Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • converting to all outer cables on alloy frame??
  • Lofty
    Free Member

i have an alloy frame (genesis core 50) and i’m interested in running full cable outers for durability. i understand i’ll have to do something to make the existing cable guides suit but how difficult is this??

if it is major hassle or the end result isn’t that great i almost certainly won’t bother!!

clubber
    Free Member

Shimano gear cable is thin enough that you can file/drill out cable stops just enough to get the cable outer through but if you decide you prefer clagged up cables you can still use split cable outers with cable ends. Takes less than five mins per stop with a needle file. less if.you have a dremel or similar.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Just cable tie the gear cable to the frame, see if it makes much difference to you before you go getting the files out.

Lionheart
    Free Member

+1 with cable ties idea, you can also get the little neat-ish holder that bolt on to current cable guides and provide new cable guides, put some on my single speed as a temp measure, prob three years ago! Never notice them now so must be OK.

rickmeister

The dremel is your friend…. easy to do and cuts down bad shifting once and for all.

muckytee
    Free Member

I was going to put full outers on my core 40, seamed like a head ache so went for these instead: CRC Middleburn cable oilers

Cut your outer in half and install them, remove the rubber O-ring and give it a spray of GT85 post ride.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have done this with the brake guides on an old Turner (don’t know why they were made that way as the backend is disc only), I found the easyist way was to use drill bits that fit a standard drill/screwdriver & then use one of those flexible shafts, it takes a all the hard work out of the job 😉

Cheers.

Paceman
    Free Member

How do those Middleburn cable oilers work, do they sit in a gap in the middle of each cable outer section?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘converting to all outer cables on alloy frame??’ is closed to new replies.