Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Cookerists & chefy types, saffron in…
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Using turmeric instead of saffron is like using a badger when you need a penguin, just cos they’re the same colour means nothing

This. Plus I’m genuinely laughing out loud here so this wins the internet for today.

Drac

Your friend gave you either Tumeric or crap Saffron powder, Saffron is strands and you can pinch strands it’s the measure used more than often. Hope that helps.

maccruiskeen

Using turmeric instead of saffron is like using a badger when you need a penguin, just cos they’re the same colour means nothing

I’ve been to a natural history museum that would make you think otherwise. I think they’ve redisplayed it now, but when I visited the Horniman Museum the had a model of a miniature model of an elephant, a real stuff armadillo and a large replica flea all displayed together in the same case – seemingly because they were all grey and about a foot long.

finishthat
    Free Member

The real thing is great

Ever been to Tumeric Walden ?

In the 16th–17th centuries the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus) was widely grown, thanks to the town’s favourable soil and climate. The flower was valuable, as the extract from the stigmas was used in medicines, as a condiment, in perfume, as an aphrodisiac, and as an expensive yellow dye. The industry gave Walden its name.[2]

Cougar

Like buying oregano when you think it is weed.

Have you been watching Spaced?

chewkw
    Free Member

giantalkali – Member

^^^ This is very funny. Good one. Cheer me up this morning. 😆

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Been using a pinch of strands on tonight’s chicken kebabs

colournoise

Someone’s doing well…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yeah, not to brag but that’s like a million pounds worth right there

Drac

Is that Mediterranean turmeric?

chewkw
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    Been using a pinch of strands on tonight’s chicken kebabs

That’s a lot of saffron for kebabs … 😯

Are those Persian saffron coz I have never seen saffron packed that way.

How much are they? 😛

glasgowdan
    Free Member

That’s Persian saffron as brought over by family members. No idea how much they are…!

chewkw
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    That’s Persian saffron as brought over by family members. No idea how much they are…!

I see. I think I am going to get me mate to buy some next time he goes home. 😛

bruneep

Is that not ginger hair clippings?

chewkw
    Free Member

Saffron from Fortnum & Mason at £15 for 0.2 grams … 😮

Superficial
    Free Member

Tomorrow night’s dinner party guests are going to be disappointed in my “Penguin” a l’Orange, then. It will, at least be orange though thanks to the saffron.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Cookerists & chefy types, saffron in…’ is closed to new replies.