Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • convert solid axles to QR???
  • criefftony
    Free Member

My sons bike (Islabikes Beinn 24) has solid axles on the rear. I'd really like to convert to QR, mainly so it fits in the boot and so that I don't have to carry a big heavy adjustable spanner in my bag.

So looking for some advice… is it possible? Easy? and what bits will I need?

Thanks

michaelbowden

just a hoolow qr axle and qr

kimbers

if the axel has a diameter of 10mm
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=287

will take a few seconds – im assuming that the axels are that size as its the standard diameter for the dropouts on frames

edit

oh its an islabike oops read the post correctly ignore all my bollox above unless its a 135mm spaced rear?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    criefftony
    Free Member

Nice one Kimbers… it is 135 x 10mm axle
    Cheap and easy answer… gotta love Superstar!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

That part won't do the job- you'll need something with cones and a thread (i doubt a kid's bike comes with cartridge bearing hubs).

This is what you need-

http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?pc=2&pt=23&pg=2207

Yes, it says 145mm (they also do 140mm) but you need some to fit inside the dropouts- so the end of the cones will be 135mm apart, with some extra to fit in the dropout. You'll need to measure your dropout thickness to decide which to go for.

When we fit these to bikes we usually use the cones and bits off the axle already in the hub as there's usually some variation.

criefftony
    Free Member

thanks for that Spokes
    I've just been playing around with it and it seems you're right… cones and loose balls!
    Could the original axle be a different thread…3/8th perhaps? I can't seem to get a M10 nut to go on it? Measures up at about 9.3mm but won't take a new nut.
    I'm getting very puzzled now.
    T

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Could well be a different thread. The cones on the Weldtite axle will work with the hub just fine though.

shortcut

Disappointed no one helpfully suggested drilling it! 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘convert solid axles to QR???’ is closed to new replies.