Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Core exercises for lower back
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    What are people doing? Got a bit of back pain and wondering what the best exercises are for the lower back.
    Thanx,
    Max

trailhound
    Free Member

I use a foam roller, £10 frm amazon and loads of workouts on you tube. Works 4 me

zilog6128

Are you looking to strengthen the muscles or relax them? If the former then deadlift and back raise. If the latter then foam roller, stretches and massage. Trying to maintain good posture when standing/walking/sitting is key too IMO

fd3chris
    Free Member

And a cheap pilates dvd and teach yourself.

glupton1976
    Free Member

The solution to your problem depends entirely on what your problem is. You may need exercises, but exercises may be the last thing you need.

nickhart
    Free Member

pilates plus looking at the life you lead. i worked in an office sat on my fat a*se all day and suffered terribly. get this one.

funkrodent

Slipped a disc a few years back, so been through the whole gamut. Depends if you want to stretch or strengthen. If it’s the former then as follows:
    – lie flat on back on relatively hard surface (living room carpet). Pull knees up toward chest, pretty much as far as you can, with bent legs. Put hands on knees and, whilst exhaling slowly, pull knees gently in towards chest. At the same time raise chest very slightly off floor. Hold position for 10-20 seconds. Whole manoeuvre should be done slowly and smoothly. You should feel stretch across whole of lower back. Repeat 3-4 times. For a variant lie flat on back and cross one leg over the other. Stretch it whilst making sure torso doesn’t move. Hold and repeat.
    – Get on all fours. Drop head between arms so looking backwards and gently arch your back until fully extended. Hold and repeat. For a variation from all fours position extend each leg behind you so running level with your back. Push it out and hold.
    – Finally, stretch your upper legs as they’re connected to your back. If they’re stiff they’ll be pulling your back out of kilter.
    To strengthen lie on stomach with hands on either side, fingers touching your temples, feet on floor on toes. Slowly raise head and upper chest off floor, whilst ensuring thAt toes neverleave the ground. Hold for count of 10 and repeat 10 times.
    Hope that helps!

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thanx guys that’s a help! Get it occasionally usually when lifting stuff awkwardly at work.The strengthening excercise sounds good as got a hardtail coming in the next few weeks!

brooess
    Free Member

The solution to your problem depends entirely on what your problem is. You may need exercises, but exercises may be the last thing you need.

This. You don’t want to be self-diagnosing from t’interweb on something as complex and vital as your back.

Get thee to a GP or physio, get a proper diagnosis from someone who’s actually got to check you out and see what they recommend.

My experience is core strength makes a massive difference to cycling – strength, speed, ability to move around the bike

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Back pain could be any number of things, however it’s your stomach muscles that support your back so at least start there.

Do you sit down a lot of the day. This is also a very common cause of lower back pain at which point stretching your back will help to relieve back ache.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    I manage a bike shop,so do a bit of running around and am always on my feet! Go through periods of pain and then dissapears for a few months.Doesn’t stop me doing anything but will see a gp if it gets worst.
    Thanx again,
    Max

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Core exercises for lower back’ is closed to new replies.