Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • coping saw or fret saw?
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

what would be the best to cut shapes out of MDF / ply wood – i’m thinking things like some words / letters or animal shapes for our little one…. (is MDF ok to use for this? need to look that up!)

I’m thinking coping saw maybe as the ones i saw let you rotate the blade in the saw so might be easier, although fret saw looks like a finer blade.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dremmel with the tile cutter attachment? Don’t use MDF, it’s toxic isn’t it? And the little one will chew on it.

wwaswas

Use ply not mdf.

mdf is too ‘crumbly’ and contains arsenic (or is it cyanide? Anyway soemthign you dont; want your kids chewing on).

either should be fine, tbh. you can always cut a short section and then remove the excess wood to get access to the next bit.

lakesrider
    Free Member

ply it is then – i was vaguely remebering something about mdf dust being toxic as i typed the post.

Did think of a dremel type thing but a bit too expensive, and i fancy doing it by hand.

freeagent
    Free Member

MDF used to stuck together with formaldahyde, but this changed years ago, there are no toxins used in its manufacture now – however the dust created when working it is superfine and can be harmful if you repeatedly breathe it in.

For kids toys you want to use Finish birch ply, is has very fine layers and is very nice to work with (doesn’t splinter) and safe for kids to eat!

hope this helps –

chickenman

A Coping saw cuts on the downstroke (teeth pointing down) and is used by joiners to do scribes on skirtings etc. A fret saw cuts on the pull stroke (working at eyelevel) and is what you are looking for. Both use the same blades, but the fret saw has a deeper throat (!?!) so you can make cuts further in from the board edge.

project
    Free Member

As i used to make kids jigsaws for a living, a very poor one, we always used 6mm birch ply, easily cut etc, and i also have a solidy made scroll saw for sale, cast iron table, 18 or 22 inch throat, and a selection of blades, it will and did cut 4 pieces of ply together.

I will even demonstrate it, and show you how to make jigasaws if your local to the wirral/chester, £100.00

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘coping saw or fret saw?’ is closed to new replies.