Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cooking venison haunch.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Going to do this for tonight and wondered how the collective would do it? Going to roast it on the bone and most advice seems to be to do it quickly, approx 20 mins per kg but I’m sure I’ve done it more slowly in the past, basting it regularly.

BillMC

Avoid overdoing it, it can get tough pretty quickly.

LoCo
    Free Member

Stick garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs in it and cook very slowly and until rare.

kcal

oh, shame you asked for tonight as we have a cracking marinade recipe but takes 36 hours to soften up — involved bottles of red wine, bay leaves, rosemary, pepper corns, more red wine.. as above dollops of garlic too..

default Christmas dinner is venison – pref. wild though farmed isn’t bad.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Hugh is always a good bet for game.

cinnamon_girl

Definitely don’t overcook cos it doesn’t need much and leave to ‘rest’.

Only free range will do!

Edit: I once cooked muntjac, jeez it stunk. Even the dog wouldn’t eat it!

mountainman

Roast slowly with cover of foil,basted in good red wine or decent porter ,then strain off remainder of juices n reduce for a sauce.

any leftovers ,chop into chunks with bacon n wild mushroom and make a pie .

DaRC_L

Isn’t it best to hit hit with a high heat roast for about 20 mins then reduce the heat for the remaining cooking time… the key being to let it rest for at least 20mins after roasting?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I never buy venison. It’s too dear. 😀

IGMC 😳

kcal

/goes off to order festive venison/ feeling peckish 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Yes, I used to open roast on the rack at a high temperature.

ninfan
    Free Member

Depends on the venison.

Red, or older and a bit tougher – casserole dish with a cup full of red wine and assorted herbs, then cooked slowly and lots of basting.

Roe or younger beast, much like spring lamb with a shorter, hotter roast.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

sometimes I put the cats venison in the microwave for 6 seconds, which heats it up a little and makes it smell nice. Any more than that and it starts to become solid.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Well tonight I’ve roasted it with a high heat, lots of garlic and butter. The other leg will get a slow roast another time. Will report back later. Now red wine or a Scottish ale?

kcal

either would be fine, tend to have a meaty red (nebbiolo) with ours but that’s cause I love it and its a treat to get the good stuff out 🙂

chunky scottish ale – porter-esqe?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Went with the wine, it was already open as I’d poured some in the bottom of the roasting tin along with some orange juice and blackcurrant jam, makes a lovely gravy.

dashed
    Free Member

c_g – something wrong with that muntjac then! It tastes a touch stronger than other deer but you’d be hard pressed to tell it was muntjac specifically unless you were taste testing it against roe/fallow etc. Freezer is currently well stocked with combination of muntjac and fallow as I shoot quite a few deer…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cooking venison haunch.’ is closed to new replies.