Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cooking with chillies.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m slow-cookering some bacon-based stew. I want it to be a bit spicy and there are several chillies here. If I chop them up it’ll become fiery, no good this time. Should I then just chuck’em in?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Top Tip when cooking with chillies…

Don’t go for a piss anytime after you’ve been handling them..

It ****’ wrecks.

For a good while… 😐

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have a wife, she should be able to handle it 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of the capsaicin is in the skin, veins and seeds. So if you remove those (ok so it’s hard to remove the skin) then it’ll still taste of chilli but be much more manageable.

Removing them without getting juice all over your hands is very hard tho so wear some gloves or something!

DEFINITELY do not go near your wife’s interesting bits after chopping chillis unprotected..

j_me
    Free Member

so wear some gloves or something

Bit of olive oil on your fingers, the capsicum is fat soluable, then wash with soap and water.

I would bung them in whole if you’re slow cooking

Hairychested
    Free Member

The “it” was related to peeing, you silly molgrips 😉 I don’t chop much as I cry whilst she wears contacts and never sheds a tear, even when chopping loads of onions. The question was do I chop or chuck whole chillies, so I’ll go with j_me’s answer.
    BTW How familiar are you with my wife to know she has interesting bits, huh? 👿

chvck
    Free Member

Blend them into the stock, that’ll give a fair bit of kick!

Hairychested
    Free Member

You see, I want my little one to eat it too, she won’t if it melts the pot. Were it for my devilmother-in-law…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just go for smoked paprika instead?

“chili” is fat soluable as someone up there said, so to make it hot you add the chillis with the meat to the frying pan, that way the chilli is released, just chucking one in the stock wont make much difference.

molgrips
    Free Member

BTW How familiar are you with my wife to know she has interesting bits, huh?

Most if not all women have interesting bits afaik 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

I was given a handful of lovely fresh chillies when the local green grocer closed yesterday.
    Have chucked two in, will report on effects.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

This British nervousness of chilies amuses me. My grandad was a great one: happy to slather mustard that should have been classified as a biological weapon, or horseradish that could strip paint all over his meals, but slip a pinch of cumin into anything and suddenly this was unacceptably hot, resulting in removed shirts, buckets of persperation and not a little foul language.

organic355
    Free Member

I freeze chillies, then use them as I need them, chop them up frozen. the added benefit is that you dont get chilli juice all over your hands and avoid the stingy eyes, nose or testicles later on!

nostoc
    Free Member

Heat oil, add chilli(s) whole, cook a bit, remove chilli(s), add oil to dish.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just throw them in. You can also pierce them with a pin or knife or something if you want it a little hotter.

z1ppy

organic355 – Member
    I freeze chillies, then use them as I need them, chop them up frozen. the added benefit is that you dont get chilli juice all over your hands and avoid the stingy eyes, nose or testicles later on!

I’d beg to differ, as we too freeze our chilli’s (great way to store your fresh ones), I’ve defintle had issues with watering eye due to wiping them with my un-washed chilli fingers, also had the watering eye from handling the kit down below too… you tend to learn pretty quick.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Put your hand in a sandwich bag as you cut them.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I threw them into the slow cooker, 2 hrs later they opened up, the fire came out (but my daughter ate before that happened). I have the whole dish for myself now 😈

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cooking with chillies.’ is closed to new replies.