Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Copyright law advice
  • Cletus

Hi,

I attended an IT training course a couple of months ago. The student kit comprised several ring bound manuals.

A work colleague (who I do not particularly get on with) has been pestering me to make photocopies of the notes.

I believe that this would break the copyright laws and would leave me open to potential disciplinary action (my company has a strict code of ethics).

Can anyone advise me of the relevant legalities and hopefully point me at a website that explains things in laymans terms.

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

You have read the code of ethics?

druidh
    Free Member

The manual will surely have some Copyright information included?

Cougar

I believe that this would break the copyright laws and would leave me open to potential disciplinary action (my company has a strict code of ethics).

Ask HR? If they say no you can tell him to jog on, if they say yes he doesn’t need to know that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Leave the notes on your desk and tell him that if he makes copies then it’s his responsibility.

john_drummer
    Free Member

what m_f said. But you do run the risk of him “borrowing” them to copy & never seeing them again…

CountZero

Have you thought of gently suggesting that if he wants the notes that badly, then the best way to get them would be to do the course. That way he might get a greater understanding of the work the notes are for.
    It’s what I’d do, but then I can be an asshole like that, when the circumstances allow. 😈

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ask him to email you the request, that normality shuts them up.

hels
    Free Member

The producer of the course owns the copyright on the manual, unless stated otherwise.

It is OK to copy pages and even a chapter for personal use, but not the whole thing.

I suggest you go Old Skool on it, and draw pictures of knobs all over the notes, and write “Colleague A is a Retard” all over them. That will show him.

redthunder
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Leave the notes on your desk and tell him that if he makes copies then it’s his responsibility.

+1

coffeeking
    Free Member

It is OK to copy pages and even a chapter for personal use, but not the whole thing.

But if it’s within a business situation and he’s borrowing it to improve his business abilities it’s not possible. The reason the copyright exemption for a small amount of material is “OK” is for education, not for people to avoid course costs, AFAIK.

peterfile
    Free Member

Belt and braces = don’t copy it

Reality = are you expecting a visit from SOCA?

hjghg5
    Free Member

Old thread revival alert, but just as a PSA – the information in that link is bollocks.

“But still one has to register his work properly to the copyright office for getting full proof rights on the original work crafted”

Absolutely untrue. There is no official copyright office in the UK for a start and no offical copyright registration process. It arises automatically.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Copyright law advice’ is closed to new replies.