching the one show and it’s discussing corporal punishment in schools
    Showing a leather strap widely used in Scottish schools in the 70 s
    Is this a good thing, or outdated violence?
    My kids are grown up now, but I think I would agree with it if it were in schools now

I’m glad I grew up in England if Scottish schools used a leather strap on as punishment. 😯

derek_starship
    Free Member

It was abolished in England the year after I left secondary school. Things started to go downhill from then.
    I was caned and slippered. I soon learnt what would and wouldn’t be tolerated. Bring it back asap.

allthepies
    Free Member

We had the slipper and cane at my comprehensive. I was a swot of course and never saw the business end of either 🙂

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i’m 37 and had the strap and the cane as a 9 year old. The pain was unreal and a massive deterrent to getting into bother again. We feared our teachers and when I went home and said I’d been strapped or caned I’d get grounded after a smack on the arse of my mother for being naughty enough to have needed corporal punishment.

My dad left when I was two (had step father but wasn’t very interactive to say the least) but I think what Cameron has been bleating on about today about absent dads is utter bollocks.

Mugboo

They banned it a year before I finished school.

In all my years I only got spanked once in the first school. My best mate got the pump once at the Middle school and the ruler on the hand in upper school. I just knew when to make myself scarce!

Honestly it made life simpler.

We had old school teachers who we were frightened of but we worked hard for and new school fools who were touchy feely and got nowt but grief…

I think banning it was probably a knee jerk reaction to some of the sadistic old nuns!

My greatest teacher let us filter in to his classroom, settle in, get comfy then start to chat. Once the noise had grown he punched the post in the centre of the room and the classroom shook. In our next lesson he kicked the desk into a lads guts for talking.
    That was that, the line was drawn and he never had to raise his voice again!! Plus he always gave us 5 mins at the end to chat about footy and stuff.

Bring it back 🙂

stuey
    Free Member

imho corporal punishment would just cause violent escalations in the class room.

Many ‘modern citizens’ have no respect (or fear) of authority.

vinnyeh

dp

vinnyeh

Is this a good thing, or outdated violence?
    My kids are grown up now, but I think I would agree with it if it were in schools now

I was caned for walking across the 1st XI’s cricket pitch. 1977. Two strokes from a fat greasy PE teacher.

I’m not sure that it should be left up to one person to be witness, judge, jury and executioner.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I was caned and slippered. I soon learnt what would and wouldn’t be tolerated.

I wasn’t. I also learnt what would and wouldn’t be tolerated. I don’t think corporal punishment is necessarily required, just discipline and some firm boundaries. TBH, this really needs to happen in the home first.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

i would side with outdated violence. It just demonstrates that the society that your supposed to be growing up to join cannot solve it’s issues with resorting to violence a very poor lesson to teach children.

I was caned at school a couple of times and I don’t think it had any affect on my future behaviour and is therefore a pointless deterrent. When your up to no good who actually thinks they are going to get caught?

Once a couple of us were caned and then almost immediately afterwards brought on stage during assembly for the whole school to hear what we had done and how we had been punished. Instant hero status was bestowed upon us. I don’t think that was the outcome the head teacher was looking for.

HermanShake
    Free Member

We all remember teachers with overbearing egos and power complexes. The sort of people who would want to hit kids to discipline them are probably the one’s least appropriate to do so.

I personally disagree with violence except in the extreme (self defence/defence of another, but not to do more than disarm the situation).

Those who seek power etc etc.

Teaching young people to equate violence with justice is far from the ideals we need to be promoting. I’m sure plenty of people disagree and that’s fine.

Also consider bias, if teachers form a dislike of a pupil then they can construe behaviour negatively. Studies have shown certain minority groups behaviour to be assumed to be worse than it is as we stereotype (yes all of us, look it up) but have the capacity to rationalise (but not all of us do, this is the crux). I do not feel it is wise to invite this additional level of control into an environment for learning.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I think it should be brought back. I only recieved one punishment from my N.Irish form teacher, that was a crack across the knuckles with the thin edge of a metre long wooden rule, ouch. It worked though.

I saw hardly any pupils kicking off to teachers as the punishment would be severe. We had size 12 plimsolls used , canes , rulers or even a clip round the ear. Really do beleive things went sour in schools once it disappeared.

uplink
    Free Member

I got got either the cane or slipper and even a hockey shoe and a blackboard rubber at times, and the ruler 🙂

It was pretty much on a weekly basis for one thing or another, if the teachers somehow missed me out there was always a big leather belt from my dad to look forward to
    I did tend to push the limits somewhat 🙂

Looking at the size of some 15 & 16 year olds now, I don’t think I’d fancy being a teacher and trying to lay down that sort of law any more

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

well if a teacher was to hit my child they would spend the rest of ther lives wishing id killed them. it would be a baseball bat to every joint in ther body…the rest of ther life would be spent in pain!

Spin
    Free Member

All of you saying bring it back, would you be happy administering physical violence to a child? If so then I hope you don’t have any yourselves.

Come back to the real world. You might find it has changed in the 30 years you’ve been away.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Utter bollox!!! No one should be hitting children with shit like that!!!! Bring them up correctly and a look should be enough, a tap on the arse is when things get serious and in nine yrs I reckon it’s happened a handful of times here!! I will never ever forget in primary school when the lad who was a yr above me lost the plot with the head, told her to **** off. This was in a school of 35 pupils total, he ran off, I didn’t even know what the word meant, he returned two days later and showed me the damage his dad had done to him!! Farmer he was and horse whip was the answer, it scarred him but also scarred me seeing what his “dad” had done to him!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I got as fair few shkelps in school – mostly for being a smartarse and generally being a shithead. I wouldn’t say I “deserved” them, but I wouldn’t say I felt wrongly done after them.

However, I saw some guys in my school get walloped by teachers just for “not getting it” and being a bit thick (not that we’d say that these days). There are two guys in particular I remember getting the shit beaten out of them by Brother Finnegan in science – they weren’t the sharpest tools in the box – I think it was that day that I knew beating a kid in school was just wrong and I wonder how those two guys feel about corporate punishment today?

I’m sure most here would join me in saying that the best teachers they ever had never had to lift a finger, let alone raise their voices.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’m sure most here would join me in saying that the best teachers they ever had never had to lift a finger, let alone raise their voices.

One of the best teachers I ever had use to throw the chalk duster at you.

Spin
    Free Member

I remember getting the shit beaten out of them by Brother Finnegan in science

Wow! Beaten by a priest for not being up to speed in science. There’s a moral in there somewhere.

Bunnyhop

well if a teacher was to hit my child they would spend the rest of ther lives wishing id killed them.

That’s a bit stong. A good teacher would have had a reason to use punishment, it wasn’t just dished out willy nilly.

Our teacher had a ruler in primary school. It was rarely used, but knowing it was there kept us all in check.
    I know of teachers who couldn’t teach in later years, due to the unruliness of their class. More time was spent trying to keep the ‘naughty ones’ undercontrol.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One of the best teachers I ever had use to throw the chalk duster at you.

Yeah, yeah. 🙂 I said “most”.

Beaten by a priest

No, not a priest, a Christian Brother…an order that specifically educated the male half of an impoverished country that didn’t have money to spend on an education. But, hey, don’t let that get in the way of you making a glib comment.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Stupid debate, never going to happen, teachers unions would lose any remaining respect they had for the govt if they tried to make it happen. Parents would keep kids out of schools who wanted to use it. Imagine the election posters with Cameron beating kids…

donsimon
    Free Member

well if a teacher was to hit my child they would spend the rest of ther lives wishing id killed them. it would be a baseball bat to every joint in ther body…the rest of ther life would be spent in pain!

And this is the beginning of the downward spiral.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Imagine the election posters with Cameron beating kids…

Surely there’s a photoshop genius in here somewhere this evening…?

But otherwise:

Stupid debate, never going to happen

This.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Perhaps just perhaps the old ways were the best

I was a bit wayward at school but the cane stopped that at one school I went to and the threat of that was enough for me lesson learnt.

Did I enjoy corpral punnishment no i did not[/u]
    Did it work yes it did

Would I agree with bringing it back yes I would,

Alas Dr Spock in the late 50’s was wrong, and look what we have now a ferral society

CaptJon
    Free Member

On the evidence of this thread people who were subject to corporal punishment at school want kids to be subject to physical violence. So violence breads violence. But that is faulty logic, just like the idea caning is the only way posters’ behaviour would have been altered.

Places which allow corporal punishment in school:

South Korea
    Singapore
    Pakistan
    Malaysia
    Egypt
    the Southern states in the US

The latter should tell you everything you need to know – tea party voting, country music enjoying, nascar watching rednecks think it is a good idea…

chvck
    Free Member

If you’re being a bit loud/a bit of a nob down the pub and the barman/bouncer takes offence is it OK for them to give you a bit of smack about before sending you home?

yossarian
    Free Member

That’s a bit stong. A good teacher would have had a reason to use punishment, it wasn’t just dished out willy nilly.
    Our teacher had a ruler in primary school. It was rarely used, but knowing it was there kept us all in check.
    I know of teachers who couldn’t teach in later years, due to the unruliness of their class. More time was spent trying to keep the ‘naughty ones’ undercontrol.

So how come the primary school my lad goes to does not use violence and has few if any problems with disruptive children? violence against children is abhorrent and utterly unacceptable. I’ll not even go into the consequences of one of my lads being hurt by an adult that is there to educate them.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you’re being a bit loud/a bit of a nob down the pub and the barman/bouncer takes offence is it OK for them to give you a bit of smack about before sending you home?

Not quite the same thing, even though it does/did happen.

So violence breads violence.

A bit of an over simplification, no?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Actually, no.

donsimon
    Free Member

So how come the primary school my lad goes to does not use violence and has few if any problems with disruptive children?

A better class of parent that doesn’t need the teacher to teach the basic social skills?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

jumpupanddown – Member

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

They wouldn’t spend their lives wishing you had killed them because you would be in prison for a long period.
    Why not think about it, naughty kids (to the extent where they deserve a slipper etc in “old money”) are the result of shite parenting.

seosamh77
    Free Member

When was the belt banned? I just googled out of curiousity and it came up with 1986, surely that’s wrong, as i think i started primary in 1982 and there was never any belt in my schools…not that i remember anyway..

Mind you my mum would give us a skelp, but the threat of talking to from my da was always worse if you ask me..

donsimon
    Free Member

Actually, no.

Only if it’s accepted that people are too stupid to learn.

johnners
    Free Member

Wow. You created an account just to post blowhard drivel like that?

CaptJon
    Free Member

So violence breads violence

don simon – Member

Did you read my next sentence?

nedrapier

So violence breads violence.

I prefer it battered.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Couldn’t they use tazers instead? They always say a short sharp shock works 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Did you read my next sentence?

Yes, but bad syntax confused me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Corporal punishment in schools’ is closed to new replies.