Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • converting a remedy 8 to 2X9 with chain guide?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

Hello you fine and sexy bunch of clever bike people,

I’ve decided to treat myself and join the overbiked :mrgreen: – on Sunday I bought a Trek Remedy 8 (2009) and it’s lovely, I’ve got a couple of things I want to do to it, new grips and pedals should be in the post… but the biggest adjustment I want to make is to drop the big ring and run it as either 1X9 or 2X9 with a bigger granny ring. I’d like a bash guard and in the interest of being a pimp, one of those snazzy E-Thirteen chain devices looks sexy.

Here’s the spec of the bike as it is (still completely standard):

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2009/archive/remedy8

Pretty certain it doesn’t have ISCG mounts, so would I be needing something like: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11453 to achieve such an ambitious goal?

It does have external BB cups, but not sure what BB is actually in there, being the technical n00b I am 🙂

Also, whilst we’re talking about pimping, anybody know the exact seatpost diameter? cant find any details online apart from a few suggestions its 31.6… which would be handy for a dropper post 😉

Cheers all x

RustyMac

Damn it, that’s the bike i had in the Hora sweep stake! Thats never going to come in now 😥 What happend the the love of your life the Transition Convert???

Is this an early birthday present to yourself?

flyingmonkeycorps

If you’re going double and bash surely all you need is one of these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17282

I run them (or variations of) on all my bikes and I don’t think I’ve ever dropped a chain. Well except when I had to run one with out a front mech for a while. But that’s not the device’s fault.

DezB
    Free Member

Hey phil, that’s a lovely bike you’ve gone n bought yourself.
    You massive great tart.

(can’t answer your questions cos I know nuffin of 1×9/2×9)

RustyMac

+1 on what Lethal D said, it looks lush.

Don’t know specifics about the seat tube or ISCG mounts, can’t seem to find any info on tinterweb.

Buy yourself some of these to measure the seat post diameter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150-mm-6-Digital-CALIPER-VERNIER-GAUGE-MICROMETER-9717-/170701667282?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item27be9cbbd2

Digital calipers are really useful for things like bolts, shock mounts and figuring out the size of bits and bobs if you can’t find the manufacturers specs.

ISCG mount thing you link to should provide you with the mounting points you require and possibly give you a better selection of chain guides to choose from. Although I believe you can get chain guides that mount to the BB in place of a spacer, just like the adapter. It may be easier to get a specific chain guide rather than an adapter then a guide.

It may be worth having a look at the Trek forum over on MTBR and asking there if you have no luck here.

njee20
    Free Member

Seatpost is 31.6.

You’re presumably going to up both ring sizes? Increasing just the inner would give a very odd combo.

If you have a standard external threaded BB then yes, that CRC adapter will work.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mmmm tis a lovely bike, i’m not religious but when i discovered the little village i was buying it from is called ‘PIMPerne’ i knew i needed it in my life.

yeah was thinking of putting a 36 and a 26 maybe?

philconsequence
    Free Member

dumb questions again:

would something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11441 be ok with 2 rings up front or can they only handle one?

cheers again for the help chaps x

njee20
    Free Member

That’s single. Why do you want a chainguide? You don’t need one at all with a double.

philconsequence
    Free Member

hmmm so used to only really using one gear that the thought of having 18gears just seems greedy 😆

if i went for a bash guard instead of big ring that’d be the cheapest and quickest solution i’m guessing?

deore XT cranks will be 104bcd yah?

i dont want to assume things and buy the wrong stuff, apologies for asking stoopid questions 😳

flyingmonkeycorps

That’ll only work with a single ring. If I were you, I’d either leave it as it is ’till the rings wear out and need changing anyway, then upgrade to something like 24-36-Bash with a BB mount chainguide like the Stinger I linked to.

OR, if you definitely want a bash / guide now, swap the big ring for a 36t compatible bash and stick a Stinger in there as well.

But I’m all for running things till they wear out / break, or at the very least until they stop you from having fun because they don’t work.

As I say, I’ve had Stinger + double / bash on all my bikes for ages, including the hardtail which does lots of rocky descents and the full sus that goes to the Alps, and never yet has it failed me.

RustyMac

Yes and Yah

flyingmonkeycorps

You might need longer chainring bolts for a bash too, depending which one you get.

philconsequence
    Free Member

main thing is getting rid of the big ring and getting a bash on there, dont like slicing my sexy right leg on the big ring 😆

cheers chaps 😀 x

DezB
    Free Member

dont like slicing my sexy right leg on the big ring

Simple. Learn to ride a bike.
    😛

snakebite
    Free Member

I put a Gamut on my Remedy, great bit of kit that just works. Never lost my chain even on proper rooty rocky descents while trying to pedal.

Gamut P30

Have run my standard granny and stuck a 34 on when the 32 wore out

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I’ve run a 22/36/bash with an E13 DRS for a while now on a 2009 Remedy and it’s great, but I’m swapping to a single front ring now with an E13 LG1+. I hardly ever use the granny ring so fancy trying 1×9 for a while. I ‘m using a bb mount back plate for the chain devices which works perfectly well.

I can confirm the 31.6 seat post size btw, perfect for an upgrade to a dropper post 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

thank you you bunch of kind sexy people (and dez)!

just ordered a basic cheap MRP bash (32-36) so that once i’ve worn out the middle ring i can change it to a 34 or 36… if, like my hardtail, i find that i never ever ever use the granny ring then i’ll prob end up going the same direction as badgerpoo 🙂 but for now i’ve decided to throw on the bash and just get on with having some fun!

time to browse dropper posts…

snakebite
    Free Member

Reverb every time…. 😀
    IIRC, the 09 Remedy didnt have any ISG mounts did it?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘converting a remedy 8 to 2X9 with chain guide?’ is closed to new replies.