Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Converting hybrid to SS
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

As the drivetrain on my commuter nears replacing I’m idly thinking of going simpler/cheaper, since I only use about 4 gears of my 27. Would it be possible to convert a bog-standard hybrid frame to SS, what would it take, and could it be switched back? I appreciate it might not be cheaper to make the switch initially.

thepodge
    Free Member
    2tyred

I converted my Kona Dew to ss and used a surly chain tensioner (classifieds), spacers from 2 old cassettes (workshop), an ss chain (LBS) and washers (workshop) in lieu of short chainring bolts.

To switch back to geared, I’d need to put the cassette, 9 speed chain, middle and granny rings and the shifters & cables back on.

To do it at no cost, you can use your rear mech in place of the tensioner and a 9 speed chain will work fine.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I knew it’d have been covered somewhere but couldn’t find it!

The thread thepodge linked to mentioned a new wheel- is this not needed then?

2tyred

You only need a new wheel if you want one.

My ss hardtail has a DMR revolver ss hub, which takes a screw-on freewheel. This looks pretty, but the freewheel doesn’t last anywhere near as long as a converted freehub body (which is what you have if you convert in the method I described above).

thepodge
    Free Member

remove your old cassette from your current wheel

buy single speed converter kit (I prefer ones with individual spacers such as onza)

stick converter kit on your wheel

fit chain tensioner if you don’t have horizontal dropouts

remove front and rear shifter / cable / mech / chainrings you don’t need

ride, ride, ride

MrSalmon
    Free Member

remove your old cassette from your current wheel

buy single speed converter kit (I prefer ones with individual spacers such as onza)

stick converter kit on your wheel

fit chain tensioner if you don’t have horizontal dropouts

remove front and rear shifter / cable / mech / chainrings you don’t need

ride, ride, ride

Got it! Thanks all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Converting hybrid to SS’ is closed to new replies.