Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Cookerists & chefy types, saffron in…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Paella. Does it make a big difference or would I be wasting money?

The best paella I ever had was made by a mate of mine who lived in Spain who’s no longer around & I’ve no idea if he put saffron in!

slackboy

just use a bit of tumeric instead. It’ll be fine.

kayak23

As far as I can see, saffron is basically just like red string.

Use string. Red string if you must.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Use string. Red string if you must.

I’ve only got green, that garden stuff that you tie plants with, will that do?

Cougar

I never got saffron, given that gram for gram it’s the second most expensive substance on the planet after HP printer ink and it’s sole purpose seems to turn things yellow.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

just use a bit of tumeric instead

This!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

just use a bit of turmeric instead

How much though? A teaspoonful? Dessert spoon? Table spoon, Ladle?

FWIW my pan is 45cm & I’ve only ever used turmeric in curries.

bruneep

I’d use a ladle and a half

P-Jay
    Free Member

Saffron is nice, and you only need a tiny amount – you don’t need to flout internal law by buying black market Persian saffron, it’s usually £2 for a little bag in a jar in Sainsburys

sweaman2
    Free Member

What else are you putting in and in what quantities?

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

You’re just using it for the yellow colour, you don’t want the flavour (turmeric has quite an antiseptic taste) so just enough to add a bit of colour, not so much that everything tastes of tcp

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

it’s usually £2 for a little bag in a jar in Sainsburys

£4.00 in Moribongo’s for 4gms IIR!

What else are you putting in and in what quantities?

This much…

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/paella.html

Drac

It’s a around £2.50 on eBay delivered a gram will last you ages.

Tumeric works but as others have said it flavours the paella.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’m not a chef but I reckon 1/2 tspn of turmeric would be fine instead of saffron for that recipe.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Turmeric is bitter, avoid it in paella. Or use a ladle and a half

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Spanish saffron is very different to the expensive stuff. What you’ll buy in shops here is the cheap stuff. I wouldn’t bother.

I’m lucky enough to have plenty persian family and a tub of the good stuff is their favourite gift. I use it in stews, sometimes rice, and it makes a world of difference.

I’d stick in a bit of turmeric. A family meal size pan I’d probably use half a teaspoon. Just don’t drop food on a nice white table as it can stain!

Cougar

Spanish saffron is very different to the expensive stuff. What you’ll buy in shops here is the cheap stuff.

I’ve read that five times and I still can’t parse it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Talking about paella I recently bought two of those paella pans … the proper carbon steel type. John Lewis stock them too.

Anyhow avoid using turmeric as it will be bitter.

You might as well buy some lower grade saffron.

Go to TK Maxx as they have some cheap saffron from Spain.

giantalkali – Member
    Turmeric is bitter, avoid it in paella.

This ^^^

Or use a ladle and a half

You will be eating bitter paella. 😆

glasgowdan – Member
    Spanish saffron is very different to the expensive stuff.

I think I have to agree with this … lower grade.

Me mate from Persia has the proper stuff as they use them a lot in their cooking … 😛

Edit: I also bought some paella rice, sweet & smoked paprika from TK Maxx. For the rice the best one is from a region in Spain for paella. Apparently paella is very famous in Valencia. 😛

Drac

Persian is around the same price though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Apparently paella is very famous in Valencia.

I think it originates from there, but do they use Spanish saffron, Persian saffron or turmeric? (or none of those)

chewkw
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Apparently paella is very famous in Valencia.

I think it originates from there, but do they use Spanish saffron, Persian saffron or turmeric? (or none of those) [/quote]

That depends on whether they can grow saffron in Spain, while the rest of the ingredients can be grown in Spain …

I cannot remember if white wine is needed in cooking paella coz I just bought a bottle for it … need to check again later.

Plenty of fish, squids, shell fish, meat etc …

For me I shall add a special ingredient to enhance the taste … a bit of MSG … 😆

Drac

That depends on whether they can grow saffron in Spain, while the rest of the ingredients can be grown in Spain …

It’s a crocus it’s grown in various countries.

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

It’s a crocus it’s grown in various countries. [/quote] If that’s the case then I guess they do grow their own. 😛

Me Persian mate is very proud of his saffron … 😛

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

what on earth are you all talking about? Saffron is essential in Paella and tumeric is not a valid substitute !

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 +1 Other than turmeric and saffron both turning things yellow they have nothing else in common .Saffron is an integral part of the dish .

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

what on earth are you all talking about? Saffron is essential in Paella and tumeric is not a valid substitute !

Well I’ve emailed Poolman, he lives in Spain, he’ll know!

In the recipe I’m using it says ‘a large pinch of saffron’. WTF?
    Depends how big your pinches are I suppose.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Why not substitute a ladle of E110? It certainly used to be popular.

http://www.ukfoodguide.net/e110.htm

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Saffron, as said, not expensive and gives an authentic taste.

I love razorclams in there, just need to watch as they’re so easy overcook.

Scapegoat

Point of order. Some Mediterranean countries refer to turmeric as “saffron” hence the term “a pinch”.

chewkw
    Free Member

I can imagine an expensive “pinch” of saffron coz you might end up pinching the entire bottle (normally not much in there). 🙂

Drac

Eh? You can pinch saffron though.

kimbers

obvs only ever had shit saffron, coz quite frankly it does nothing for me!

1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, tesco chicken stock (not the cubes liquid stuff) is more important ime

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Eh? You can pinch saffron though.

Saffron strands … one pinch … £4 please … 😛

Those saffron from Kashmir 50g = £147.90 😛

Drac

What?

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    What?

I meant to say it would be an expensive pinch. 😛

Drac

That depends where you get it from but either way Scapegoat’s post makes no sense.

iamtheresurrection

Too much saffron ruins pretty much anything it goes in, its flavour can easily over-power, but paella without it doesn’t taste like paella…

The fact that it colours the rice is largely irrelevant.

Scapegoat

Drac, I was once given a jar of “saffron” by someone returning from Minorca. It was a yellow powder that looked, smelled and tasted suspiciously like turmeric. The saffron I have used comes in strands, and every recipe I’ve used it in calls for a “strand” not s pinch. That help?

giantalkali
    Free Member

Using turmeric instead of saffron is like using a badger when you need a penguin, just cos they’re the same colour means nothing

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Point of order. Some Mediterranean countries refer to turmeric as “saffron” hence the term “a pinch”

I think you (or your friend) got ripped off. Like buying oregano when you think it is weed. Classic.

There is fake saffron and there is a test, something about kitchen paper and the colour seeping out of it ..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Cookerists & chefy types, saffron in…’ is closed to new replies.